Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Giving up a job due to injury...

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2004, 03:25 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Giving up a job due to injury...

Any employment experts about?

A couple of years ago I had an operation to correct tendonitis in my left wrist, which was partially a result from being chained to a computer keyboard all day at work.

Now my wrist has flared up again and another operation is likely.

I don't see why I should do a job that is going to cause me an operation every 3 years or so, so it's about time I looked at alternative jobs - but got no idea what, the only things I've fancied doing involve computers!

Just wondering what my position is with regard to packing my job in due to my injury? Would I be able to claim Disability or whatever until I sorted out something else?
Old 22 July 2004, 03:36 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Has your employer taken all practicable steps to ensure you don't suffer injury at work? They should have carried out an Office safety assessment to ensure they had you positioned correctly at your workstation. If you had an op because of their negligence you could be in for a claim.
Old 22 July 2004, 03:47 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Work wasn't the initial cause of the problem - I broke my wrist and my scaphiod bone which both went undetected, and the tendonitis developed becuase of them.

Scaphiod bone is currently "dead" as it never knitted back togther and I can have an operation to replace it which will [supposedly but not guarantee] stop the pain but will leave it with less mobility.

Going to doctor's tomorrow for likely cortisone injection (followed by days of pain)
Old 22 July 2004, 04:28 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Hi m8
I'm in that position just now where I have given up work while waiting for a kidney op. Discussed it with my employer and we decided they would terminate my employment and I would claim sick pay(disability allowance) from the state rather than the employer (SSP). Really only claiming to get my NI paid as the allowance is £55 a week. Mind you if I was a lowlife I would probably be able to claim allsorts.
By doing this they will re-employ me after the op as I've not taken the **** with sickies etc etc.
Hope this helps
Alas