Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do you ever know what you want to do?

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2004, 11:00 PM
scoobess
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do you ever know what you want to do?

I'm feeling a bit lost in this place called earth, I really dislike my job (as an accountant) but have no idea what I'd rather be doing (apart from being a ralley driver! but I have to be realistic don't I?) & I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced the same confused feeling?

If you have how did you figure out what you wanted to do? Will I ever know?
Anybody out there got a fun job? Or does everyone hate working?

I don't want to earn loads, 12k would do me, I just kind of thought you were supposed to like what you did.

Any feed back on this would be great as I don't know if I'm living in a fantasy land or if it is possible to like what you do!

I'm 24 & have a degree in design & management! (Which seems to count for nothing, except my 5 figure student loan.)

Thanks Kel
Old 20 June 2004, 11:21 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lion Tamer!!

OK, that enough Python for now.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Decade will do. It's commone enough to feel you're in the wrong job, especially once you've been doing it a while. Tends to be more a function of your personality than your job. It's probably at it's worst when you're young 'cos you want to try everything, and then gets bad again at forty when you realise you've been doing the wrong thing for twenty years. As you may realise by the wages comment, changing jobs usually means back to the bottom rung again - which is why us old-timers don't do job changes except when forced to.

For what it's worth, in twenty years I've done: store-keeping, building industrial lasers, restoration of historic aircraft, assembling transformers, technician at a high-tech company, computer repairs, building management, and currently I'm a forensic scientist. I like the variation, but my wallet disagrees.

M
Old 20 June 2004, 11:21 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

I feel the same at the moment to be honest! I graduated in 2001 and worked in IT for about a year and a half the latter part contracting. I then decided to do a winter season in St Anton as my contract had come to an end and I turned down my next one. I only thought I would do one but I have done 3 so far! but after last winter I decided not to do this summer so came home however I have so many things I want to do I haven't done any of them! and my money is fast running out!

TBH what I have found is that living in this country you get very materialistic. I have earned a relitavely good wage for my age when in IT but I have worked twice as hard for pocket money doing seasons at the same time as having a really great quality of life.

Good luck with the choices tho!

Andy
Old 20 June 2004, 11:29 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

Kel, Yeah feel just the same and now I`m 37. I`ve done allsorts since leaving school, now I work for myself & still not happy.

Might be much easier if I were like you... to be happy with 12k.

Neil.
Old 20 June 2004, 11:34 PM
scoobess
Scooby Regular

Red face

Thanks guys, looks like I'm just going to have to deal with it ... just keep thinking of all the things I want to do in my life time & think so much about it I never do anything!

Is time getting faster or is it just the pace of life in this country ?

Whatever it is I often think that Im runnig out of time!!
Old 20 June 2004, 11:45 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by scoobess
just keep thinking of all the things I want to do in my life time & think so much about it I never do anything!

Is time getting faster or is it just the pace of life in this country ?

Whatever it is I often think that Im runnig out of time!!

Its really easy to get caught in this trap, I'm 24 as well and I think its the first time I have started to feel 'older' there are so many things I would like to do as well but you get to the point where you realise that you can do a lot of them. Just start by doing something!

Andy
Old 21 June 2004, 06:45 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Scoobess, at 24 you have time on your side, you can still choose virtually any job/career/profession you want. The difficult bit is to decide what you want.

I know a couple of people who changed career path, mid twenties and early thirties respectively. As it happened both went into teaching and although they had to take a pay cut and they work long hours, they both think it was the best thing they ever did. They find it challenging but rewarding, so they get job satisfaction. One of them likes travelling, so the long summer holidays are perfect for him. What chance do most of us have to take a 4 or 5 week holiday?

It sounds like money itself does not motivate you. So ask yourself what does motivate you? What goals do you have now and in the future? Are you happy living in the part of the country you live now? If not, what type of jobs are available in the places you would prefer to live? Have you identified what it is about your current job you don't like? Would you be happy doing what you are doing now but working for yourself? What about doing the same type of work part time and doing something different for the rest of the week, whether paid or unpaid? There are plenty of small companies which don't need a full time accountant. That way you keep a steady income but free up time to explore other things.

