Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Freezer Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2004, 09:31 AM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freezer Help Needed!

(Mods - if this should be moved to another Forum, can you give it 24 hours in here please? I'm desperate!)

We've just bought a brand new Hotpoint RZA50 Freezer (not frost free) and have had it for a couple of weeks.

Since it was installed, it's been making a racket - a kind of buzzing/hissing noise from the back where the motor is. We had an engineer out who says that "they all do that mate". But the old one we replaced which was 12 years old and as inefficient as hell, was practically silent.

This new one sounds like it's running all the time and is struggling - I reckon the gas (butane apparently) has leaked out (it stank of gas for the first day - we were told it was normal) and it's now struggling. It's cooling as it should, but I reckon it's buggered.

It's an A rating on the efficiency scale, so my question is: Does anyone have the figures for the Efficiency scales? I've got it plugged into a mains diagnoser which is telling me how much voltage etc it's drawing - how can I quantify whether it's running all the time and whether it's fooked and running like a category F freezer?

Cheer in advance guys!
Old 21 July 2004, 09:34 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

can't help much but my seimens f*ck off fridge freezer thing (about a year old now) makes the same kind of noise - not all the time, though. i've tried kicking it, shaking it - doesn't seem to make much difference. some days noise; some days no noise. i just ignore it now. i'd rather have the noise than have the muppets that curries send round to "fix" it.

Last edited by ProperCharlie; 21 July 2004 at 09:42 AM.
Old 21 July 2004, 09:39 AM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

Ring Hotpoint direct and speak to Customer Services....get it from the horses mouth!!!

Some of the 'newer' models are noisier, don`t know why but they are. Perhaps you can change it from the store you got it from......???
Old 21 July 2004, 09:42 AM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ProperCharlie
can't help much but my seimens f*ck off fridge freezer thing (about a year old now) makes the same kind of noise - not all the time, though. i've tried kicking it, shaking it - doesn't seem to make much difference. some days noise; some days no noise. i just ignore it now. i'd rather have the noise that have the muppets that curries send round to "fix" it.
I know what you mean mate. This one makes the high pitched 'buzzing' noise that I think it should make all the time, but on top of that is a gurgling type noise - sounds just like when you run a really hot bath and then turn the taps off - you can hear the water in the pipes and the emersion tank etc.

Or like when a radiator is filling when the heating comes on.

And it's doing this ALL the time...
Old 21 July 2004, 10:50 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you let it stand for X hours before turning it on? You're supposed to. (2, 4, 6, not sure how many).

Our Siemens is silent - or I think it is, anyway.

Thermostat set too cold?
Old 21 July 2004, 12:03 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Shouldnt make a noise all the time, the gas is not butane but R134A, used to be Freon.
Old 21 July 2004, 12:16 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
Shouldnt make a noise all the time, the gas is not butane but R134A, used to be Freon.
Really? The engineer(technician) who came to look at it last week insisted that the old gases that used to be used up till last year, have now been phased out and replaced with lighter fluid - butane, because you need less butane to act as a refrigerant...

Mind you - I don't trust these technicians!

I can understand that it should make SOME noise while it's running (Thermostat is set to the warmest setting at which it'll keep everything frozen. 2 on the scale where 1 is the warmest.

It's not running at the moment, but since I put the plug device on the wire 24 hours ago, the motor has been running for 18 hours. That can't be right, surely!? The door is sealing properly and I can see no evidence of a leak. It was left for 24 hours to chill, when it was first installed... Odd...