Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Please help me keep my sanity

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2004, 04:23 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Please help me keep my sanity

Am/ Was due to move next Thursday, from here in South Herts to South Lincs.

Would you believe we still haven't exchanged contracts.
All due to some cack-handed solicitor at the bottom of the chain who can't do his job properly , who thinks he's god, and will not talk to anyone (thats solicitors and the common people like you and me ), up the chain who is trying to discover what is going on.

I am in tears here writing this....... come on you lot...... make me laugh, restore my belief in human nature.......tell me its all going to be ok in the end.
Old 23 July 2004, 04:25 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Still time yet - not unheard of to exchange and complete on same day.
Old 23 July 2004, 04:26 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Really ? Blaady hell....what does one do about a removal company ?
Old 23 July 2004, 04:32 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

You're not the only one being screwed about by a solicitor, many of them are slow. They take on far more work than they can handle because they can't resist all that lovely lolly.
Old 23 July 2004, 04:33 PM
tmo
Scooby Regular

I had this a couple of years ago, basically got the other party to phone the solicitor and promise to go down and sit in his office until it was sorted. I sent a fax saying the same thing .... worked a treat.

It will all come together don't worry.
Old 23 July 2004, 04:47 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

We exchanged on the thurdsay and moved on the followng monday... talk about stress...
Old 23 July 2004, 04:49 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

AAaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Don't even start me on selling a house - I can't make you smile - but I can tell you I've been working on selling ym house for (wait for it) 2 WHOLE YEARS NOW!!!!

I'm supposed to know by the end of play today (6pm) whether or not the purchaser who has dicked us around since April (despite us turning down a higher offer on the grounds he said he'd move quickly) - actually still wants to go ahead and exchange contracts.

When you're caught between solicitors, estate agents and mortgage comapnies, no one wins!

I REALLY, REALLY REEEEEAALLLLLLYYYY feel for you - all I can offer is sympathy and a bloody great <<<<HUG>>>>
Old 23 July 2004, 06:08 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Awww Thanks DBW............... and all the rest of you.
End of play today we are now looking at the 2nd August instead of 29th July. All because some d!ckhead of a solicitor is too grand to do his JOB.

Can't praise our agents highly enough. They deserve a gold medal. And my solicitor has had my paperwork ready for eons. Nah, its just one pratt as per usual.
I'm sure Karma will get him one day.
Old 23 July 2004, 06:10 PM
Lord Shrek
Scooby Regular

whereabouts in lincs?

grantham?
Old 24 July 2004, 08:07 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about that Apparition, I would be jumping up and down too. Did have a problem with a solicitor years ago in exactly the same way but eventually he got it together.

I would be sorely tempted to threaten to sue him these days. Who does he think he is to make life so difficult for you?

Les
Old 24 July 2004, 08:23 AM
Toongirl
Scooby Newbie

Can only empathise as we are going through exactly the same thing. So far we've had three moving dates and finally, fingers crossed, it's next Friday. Have to wait till Monday to exchange having been promised that it would be yesterday. Our solicitor has been brilliant but problems further up the chain. Removal people, I should think, are sick and tired of us changing dates... along with NTL, Sky....etc.
Hope everything goes okay!
Old 24 July 2004, 10:15 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

@apparition

what do you call 5000 conveyancing solicitors at the bottom of the sea?

A START.

Feel for ya. had the same probs last year. and my purchaser was a 1st time buyer as well. i had no chain FFS!!!!

cheers

big sinky
Old 27 July 2004, 10:23 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Sanity restored....we exchanged today, only to discover that we will actually now be completing on the 11th of Aug.
Bit different to the 29th July.
Still, at least we will have time to pack properly and sort out stuff.
Thanks for all your support.
Old 27 July 2004, 10:25 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Lord Shrek........ Near Bourne. Just inside the border ! Ha ha. Hope all you others experiencing probs are soon sorted.
Old 28 July 2004, 09:43 AM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

I'm glad you've got your sanity back. We bought our house off a complete lunatic, of course, we didn't know this when viewing the house because she wasn't there but it materialised after our offer was accepted. She lied to us on a weekly basis, delayed us for 7 months, paid visits to our solicitor and shouted at him and his secretary for things which were her fault. It got to the point where our solicitor didn't want to deal with her at all and we had to plead with him to stick it out for a bit longer! When we got the keys to the house all seemed okay, apart from the psycho had taken odd things like plants out of the garden (there were holes everywhere), the battery out of the smoke alarm, light bulbs. 2 days after moving in I opened the front door to find a large pile of mail on the doorstep, and we then realised she had taken the letterbox off the bloody wall as well!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Apparition, moving house is so stressful but I'll send you a cloud of good karma and hope the move is as stress free as possible.
Old 28 July 2004, 10:10 AM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

Angry

A friend of mine had some problems with his solicitor, he ignored his phone calls and refused to meet him for over two weeks past the agreed date of completion
In the end he waited for him outside the back of his office and 'explained' to him that he needed to up his act.
Strangely it was all sorted by lunch the next day
Old 28 July 2004, 10:15 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Feel for you. We were homeless for 2 weeks because although I'd tried to get my mortgage sorted out for the end of December, it was actually the 13th February when it we completed and exchanged. My rental contract ran out on the 1st February. For 2 weeks I was driving between Redditch & Bedford every day and my other half was driving from Bedford to London every day. Fortunately my parents let us stay with them in Bedford for those 2 weeks.

It only went through then because of my solicitors, though. I saw them on the Tuesday and stated that we needed to be in SOON, so she contacted the building society who actually did transfer the money over on the Friday as they said they would.

I received the phone call at about 9:30am on the Friday and by 11am I had the keys in my hand and we were moving in!

Bit of an auspicious date though....Friday 13th February....

LOL!

Best of luck, Apparition and hope that you get to move soon.
Old 28 July 2004, 12:47 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Thanks once again you all.....
Minor Threat : Our buyers knocked us down by £3000 at the 11th hour...so we have er........... removed several bits and pieces that we were going to leave from the goodness of our hearts originally. Nothing that contradicts the 'list' given to the solicitors but things that will **** them off. Sorry to hear about your looney woman vendor, she sounds a sandwhich short of a picnic!
We were going to leave a list of local doctors etc but again, they can now go find out all that by themselves.
BTW Someone has suggested leaving some prawns inside the curtain poles...but my good nature prevents me. I'm too nice for my own good.!