15 years too late!!

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2004, 10:56 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15 years too late!!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,3...11282,,00.html

Its apology comes in the wake of the angry reaction on Merseyside caused by Everton and England soccer star Wayne Rooney's deal to tell his life story to the newspaper, for a reported £250,000.
Old 07 July 2004, 11:00 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

They only apologised in concern over possible damages to their profits
Old 07 July 2004, 11:03 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

lol- just like they screwed with the ref that played the england game.
Old 07 July 2004, 11:04 AM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Wink

If you read the article they are saying "get over it, it was 15 years ago"

I would tend to agree, they have said sorry....what more do you want?

Jeez I would want to fall out with you!!
Old 07 July 2004, 11:10 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Football - its like relgion. removes the capacity for rational thought.
Old 07 July 2004, 11:14 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

WHAT??!!!

What The Sun finds most depressing about what is going on in Liverpool is the way trouble is stirred up by the local papers, the Post and the Echo.

Who owns the Post and Echo?

None other than Trinity Mirror.

The same company that owns The Sun’s rival, the Daily Mirror.

The misery being inflicted on Wayne Rooney is a crude effort by them to make commercial gain.
Those ******* local papers, stirring up trouble and misery simply for commercial gain! Thank God the Sun doesn't do that!

As for 15 years is a long time - when was the last time they printed an article on Germany without mentioning WWII?

I AM ******* SPEECHLESS
Old 07 July 2004, 11:14 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

This isn't a case of being football related really. It's what the people of Merseyside feel as a whole about it, whether they are a Blue or a Red. Rooney is even getting a slating on some of the Everton bbs.
Old 07 July 2004, 11:16 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Sadly I was there and I agree mostly with all the investigations into the policing etc.

This was the second year Forest and Liverpool had met to play the same match at the same venue and the organistaion and policing was a lot more "relaxed" at the second match.

There was also one more difference, the weather. On the day of the disaster in was a hot sunny day, all the streets and pubs were lined with supporters less than half an hour before kick off, they did leave it very late to get into the ground.

The kick off should have been delayed and there should have been better policing but also there was a section of fans who left it to the last minute to enter the ground.

Sadly nearly all those that died were the fans that got into the ground early so were at the front and even sadder that alot of these were young.

For me, most of the bodies were lined up in front of where I was stood, the vision is still as fresh in mind mind as though it were yesterday.
I also have memories of some brilliant police officers including one WPC who was in her first week, she eventually collapsed on our bus on the way to the train station but had been doing CPR and checking bodies for ages.

Lee

Last edited by logiclee; 07 July 2004 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07 July 2004, 11:19 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

15 years or 15,000 years, doesn't matter. Their accusations were inhamane, inexcusable and downright despicable . . . No apology can ever fix that.
Old 07 July 2004, 11:35 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/history/media.shtm

http://www.photocritic.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13267

The Sun must be delusional if they think that apology will help them sell more papers in Liverpool
Old 07 July 2004, 11:51 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

So presumably Rooney or any other Merseyside footballer has never talked to the Post in the last 14 years either ?

Surprisingly one of the most offensive reports came from much closer to home, the Liverpool Daily Post. An article written by John Williams and entitled: "I blame the yobs" warrants extensive quoting:

So it was at Hillsborough that the yobs made enough nuisance of themselves to convince the police that so-called gates of Hell were opened… the gatecrashers wreaked their fatal havoc. At best it was unfettered zeal. At worst it was uncontrolled fanaticism and mass hysteria which literally squeezed the life out of men, women and children. This was yobbism at its most base. People without tickets who had no right to be there were crushing to death their fellow Scousers. When it comes to apportioning blame, the accusatory finger can also be pointed at Liverpool. Scouse killed Scouse for no better reason than 22 men were kicking a ball.

Given that this journalist was working locally you might think that he would be more likely to have his finger on the pulse. Apparently not
How exactly is Rooney to blame for what some idiot of an editor published in the past.

Only In England - ttake one of the brightest stars and villify them for feeding the media fenzy thats not of their own making.
Old 07 July 2004, 11:51 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Hate only hurts the hater, not the hated. It's time the people of Liverpool moved on. Fifteen years is still within the memory of alot of people, but it is also a fair amount of time to have passed and still feel so much hatred.

Do you think the Sun really cares? Of course not.