I am planning a complete career change. I have a place at university lined up for September but I am going to defer one year so I can save more money towards the 4 years it will take for me to get qualified. I think I need to save about 30k quid, I don't want to be working in MacD and studying at the same time. I am some years older than you and it is a fairly coimmitting step, but ultimately I cannot live the type of life I want doing what I do now.

Good luck.
Old 21 June 2004, 07:52 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I suppose, even if it sounds simplistic, it is just a matter of finding a job that fits in with what you really enjoy doing.

I was not sure what I wanted to do when I started out but eventually joined the RAF and got into flying. I found I loved that so much that I just stuck with it and used to look forward to going to work every day. I would not have missed that for anything.

As someone said, you've got so much time in front of you yet that you will eventually find something that really suits you. Its a matter of thinking it all out and doing some active exploration of course. The important thing is never to wonder too much about things like why you are here etc. There is little chance of finding an answer to that, so best to accept your existence and make the best of it.

Best of luck

Les
Old 21 June 2004, 10:40 AM
shamrock
Scooby Regular

Scoobess,

I am also 24, an accountant and very bored !!

I go through the same cycle every year of getting depressed with my career and deciding it's time for a change. I've looked at becoming a policeman, starting a band, working for a charity in a third world country, becoming a lumberjack, joining the army, taking a year out to travel the world, becoming a mechanic, even briefly thought about trying to become a **** star !!

I always end up studying for more CIMA exams though. It may not sound mind blowing but each time I pass it opens up new doors for my career. I've worked in different roles using my accountancy qualification and I am hoping that when I'm fully qualified it will give me the chance to travel the world.

The best advice I can give you is see a career advisor as they should be able to give you advice on all the different types of roles that may suit you.

Michael
Old 21 June 2004, 08:08 PM
scoobess
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
Lion Tamer!!

OK, that enough Python for now.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Decade will do. It's commone enough to feel you're in the wrong job, especially once you've been doing it a while. Tends to be more a function of your personality than your job. It's probably at it's worst when you're young 'cos you want to try everything, and then gets bad again at forty when you realise you've been doing the wrong thing for twenty years. As you may realise by the wages comment, changing jobs usually means back to the bottom rung again - which is why us old-timers don't do job changes except when forced to.

For what it's worth, in twenty years I've done: store-keeping, building industrial lasers, restoration of historic aircraft, assembling transformers, technician at a high-tech company, computer repairs, building management, and currently I'm a forensic scientist. I like the variation, but my wallet disagrees.

M
Well very impressive I must say! & a forensic scientist sounds mighty important. I like the idea of doing all sorts of things but dont like feeling unsettled or being at the bottom rung!
Old 21 June 2004, 08:19 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Oi - youngsters! Buster Merryfield was a retired Bank Manager before he changed career to acting and got the job as Uncle on Only Fools and Horses!

I'm 37 (only just - last Friday) and me and my gorgeous hubby think like this all the time. Personally I'm lucky - I really enjoy my job - and I'd happily support Hubby to do something differnt if he wanted.

If you really wanted to do something else then do it. You only have one life - this is not a dress rehearsal! But never thing you're too old!Just remember though that the grass is never really greener. If it was, we'd all be doing it!

Come up with a good plan and go for it. The worst thing about life isn't failure - it's the regret that you never even tried.
Old 21 June 2004, 08:23 PM
scoobess
Scooby Regular

Andy,

Im so glad to hear its not just me, I sometimes think that we have all gone mad! forgetting that life is about people seems to be what society is leaning towards at the moment...dangerous ground. I like nice things around me as much as anyone else but I dont place a high value on them, it's all just stuff at the end of the day.

I know I just need to do something but it's trying to decide what to do first that always gets me !!
Old 21 June 2004, 08:28 PM
scoobess
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shamrock
Scoobess,

I am also 24, an accountant and very bored !!

