Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

anyone going/been to the chilli peppers concerts?

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2004, 03:11 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile anyone going/been to the chilli peppers concerts?

going tommorow, heard some reviews on the concert and sounds like it's gonna be the bollox!

can't wait to see james brown aswell, other support is girls on speed, anyone know what they're like?

roll on tommorow
Old 19 June 2004, 03:28 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I heard good reviews of the Chilli Peppers from a reliable source who saw them in Dublin last weekend. It wasn't a long show from what I gather but well worth it. He certainly didn't say it was the best show on earth but a good rock and roll show.

James Brown (assuming you mean the Godfather of Soul and not some other James Brown of whom I know nothing) is fantastic, it's a while (5ish years) since I've seen him but if you go with the intention of having fun and shaking your tailfeather than I can assure you that you will enjoy him. With Ray Charles now dead people of that musical generation are going fast, I think JB is about 71ish now, so make the best of it. In my view he can still put on the sort of show that lets you know why he has lasted so long.

No idea about Girls on Speed. I really must pay more attention.
Old 19 June 2004, 03:29 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, went to see them at Murrayfield - they were awesome

You can find out more info on the UK tour at Universally Speaking

Stefan
Old 19 June 2004, 03:30 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sets are pretty much the same on all the gigs. Played for about an hour, then came back on for about 20-30mins with an encore.

I must admit I did leave feeling like I wanted much more.

Stefan
Old 19 June 2004, 03:31 PM
DavidHill
Scooby Regular

I'm off to see them tomorrow as well. Been looking forward to it for ages.

What time r u getting there? tickets say gates open 3.30pm and show starts at 5.30pm but radio 1 are doing their live broadcast until 7pm. Not really keen on getting there early and standing around all afternoon.

David
Old 19 June 2004, 04:02 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DavidHill
I'm off to see them tomorrow as well. Been looking forward to it for ages.

What time r u getting there? tickets say gates open 3.30pm and show starts at 5.30pm but radio 1 are doing their live broadcast until 7pm. Not really keen on getting there early and standing around all afternoon.

David
me and a couple of mates are going and the theme seems to getting up there early, hitting a few bars then getting in for james brown(haven't a clue about chicks on speed so not that bothered).
not one for 'elbows high' to get near the front, and won't be expecting the best view in the house getting in halfway thru, but we'll see.
like you i'm not the best at standing around waiting for things to kick off, but i always arrive to late/early for the best bits of gigs so i'll leave the decision making to one of my mates

should be a good show booked it up quite happy to pay the ticket price just to see the chillis, finding out james brown is supporting was a bit unexpected, don't really know too much of his music but i think his stage presence and performance should get the crowd buzzing and get a good atmosphere going

-just read the universally speaking reviews link and the chicks on speed don't come across too well,booed off stage last night big thumbs up to james brown and the chillis though

Last edited by hoskib; 19 June 2004 at 04:08 PM.
Old 19 June 2004, 06:26 PM
DavidHill
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib
me and a couple of mates are going and the theme seems to getting up there early, hitting a few bars then getting in for james brown(haven't a clue about chicks on speed so not that bothered).
not one for 'elbows high' to get near the front, and won't be expecting the best view in the house getting in halfway thru, but we'll see.
like you i'm not the best at standing around waiting for things to kick off, but i always arrive to late/early for the best bits of gigs so i'll leave the decision making to one of my mates

should be a good show booked it up quite happy to pay the ticket price just to see the chillis, finding out james brown is supporting was a bit unexpected, don't really know too much of his music but i think his stage presence and performance should get the crowd buzzing and get a good atmosphere going

-just read the universally speaking reviews link and the chicks on speed don't come across too well,booed off stage last night big thumbs up to james brown and the chillis though
Thats kinda what i was thinking, im getting train into euston at about 4 going to find a pub for a drink then getting in there for about 6/6.30. Like you im not one for standing around!

Any idea what time James brown is on stage then?
David

Trending Topics

Old 19 June 2004, 06:28 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

saw them at manchester city football ground last night
excellent gig, red hots were very good, even got square old me up and dancing, and the crowd were good too
james brown is well past it, hardly moved on stage, and we went to get a coffee half way through his set, as we were bored backing singers were louder than him, which is a bad sign
chicks on speed were bloody awful, and got booed after each song why the chilli's chose them to support, god only knows!
guitarist from chillis said after 2 songs into set "we dont like that you booed the chicks, you should have open minds to new things, shame on you"
shame on you for booking such ****e to support your top group more like
did a search on google for chicks on speed, first thing to come up, you'll get the picture from the pantomine costumes
missed the fireworks at the end of the show too, as I had to be in work for 21:30, and we let at 22:30
chris.
Old 19 June 2004, 07:42 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

no idea when james brown is on david, any idea chris?
radio 1 has live coverage from 7 after the chart show so i would guess it'll be around that time?

dunno about chicks on speed, let's get james brown on speed, get him strutting his freaky **** on the stage
Old 20 June 2004, 09:46 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

sorry guys, pc's been out all day
james was on for an hour b4 the chilli's. around 8-9pm.
mr brown on speed, yeah, that would be good
Old 20 June 2004, 10:16 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I also saw them in Manchester, missed the Chicks on Speed but caught the end of James Brown's set, which was OK, but not the evangelical experience I was expecting. Flashes of brilliance but clearly a shadow of his former self these days.

The Chillis were excellent, Flea is just God-like with his bass.

WTF was that trumpet bit all about in the encore, though? Were they just running through all the presets on the effects board?

Also missed the fireworks because we were on the second level next to the stage and they were behind us, our view blocked by the roof

Hearing Under the Bridge sung by however many thousand people were there was something I won't forget
Old 20 June 2004, 10:25 PM
SomeDude
Scooby Regular

WTF was that trumpet bit all about in the encore, though?
If you buy the Live at Slane Castle DVD you might hear the same thing
Old 20 June 2004, 10:46 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

I went to Hyde Park last night. Awful venue IMHO, crap acoustics and the video screens were so low you couldn't see them, never mind the stage and I was half way to the front!

Chicks on Speed were a great laugh, the Chillis drummer came on and asked for some support, then the Chicks on Speed cam on saying they got a rough time at Manchester. Within about 20 secs there were some serious boos. Then the bottle throwing and the chants of "sit down, if you think they're ****..."

They eventaully left in the middle of song 3, to a chorus of "you're no singing, you're not singing, you're not singing anymore!" Classic.

Chilli's were very good, but again, I couldnt see much and there were too many damned hippies

Weirdest bit - standing in a crowd of 80k people or whatever, and who's standing next to me but my old local Subaru customer services chap (John Piper in case you're reading, Ron)

MB

MB
Old 21 June 2004, 03:44 PM
C
Scooby Regular

I got f*cking soaked in Hyde Park last nite lol

Chilli's were good - JB was ok, Chicks on Speed were shyte
Old 21 June 2004, 06:09 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

yeah, it did rain a bit didn't it went to party in the park a few years back and it pissed down all day, i must be a bad omen i guess

how crap were those chicks? chilis could have dragged a band out of any pub nearby and they would have done a better job, just didn't get that music at all.

kinda liked james brown, but i think seeing him 20 years ago would have been superb, last night gave some tasters but it wasn't quite as good as i thought it would be.

thought the chilis were brilliant though we camped out by the bar by the side of the stage and the view wasn't too bad, not great for sound as i spose most of it was aimed forward, but not bad.

overall a bloody good time