Having a go at Wayne Rooney for writing in the Sun is as ridiculous as having a go at him for buying a BMW, or writing for Die Weld. It was not his generation that was involved, why should he carry on hatred from his father/mother etc.? We don't dislike the Germans of Japanese, but it is understandable how some of our grandparents cannot forgive them (especcially the Japs for their treatment of POWs), so in the same vein, he should not have to carry the misfortunes of old on his shoulders.

Probably get flamed, but then again, we have the same arguments at work with scousers, so off you go.

Geezer
Old 07 July 2004, 11:55 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Not read the Sun article before.....

I didn't see any fans near the bodies, no-one attacked the police. Forest and Liverpool coaching and training staff including youth members were carrying the injured and dead on advertising boardings, i never saw or heard anything other than respect for those that were trying to rescue peolpe. The only sign of any trouble was when the first Liverpool fans spilled onto the pitch as most people in the crowd thought it was an invasion at first.

On the flip side the police that I saw on the pitch were doing everything they could to help as were a lot of other people.
The fans that were sat sunbathing 20 minutes before kick off and then caused a massive crush at the gate to have to share some responsibility for the disaster IMO.

What is 100% clear though is those that died were innocent law abbiding supporters and systems should have been in place to ensure their safety.

Lee
Old 07 July 2004, 12:14 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

I agree with you Geezer

My brother was at Hillsborough and he too was subjected to a line of bodies in front of him not only that he was at heysel aswell. Up until then he had been a season ticket holder all his life. He gave up his season ticket after the above occured and he is frightened of crowded confined spaces such as concerts and cinemas

He got over it (well as much as he could) and now gets on with his life. I asked him the other day what he thought of Rooney selling his story to the Scum. He said, i dont read that paper nor any tabloid paper as they are all as bad as each other but if the lad is making bunce from selling his story to the Scum then so be it. After all he was still sh1tt1ng in his nappies at that age, it's not his battle.

I do not read tabloid press although i do have the Liverpool Echo delivered to my door and generally read it BUT i even take that with a pinch of salt coz as the Scum rightly say's, the Echo is owned by the Mirror. The echo have tried to manipulate Rooney's contract talks by saying "go to united and help Everton out the ****" what crap. Isnt it down to EFC if they let him go. The Mirror will manipulate anything if it goes in Uniteds favour.

I haven't read one piece of crap about Rooney going here or there coz i know its all sh1te. Rooney will remain an Everton player for quite some time and good luck to the lad. The only thing i can suggest is, did that boil on the @rse of humanity Paul Stretford advice young Wayne of the repercussions if he sold his story. I think not coz the leech gets his £25,000 for nothing

BTW yes i'm an Evertonian
Old 07 July 2004, 12:17 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Oh yes....................Unless a story physically quotes an individual as saying something then dont believe it.

A reliable source said XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. What sh1te, it must be easy writing stories based on "a reliable source"
Old 07 July 2004, 12:53 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Another question is: Does Merseyside want to lose one of it's most (if not, THE) promising young players ever. If he continues to be vilified then he and his family may move away (would you blame them?) to another club. Is him selling his story (lets face it he's not the first or last) really that important that you want rid of the kid?
Old 07 July 2004, 01:14 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

I doubt whether that will be taken into consideration. Souness was forced to move on from LFC, he sold the story on his heart problems to the The Sun. Liverpool fans were still furious with the newspaper for the way they had covered the Hillsborough disaster three years earlier and felt they had been betrayed by Souness' decision to sell to The Sun.

So I guess the feeling on Merseyside, is that Rooney has betrayed them too. Why did Rooney's advisers allow Rooney's story to get into the Sun? They would know the problems it would cause. Maybe thats what they want, they want to drive Rooney out of Merseyside to another club. Rooney's agents are not acting in his best interests IMO.
Old 07 July 2004, 01:36 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

redkop - And the Daily Post ? From your own links that also published stories blaming the Fans. gerrard, owen, rooney never done an interview for that paper. ? - They do get paid for interviews you know.

And DJ Dunk = 15,000 years hmm I fear what some idiot paper printed will actually not matter a toss then at all. After all I dont really bear France a grudge for 1066 and that was *only* 1000 years ago - despite the viciously one-sided depiction in the Bayeaux tapestry.

As I said, Football - like religion - removes the capcity for rational thought.