I go through the same cycle every year of getting depressed with my career and deciding it's time for a change. I've looked at becoming a policeman, starting a band, working for a charity in a third world country, becoming a lumberjack, joining the army, taking a year out to travel the world, becoming a mechanic, even briefly thought about trying to become a **** star !!

I always end up studying for more CIMA exams though. It may not sound mind blowing but each time I pass it opens up new doors for my career. I've worked in different roles using my accountancy qualification and I am hoping that when I'm fully qualified it will give me the chance to travel the world.

The best advice I can give you is see a career advisor as they should be able to give you advice on all the different types of roles that may suit you.

Michael
Your conciderations are very similar to mine! apart from being a **** star =)
Those exams just get you every time, tie you in more & more, the more you do the harder it is to leave! I hope it works out for you
Old 21 June 2004, 08:32 PM
scoobess
Scooby Regular

To all of you thanks so much for your feed back! I know Im not old but I do panic that the more thinking I do, the less doing I'll get done & then it will be too late...nutter
Old 21 June 2004, 08:33 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just read your post properly and noticed you DID give your age. I blame senility.

But it's good news, because you aren't settled enough to have trouble changing track. Try things, anything you always liked the idea of (but avoid forensic science because the pay is rubbish and the boss is a t*t. Even if he does drive a WRX....) Employers won't think anything less of you if your jobs have been varied, because they expect it of someone your age. Go on, live.

M
Old 21 June 2004, 08:40 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Scoobess - plan for the future but enjoy what you're doing today. My dad worked all his life in a cr'ppy job just dreaming of his retirement and died of cancer 3 years before he retired. You're here for a good time, not a long time!

Don't just live for today - live for tomorrow as well - just enjoy what you're doing! Imnagine yourself on your deathbed - what would you think if you looked back on your life?

If I got hit by a bus tomorrow I'd be glad that:

a) I was married to the man of my dreams - my one and only love
b) I enjoy my job and have a good laugh
c) I have great friends and a wonderful family

Trust me - I have had a sh1tty few years from hell, but you find what you look for in this life. Spend it looking for good and that's what you'll find!

Do what you enjoy and not just what pays well or meets the approval of your parents!
Old 21 June 2004, 08:41 PM
scoobess
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
I just read your post properly and noticed you DID give your age. I blame senility.

But it's good news, because you aren't settled enough to have trouble changing track. Try things, anything you always liked the idea of (but avoid forensic science because the pay is rubbish and the boss is a t*t. Even if he does drive a WRX....) Employers won't think anything less of you if your jobs have been varied, because they expect it of someone your age. Go on, live.

M
Thanks again oh wise one =) what do you think the chances of a female world rally champion are? & how on earth do you fund a venture like that?!
Old 21 June 2004, 08:45 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I do happen to like my job (Tech Manager for software developer), but there are other things I'd love to do, but can't, such things would be:

Mechanic for sports cars, in other words, work on scoobs and other fine cars.

Own a workshop/dyno type place, which would facilitate the above desire

Bit of motorsport action, something like BTTC, or maybe rallying, possibly even single seaters.

I could possibly do some of these but I don't think I have the 'smarts' to do so, and I certainly don't have the financial backing to do it either.
Old 21 June 2004, 08:47 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobess
Thanks again oh wise one =) what do you think the chances of a female world rally champion are? & how on earth do you fund a venture like that?!
...by being a **** star of course
Old 21 June 2004, 09:02 PM
scoobess
Scooby Regular

Of course !!!!!!!!!
Old 21 June 2004, 11:09 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Years ago a guy I respected said that many people actually had 3 careers in their working life. I thought this was a bit far fetched at the time but then I looked at a lot of folk I knew and he was quite close to the truth. I would also recommend travel unless you have already tried this? Go and work in Africa, the USA or whatever for a year and you may just find what you are happy with. Good luck. D
Old 21 June 2004, 11:16 PM
scoobess
Scooby Regular

Im going to travel, it's the most important thing for me to do, the one thing I MUST do, if nothing else, its just trying to be sensible about it & not doing it by spending money I havent got! Thank you D
Old 22 June 2004, 09:02 AM
shamrock
Scooby Regular

Scoobess,

Why not get in touch with a few agencies (I know a couple of good international ones) to see if you could do a similar job but in another country. This would give you the chance to earn money while you travel. It would also make it easier to stay in that country to start with as you would be doing a job that you are already comfortable with. You may then find it's not the job that you disliked but your environment/lifestyle.

