Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

im sorry, but now they are taking the P*** out of us with GATSO's!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2004, 09:18 PM
zenyck100@hotmail.com
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im sorry, but now they are taking the P*** out of us with GATSO's!!!!!

drove into cardiff city centre today to get a few things for my son. i havent drove to the city centre for a couple of months but i knew there were 2 Gatsos after gabalfa flyover. to my amazement and total disbelief another THREE Gatsos have appeared on the same stretch of road. that now makes FIVE gatsos on a stretch of road a mile or so long, three facing one way and two facing the other.

so on a trip into the Cardiff city centre and home again you could lose your license.
im not suprised that the majority of people are against speed cameras and hate them and the idiots putting them up.

this sort of thing really ticks me off. im going to buy a new road angel this week as my old bel 550 just doesnt pick the gatso's up in time. lucky i wasnt speeding.

what the hell gives them the right to put that many on that road??? what a joke!!!!!

i think something has to be done about these. i may actually e-mail "The Sun" newspaper and tell them about this one i know they hate the Gatso's

just thought i should share this with all you lot as it really wound me up today.

Zen
Old 25 June 2004, 09:38 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

and how many fatalities is it supposed to be per "safety camera?"
Old 25 June 2004, 09:40 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

probably most of them were just empty boxes anyway... which is why you didnt pick them up.
Old 25 June 2004, 10:07 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Same here in Bedford on the A6 bedford to Luton road their are 6 camera's each about half mile apart.
Old 25 June 2004, 10:19 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Angry

Last edited by scrappydoo; 02 May 2008 at 04:34 AM. Reason: privacy!
Old 25 June 2004, 10:30 PM
tronlc
Scooby Regular

Your 550 Bell doesnt pick them up?? I drive the same road and mine gets them at about the same time as my Road Angel.....

odd, when is it mounted?
Old 25 June 2004, 10:50 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Thank heavens for the road Angel

Trending Topics

Old 25 June 2004, 10:55 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

It is interesting to note that Rob Gifford, who is director of the Parliamentary Advisory Council for Transport Safety thought the recent announcement that road deaths had increased was "surprising" as there have been significant advances in car safety technology such as air bags.

In the decade before speed cameras were introduced, from 1984 to 1993, road deaths fell by 32 per cent. In the decade since, deaths have dropped by only 3.8 per cent and that despite Mr. Gifford's admission that the safety technology in cars has advanced in leaps and bounds during that time.

The partnerships, the police and the government are killing motorists on the roads to underwrite a flawed political position driven by a few Politically Correct green nutters who want cars off the roads.

As scrappydoo says we need to stand up and be counted, it's not a difficult thing to do either: next time you are talking to a local representative, at whatever level, make your feelings known and make it clear that you will vote for the most car friendly candidate at the next election. Your right to drive at all, never mind the side show of speed limits, is at risk here.
Old 25 June 2004, 11:00 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Coming down the A17 into Newark for the first time in a few years last week. Passed a couple of Gatso's then a Truvelo.
It's only a single carraigeway but I've been stuck behind a Lorry for miles doing 45-50mph. See a gap and floor it, get upto about 75 going by the Lorry just in time to spot a forward facing Truvelo pointing at me. Had to slam on the brakes and abort the overtake.
Now this was on a straight A road with clear overtaking and no side roads, nearly caused an accident.

Going to have to get myself a Road Angel or similar.

Lee
Old 25 June 2004, 11:29 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Accidents increased at 743 cameras sites. From your comments, and the experiences of most drivers, it is easy to see why.
Old 26 June 2004, 08:08 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

You think that is bad , We have a road where i live which has been deemed dangerous & has 12 cameras over a 2 mile stretch !! They call it a safety tunnel !!,
I think better education in the first instance would be the answer, Make the Car test more technical, How to control skids, Read the road, Be more aware of what happens or can happen in different driving conditions

Dean.

Then again, all this education would not bring in revenue, Silly Me
Old 27 June 2004, 12:21 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

The Chief Constable of Durham believes that education is the way to go when it comes to road safety, he is actually decreasing the number of tickets he issues to drivers (down 32% in one year) and has no cameras at all.

From what I understand from the latest figures fatalities have risen in almost every county but Durham, where they are static.

However, although this doesn't look so very impressive the situation is that his accident and fatality rate has already dropped, over the last few years, to significantly below the average level per km driven for the rest of the UK. From memory Durham is 32% down on fatalities and 42% down on accidents per km driven. An impressive improvement when we consider that the figures for North Wales, home of the CC Brunstrom who has put a camera on nearly every corner, have increased significantly.

Education works, cameras don't is the simple message here, unless of course you just want to grab cash and drive motorists off the road.
Old 27 June 2004, 12:31 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Ryhoper roae in sunderland theres about 6 along a mile stretch of it and last week i there was 1 of the vans parked on corner with cameras out the back with T5 parked further along, the road is only a 30mph limit with a school on it, i cant remember seing 1 crash on it traveling along it everyday for years going to and from school, college uni etc and cant remember one crash on it
Old 27 June 2004, 02:48 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

For the most of us who don't go mental in urban areas, cameras are another 'threat' that we spend time looking for when we should be looking at the road/conditions/other road users etc.

