Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Possible driving offence

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2004, 09:04 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by Dave uk blue mica; 04 July 2004 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02 July 2004, 09:16 PM
Prince Popeye
BANNED

Similar thing happened to me. the feds took me to the station and i told them that my driving was within the law. case dismissed.
Old 02 July 2004, 09:23 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Happened to a mate too. Their parting words were "see you in court" but he never heard a thing. He was driving like a tit to be fair to the coppers, and it was enough to scare him into behaving himself for a week or two!

I'd try http://pepipoo.com/ if i were you. I think they have a fixed period in which they must NIP you (if they are going to). Something like 6 months I *think*....
Old 02 July 2004, 09:25 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I would ask this question on www.5ive-0.com

I personally don't overtake cars on double-white lines as it is dangerous for your health as they are usually there (more so than speed cameras) for your safety.

The problem that you have is that 2 police officers saw you do it & it is their word against yours. In a magistrates court, their word counts for more than yours.

I would also suggest that you didn't post the fact that you are guilty as heck on a public BBS
Old 02 July 2004, 10:17 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Did they give you a verbal warning along the lines of "You will be considered for prosecution for the offence of ..."

If they did this then they don't need to send you an NIP and have 6 months to send you a summons. If they didn't do this then you need to get some form of notice of intended prosecution within 2 weeks of the offence, assuming you are the keeper of the vehicle and allowing a few extra days for postage etc.

The car you overtook wasn't stationary by any chance was it? Just a thought, I believe it is legal to overtake a stationary vehicle on a unbroken white line.

Also, I assume it was an unbroken white line and not just broken white lines with chevrons in between them? In that instance you may enter the hatched area if it is safe to do so.

If they did "drag" you out of the car then, clearly, that is assult and you should bear that in mind. However, don't expect them to tell anything approximating to the truth in court.

The bottom line in this, and the lesson for everyone, is never, ever speak to the police except to provide basic factual information that is required by law. Admit to nothing, express a view on nothing, provide opinions on nothing etc. The fact that you said nothing is probably why you may be in the clear.

That you are smart enough to have done this is to your credit so hopefully you will also be smart enough to consider the sensibilities of overtaking on solid white lines. I know they can be a pain but there is usually some good reason why they are there, even if it isn't always clear.
Old 02 July 2004, 11:26 PM
scoooby nut
Scooby Regular

get this then i done wheelie past the police station a cooper said he seen me from 1 of the windows and came after me he cought me up at a set of lights i told him it wasnt me and he had no prof he didnt take me back to the cop shop but he made me do a full statement on the side of the road that took over 1 hr and that was may last year never heard a thing of them cause they couldnt prov ****
Old 03 July 2004, 12:03 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
I would also suggest that you didn't post the fact that you are guilty as heck on a public BBS
Yes, ironic isn't it. Admission of guilt to a bunch of strangers on a public BBS known to be read by many cops

If they didn't have evidence before, they do now......

I'd zap your post quick just on the offchance....
Old 03 July 2004, 12:08 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

The police have neither the money of the will (too busy maintaining scameras) to link BBS ID's to people so I wouldn't worry too much
Old 03 July 2004, 12:10 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Also have to add, double whites are the one thing done well in this country. Never really seen a set that I didn't agree with, although admittedly someone in a fast car could probably have time to overtake safely in some of them - but no matter, 99% of the time, they ARE there for a good reason.

You don't really see double whites on a "safe" bit of road where someone just put them there for the sake of it.

PS My traffic cop mate used to stop people who crossed the lines on "double-white" corners. So next time you're on a spirited drive in the Highlands, remember not to cut any double-white corners just to take the "racing" line.
Old 03 July 2004, 12:11 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
The police have neither the money of the will (too busy maintaining scameras) to link BBS ID's to people so I wouldn't worry too much
I do have to admit, I've never heard of a traffic offence being proven by admission of guilt on a BBS, but there's always a first for everything

Just because it hasn't been done, doesn't mean it can't be done.....
Old 03 July 2004, 12:14 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imlach
You don't really see double whites on a "safe" bit of road where someone just put them there for the sake of it.
There are two stretches on the long winding A37 through somerset where they hatched out overtaking lanes and bordered with double whites so you can no longer use them at all. Now everyone risks overtaking on the less safe stretches - real stroke of genius that one!
Old 03 July 2004, 01:20 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If the two coppers saw you cross the double white lines then their evidence in court is enough to convict you, so they have got you bang to rights!

Doesn't sound as though they acted in a pleasant way towards you but that is a different matter to the business about the white lines bit.

You will just have to wait to see if you are sent a NIP or a summons eventually.

Les
Old 03 July 2004, 03:01 PM
PIXIEDUST
Scooby Regular

hI Dave ,
I think to be a copper in gwent you must have an unfortunate attitude,watched them one day measuring a number plate on a bike in tredegar so i'm pretty sure you would have heard something by now if they had a decent enough case against you.
Old 03 July 2004, 08:20 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

You overtook on a double white, committed an offence, but you know that and are just wondering if it might go further under the circumstances you mentioned. Fair enough.

But the cheese heads cussing the cops need to realise that these same guys will have had to deal with plenty of fatalities and mess caused by this sort of offence amongst many others. Maybe they'd even had one that day?

Given the choice of some grief from the old bill or going to court and taking my chances (which in this case either means lying to try and get off or admitting guilt) I think I'd take the former.
Old 03 July 2004, 08:27 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

I'm sure the cops will put 2 + 2 together and work out exactly who dave uk blue mica really is - NOT!