You could still change career if you wanted when you have found somewhere that you want to stay for a while.

Just a thought as that's my plan of attack. Am looking at either the US or Canada ...
Old 22 June 2004, 09:04 AM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Damn good idea Shamrock, care to PM me those agencies ?

I'm currently going through such a crisis, left school and started work - turned 30 this year and I've just kinda ended up doing what I'm doing !

Time for a change me thinks.

Matt
Old 22 June 2004, 09:36 AM
shamrock
Scooby Regular

You have PM Matt.
Old 22 June 2004, 10:14 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There are many third world countries where you could teach accountancy or management, or both.
Old 22 June 2004, 10:33 AM
foamy
Scooby Regular

I was thinking about joining the Police...
On the other hand it'd be nice to have some friends.

I constantly wonder what I want to do with my life. I've done travelling, been well paid in jobs, and now I just feel a bit lost. I could probably turn my hand to anything if I tried, it's just a case of finding someting that would capture my imagination.

- Foamy
Old 22 June 2004, 10:45 AM
shamrock
Scooby Regular

I could probably turn my hand to anything if I tried,
Teaching Dolphins to ski ??
Old 22 June 2004, 10:51 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Been done shamrock

http://www.dudleydolphin.org.uk/tour...p/skijump.html
Old 22 June 2004, 11:05 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I can sympathise Kel, I'm another 24 year old who basically got a degree and went for the first well paid job going. Back then it was all about the money and "climbing the ladder." So a few wellish paid super high stressed jobs later and I was left a completly reclused wreck. I have come to realise now, sod the money, sod the stupid ladder analogy. I still don't know what I "really" want to do for living. But I know it's not 9 to 5 and doesn't involve desks!

I have looked into setting up my own business, I've taken quite a fancy to automatic gearbox repairs as one idea. I'm a hands on person, who likes to phyically fix stuff rather than tap away on a computer <he thinks whilst tapping away on a computer on a BBS >. One detraction is the investment, and that I am totally dependent on myself to deal with the business I set up, which, to be frank, I'm unsure as if I have to right kind attitude to it (too honest ). Also taxation, training and a multitude of extremely costly tools required to work with modern gearboxes. Then theres finding good suppliers - I could go on.

So I could work for a company instead, but small companies although may work as a family in some cases, but also can be so badly managed that you have to deal with complaints and blame being pinned on you by a lazy (wannabe big time player) boss who does nothing. Work for a big company and your just a worker ant in a colony, you loose sense of belonging, become very possesive about your tiny work cubical and streesed out over paperwork that people keep dumping in your intray. I am also sick to death of agencies dressing up the above job types to be something that they are not - exciting and fulfilling.

Then I realise, it's not the job I want....is this the country I want to stay and live in?..No - it goes on. I haven't a clue where I'm going, being a natural born cynic I can fault every opertunity to the extent that I rule it out. I find it difficult accepting something that will dictate my life and future and taking a compromise to what I want, even when I'm not sure what that is!

I have my dreams, either a BTTC driver or rock star, or both But, TBH in terms of racing careers, it's for the rich boys, or kids who have parents that'll plough all their money starting a race career at an early age. At 24, Im probably too old to be considered seriously by any team. As for the rock band, well that's another story

For now, I'll just carry on meandering through life, reach 50, think "booger 50, and still not happy." But that's human condition I think. I may get somewhere, when, where and how is another issue. I know I am not the only one, it may explain the UK's "drinking culture"

Bottom line is, it's down to me. But if I don't know what I want, how can I move on?

Last edited by ALi-B; 22 June 2004 at 11:07 AM.