Deano
Old 07 July 2004, 01:51 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Redkop
I doubt whether that will be taken into consideration. Souness was forced to move on from LFC, he sold the story on his heart problems to the The Sun. Liverpool fans were still furious with the newspaper for the way they had covered the Hillsborough disaster three years earlier and felt they had been betrayed by Souness' decision to sell to The Sun.

So I guess the feeling on Merseyside, is that Rooney has betrayed them too. Why did Rooney's advisers allow Rooney's story to get into the Sun? They would know the problems it would cause. Maybe thats what they want, they want to drive Rooney out of Merseyside to another club. Rooney's agents are not acting in his best interests IMO.
maybe the fans should look at themselves and how pathetic they are for trying to turn this onto a young man who is only trying to be the best he can be. Their gripe is with the paper and it should not be aimed at Rooney. maybe the good people in Liverpool should try and explain that to the idiots who feel they have a right to drive a young man out of his family home for doing nothing more than giving an interview.
Old 07 July 2004, 01:52 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Redkop

Lynne, Stretford gets 10% for the interview (£25,000) not bad for sitting on his lazy fat @rse. Stretford or any agent couldn't give two ***** who's toes they step on to get their money. When an agent say's it may be the right time for the player to move whatr this really means is "****, i could do with a new villa in Florida, i'd better see if i can get the lad a high money move so that i can get my 10%.

There isn't ONE agent who has their clients best interests at heart.......................... unless your Michael Owens Dad

Like i said Leeches the lot of them and as soon as players ditch them, the better the game will be. How can anyone justify earning a mans average earnings over 5 years in one week. In 10 weeks they can earn an average mans salary of a lifetime and thats just wages, let alone bonuses, sponsorship and interview / appearence money
Old 07 July 2004, 01:53 PM
yoza
BANNED

Rooney's publicity team have told Wayne to do these artcles, for a reason.

It will make it easier for him to make a move away from Everton, now that the majority of fans have a sour taste in their mouths.

He is going...
Old 07 July 2004, 02:09 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by yoza
Rooney's publicity team have told Wayne to do these artcles, for a reason.

It will make it easier for him to make a move away from Everton, now that the majority of fans have a sour taste in their mouths.

He is going...
u reckon? everton have just offered him a 5 yr deal today, do u think he'll pass on it?
Old 07 July 2004, 02:09 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

How much would you like to bet on that Yoz
Old 07 July 2004, 02:41 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

I tend to agree with Yoza, there is a reason behind all this. Why wait over 15 years to apologise publically?
Old 07 July 2004, 02:55 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

I think you're all reading too much into this.
In practice Rooney is just a young kid who likes playing football and the Sun probably offered him the most money,........thats it.
Old 07 July 2004, 02:58 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Conspiracy theorists

or

Liverpool fans
Old 07 July 2004, 03:06 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Afraid the bluenoses are posting about it on EFC sites, that they see it as a conspiracy too Pete.
Old 07 July 2004, 03:26 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

They're / we are all in the dark. Take away what the tabloid press have wrote from their "reliable sources" and what are you left with.

Rooney has stated all he wants to do is play football for the club he loves and supported as a lad. FACT

Rooney has stated he wants to stay at Everton. FACT

Rooney has stated that he wants to be a part of a revival at Everton. FACT

Bill Kenwright has said "I will not sell Wayne Rooney, if Rooney gets sold it will be Waynes decision or David Moyes' decision" FACT

David Moyes has said "I will not sell Wayne Rooney, if Rooney gets sold it will be Waynes decision or Bill Kenwrights decision" FACT

Wayne Rooney has agreed to hold talks with Everton about a proposed 3 year extension to his contract, taking him to 2009. The deal is the biggest in EFC's history and i'm sure Wayne is fully aware of what is on offer and is under no illusion when he agreed to sit down with Moyesy. FACT

EFC have slapped a £50 mil price tag on Rooney so unless you're prepared to say you will meet the £50 mil demand, dont bother enquiring FACT

Man Utd and Chelsea have both ruled themselves out. So who is it now, Real Madrid FACT

No contact has ever been made by a club for Rooney FACT

Please somebody give me a FACT and a quote from someone who knows. Please not something from the likes of Andy Gray who thinks everything he say's comes true but somebody like an Everton board member or a senior member from another club who is interested in him
Old 07 July 2004, 03:30 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

He's going..................FACT

Old 07 July 2004, 03:32 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

lol

Quick Reply: 15 years too late!!