Perhaps it means that though we'll kill more people, they'll be legal 'cos we weren't speeding when we hit random pedestrians.

I fell uplifted by that thought

J.
Old 27 June 2004, 09:16 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Humberside Scamera partnership put in a planning application to the local council last month to put in a hard standing area for their vans. It got turned down !!!!

They said, "there are better ways of reducing accidents"

Also some of the residents on the road where the van sits objected.
Old 27 June 2004, 11:35 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Im not keen on the cameras on the M25. The amount of hard braking that goes on is quite dangerous really - trouble is, not many people have road angels or like me the B2 so they slow down at every gantry. Very few of them actually have working cameras on them.
Old 27 June 2004, 01:32 PM
DieselDoo
Scooby Regular

A little vilage near me has 19 speed bumps over a 2 mile stretch, could be that if cameras were used they would be vandalised. These things not only physically slow vehicles down but also plays muder if your car is lowered, no revenue in them but what would you prefer to see on our roads.

I now avoid driving through here taking the long way round adding about 4 miles each way on my journey.

Last edited by DieselDoo; 27 June 2004 at 01:38 PM.
Old 27 June 2004, 02:33 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Write to the local council, chamber of commerce, MP etc. pointing out that you used to do your shopping in the village but will now be taking your trade elsewhere. Copy the letter to the local paper. Point out that you will take your shopping somewhere with easy free car parking and no inverted pot holes.

The London Ambulance Service say that humps are directly responsible for 500 deaths per year in terms of slowing their response etc. As far as I am aware there has never been a study that has shown they have saved one single life. More lies from the people who want cars off the roads so make it clear to them that your car will be off their roads, and your cash will be going into someone elses shops and garages.
Old 27 June 2004, 11:33 PM
MarvSTi5
Scooby Regular

The Dutch wear clogs but we don't - so why the **** are we using their flamin' Gatsos ??
Old 28 June 2004, 10:56 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgehog
Write to the local council, chamber of commerce, MP etc. pointing out that you used to do your shopping in the village but will now be taking your trade elsewhere. Copy the letter to the local paper. Point out that you will take your shopping somewhere with easy free car parking and no inverted pot holes.

The London Ambulance Service say that humps are directly responsible for 500 deaths per year in terms of slowing their response etc. As far as I am aware there has never been a study that has shown they have saved one single life. More lies from the people who want cars off the roads so make it clear to them that your car will be off their roads, and your cash will be going into someone elses shops and garages.
We have humps and the flat pyramids all over our area. We had a 4000 signature petition against the traffic calming but they still went ahead with them. The pro-hump lobby was spearheaded by a chap who's wife was killed loading stuff in her car but the guy who hit her was four times over the drink drive limit.
It has put 3 miles on my usual journeys as I now travel round the estate, my wife has is disabled and has chronic back pain so it causes her major distress. Three local shops have closed as well as the local garage and pertol station because there is no through traffic. I run two cars and I don't think a year has gone by that I haven't had to replace suspension components or bushes etc on either car since the calming was put in.
When I had my Heart Attack the ambulance had to crawl over the humps, it put a few minutes on my getting to hospital, this could have proved fatal.

We have campaigned to have the humps removed and replace by chicanes and speed camera's, so far there has been no movement, the powers that be say the camera's are too expensive and wouldn't generate enough revenue to pay for themselves.

Same local authority have just calmed another local area and the local press is full of letters from Shop owners and a car dealership that have had their turnover slashed. Again it is falling on deaf ears.

We have the speed cameras on high speed straight roads where they can generate money, not on the low speed residential areas where they could protect children and pedestrians.

Lee
Old 28 June 2004, 11:11 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

The government know Speed Cameras don't work and are chuckling merrily to themselves because the muppets like BRAKE and similar keep saying how wonderful the speed cameras are, swallowing the government spin and spreading the propoganda like sheep.

The government know there will be a backlash on cameras before long, so in all resedential areas they are encouraging the installation of something even less acceptable than speed cameras. People then beg to have speed cameras insread. Suddenly support for speed cameras seems to be on the rise again.

The government have also done some very crafty market research. They give people 2 options, the options are unrelated so you get things like:
"Would you rather have a) Speed Cameras on your street b) Children killed on your street"

Well only somebody that is very twisted would actually say they would like to see Children killed, so you have to choose to have speed cameras. This is how they keep managing to claim that public support is so high for cameras, they give people choices that are not choices. Yes in the scheme of things I'd rather have cameras and fewer people killed, however we currently have cameras and MORE people getting killed. It is time to stop the lunacy.
Old 28 June 2004, 11:57 AM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

We've just had a motorcyclist killed near where my parents live as some dozy teenager pulled out without looking.

The council, in light of this obviously speed-related (and no other possible cause accident have decided that speed humps must now be put on the road. This is a road with good visibility and a very good accident record!

Speed had nothing to do with this accident and everything to do with complete lack of attention being paid to the road by the car driver - but naturally, government spin has speed as the main culprit of the majority of accidents so lets slow everything down and the accidents will stop! YEAH, RIGHT!