Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

HELP PLEASE! - Can you remove colour "bloom" from a telly?

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2004, 08:48 PM
mik
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP PLEASE! - Can you remove colour "bloom" from a telly?

Shuffling tellies about and put what is now the kids TV too close to a speaker. It was approx 15" away but after a couple of hours I noticed a bloom in the corner near the speaker. Moved the speaker away and.....it's much worse!

Thought the shielding would be better than that?

Anyway - bloom is corrected when I stick the speaker to the front and opposite side of the telly, but returns when I remove said speaker again.

I could just leave the speaker in front of the telly, but it makes viewing difficult

If I leave it there for an hour or so will it "fix itself"?

Does a combination of switching off/on / moving the magnetic source help?

obviously being a telly it doesn't have a degauss.

It was fine a couple of hours ago......is it fecked forever?

HELP!
Old 25 June 2004, 08:53 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Search for a "de-gauss option" on the TV!

edit: Ooops, didn't read the bit about no degauss option. You sure it doesn't? It can sometimes be hidden in menus
Old 25 June 2004, 08:54 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

many domestic TVs do a degauss when you turn the power on and off using the big switch on the front, though usually not when you just use the remote control.

I'm not sure I fully understand the question but give that a go and see if it helps.
Old 25 June 2004, 09:10 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Most modern tellys have an automatic degauss built in which kicks off at start up

my sony, has a slight blue bloom in one corner, but dissapears after a few secs...

i believe the way to accomplish your fix is to turn the tv off for several hours

unplugged from the mains (overnight) is best, and then turn it on to start the degaus,,

by reintroducing the speaker, you are running the risk of perminantly damaging

the tube.

hope this helps,

Mart
Old 25 June 2004, 09:16 PM
mik
Scooby Regular

gents - much appreciated - thank you!

had switched off telly but was doing it "softly" to standby only.

Defo no degauss option (f3ck - I even checked the manual! )

will see how we get on!

Old 25 June 2004, 09:34 PM
mik
Scooby Regular

Yay - it's FIXED

Full power down for 5 mins ~ was perfect on startup. Must have a degauss at initial power-up after all

I guess now I can.....ahem.... (whisper mode) admit it was my brand new telly. fresh out the box 2hrs ago. Insert suitable redfaced smiley here (/whisper mode).

Cheers again!
Old 25 June 2004, 09:44 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

A true father!!!!

and did you tell the mrs how mutch it actually cost!!!

Mart
Old 26 June 2004, 08:08 AM
mik
Scooby Regular

Yeah.

more or less

Old 26 June 2004, 10:23 AM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by mik
Yay - it's FIXED

Full power down for 5 mins ~ was perfect on startup. Must have a degauss at initial power-up after all

I guess now I can.....ahem.... (whisper mode) admit it was my brand new telly. fresh out the box 2hrs ago. Insert suitable redfaced smiley here (/whisper mode).

Cheers again!
The degauss circuit on a TV is usually a simple Thermistor pair in series with the degauss coil. As it does it's job it gets hot and causes the required current flow in the coil (Initially very high then diminishing). The causes the degauss effect (usually accompanied by a 'thump' noise especially on a Sony!). A small current flows thru it all the time the TV is on (and in most cases even in standby), keeping it hot. If you switch off then immediately back on, it is still hot and doesn't work. Leaving the TV off for 5 mins allows it to cool so it works next time. Old TV engineer's trick is carry a can of freezer to cool the thermistor - much better than leggin' 20 floors down in a block of flats to get the external degauss coil!

Shielding on modern TV's is crap - used to be excellent but it adds so much to the weight.

[/TV Lessons]
Old 26 June 2004, 10:28 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Question

my TV has got a green spot on it. it's about the size of a tennis ball. it's not massively noticeable but once you know it's there it can be annoying. i've tried all the switch off, leave off, switch on etc, but nothing seems to make any difference. is it likely to be irreparable now (been like that for well over a year)? the tv is a hitachi widescreen.
Old 26 June 2004, 11:16 AM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by ProperCharlie
my TV has got a green spot on it. it's about the size of a tennis ball. it's not massively noticeable but once you know it's there it can be annoying. i've tried all the switch off, leave off, switch on etc, but nothing seems to make any difference. is it likely to be irreparable now (been like that for well over a year)? the tv is a hitachi widescreen.
If the Tv hasn't been moved and no sources of mangetism (including things such as speakers or large lumps of metal - radiators and pipework being favourites), Could be a couple of things:

The degauss circuit has failed.

The tube or something else like the shielding has got a permanently magnetized spot which the internal degauss wont clear and requires an external degauss.

The purity magnets have shifted

The scan coils have shifted

The shadow mask has moved or if it's a trinitron style the aperture grille has moved.

Most likely are the top 2 and either really mean calling in an engineer (unless you have access to a nice big magnet). If its the shadow mask or aperture grille moved, it is terminal I'm afraid (new tube) as these are internal to the tube. Purity Magnets or scan coils shifting is unlikely but can happen and cheaply fixed.

Bottom line is it will need someone in to look at it or a new TV if you don't want it fixed. But check that nothing has changed (including the angle of the TV in the room - shielding is that crap nowadays that the earth's magnetism can affect the purity and the rotation of the picture!) no new pipework etc before condemning it.
Old 26 June 2004, 12:38 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

cheers for the info, trashman.

i had speakers next to the telly ages ago, but moved them. the spot has remained in the same place even when we moved house. i suppose it's probably not worth fixing as the telly is 4 or 5 years old now.
Old 26 June 2004, 12:52 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

cheers for the info, trashman.

i had speakers next to the telly ages ago, but moved them. the spot has remained in the same place even when we moved house. i suppose it's probably not worth fixing as the telly is 4 or 5 years old now.
Given the cost of new nowadays then prob not. Like VCR's, they're becoming throw away. Go get a Plasma - you know you want to! LOL
Old 26 June 2004, 03:46 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

i have already suggested to 'er indoors that a new telly is required, but for some reason she can't even see the colouration - even when i point out the exact spot. maybe she's colour blind...

anyway, 32" panasonic, or maybe toshiba, here we come!
Old 26 June 2004, 05:14 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

i have already suggested to 'er indoors that a new telly is required, but for some reason she can't even see the colouration - even when i point out the exact spot
Time to put that speaker back - better still by a 5.1 sound system and stick 'em all by the tele until she complains!
Old 26 June 2004, 05:23 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mik
had switched off telly but was doing it "softly" to standby only.
You do realise that the tv still consumes quite a bit of electricity while in standby mode?

Unless you like throwing pennies down the drain, always best to power it down at the switch.
Old 26 June 2004, 06:07 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imlach
You do realise that the tv still consumes quite a bit of electricity while in standby mode?

Unless you like throwing pennies down the drain, always best to power it down at the switch.
It's probably only 1 or 2 watts. Think it's restricted by regulation to 2 watts from 1999 onwards for Europe? US is limited to less than 1 watt and most European products would be of the same spec. Not a great deal to sweat over though I did read somewhere that total appliances in Standby mode (think your microwave oven, electric cooker etc with clocks) account for 5% of electricity consumed in the UK
Old 26 June 2004, 06:36 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trashman
I did read somewhere that total appliances in Standby mode (think your microwave oven, electric cooker etc with clocks) account for 5% of electricity consumed in the UK
yeah, but it's less hassle than re-setting the bl**dy clock every day, innit?

<greenhouse gasses? never heard of 'em, mate>