Freeview - what wideband aerial?

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2004, 11:17 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by **************
Have got a Freeview box for my birthday today but my post code requires a wideband aerial apparently.

So what I want to know is what one to get, how much it is and where to get it from and is it easy to install yourself or does it need to be aligned by an aerial fitter?

TIA
LOL I just got one today from Richer Sounds. I think its been used before though as it already has done a channel scan. I only have about half of them ATM. Is this normal??? Seems like I need to do a re-scan, but the manual doesn't explain how.

Quality that you get digital radio thrown in though.

Happy birthday BTW 'old man'

UB
Old 19 June 2004, 12:10 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

My area says "not a hope in hell" but a TV Aerial installer came round, checked signals & pointed in a different direction & hey presto - we have FreeView

Install it yourself & see what happens. If it no worky, get an installer in & maybe change your aerial if applicable.
Old 19 June 2004, 12:24 AM
TheManOnTheStreet
Scooby Regular

The reason you may only be getting half the channels could be down to the aerial. Some of the multiplexes are up in the high end of the UHF range. Traditionally, terrestial tv channels are on 21-69 as they call them. Some of the multiplexes are up towards 69, and it'll be these ones your box is having trouble with - your aerial is probably not up to receiving these ones well....

I think the BBC have an engineering webpage which details which channels are on which mulitplexes in your area...so you'll be able to correlate for yourself if the channels you cannot see are the ones in the 60-69 range.
Old 19 June 2004, 12:28 AM
TheManOnTheStreet
Scooby Regular

I also wouldn't bother investigating a new aerial until you've plugged your box in, done a scan, and seen what you can get. If you're only missing the multiplexes with some iffy shopping channel or music channel, prob not worth a new aerial.....

Once you've had it a few weeks, I can guarantee the only things you'll use will be the normal terrestial channels, and :

BBC3
BBC4
BBC News 24
Sky News (perhaps)
BBC Parliment if you like watching Election 74/79/83/87/etc during recess
Radio stations if that's your thing...
Old 19 June 2004, 12:38 AM
TheManOnTheStreet
Scooby Regular

Don't know how up to date this page is, but it will show you where in the channel spectrum you should be receiving the multiplexes....(assuming you know the name of your transmitter) :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/tv_tr...git_full.shtml

...and the channels on each multiplex are listed here :

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/terrestrial/mux/

Should be enough for you to work out if you do/don't need a new aerial in the meantime....(ie, if you can't receive the channels on Mux D, you may decide you'd never watch the channels on Mux D anyway!).
Old 19 June 2004, 01:15 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

holy **** batman - MOTS proves that he does have some use in life - not much, but more than everyone thought 12 hours ago

B2z - CBeebies is great

(the rest is ****.....sorry m8)
Old 19 June 2004, 01:16 AM
TheManOnTheStreet
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
holy **** batman - MOTS proves that he does have some use in life - not much, but more than everyone thought 12 hours ago
Meanwhile, you've been out creating aggro round your local scheme while I actually help people out with real world solutions to real world problems
Old 19 June 2004, 01:19 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

OK - Bravo - who do you feel has been more helpful in the overall scheme of things - MOTS or poor auld FB?

(MOTS - do you wanna make a bet on this?)
Old 19 June 2004, 04:26 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TheManOnTheStreet
I also wouldn't bother investigating a new aerial until you've plugged your box in, done a scan, and seen what you can get. If you're only missing the multiplexes with some iffy shopping channel or music channel, prob not worth a new aerial.....

Once you've had it a few weeks, I can guarantee the only things you'll use will be the normal terrestial channels, and :

BBC3
BBC4
BBC News 24
Sky News (perhaps)
BBC Parliment if you like watching Election 74/79/83/87/etc during recess
Radio stations if that's your thing...
The music channels are ok (The Hits and TMF) and don't forget Baywatch Hawaii on Sky Travel!
Old 19 June 2004, 05:05 PM
TheManOnTheStreet
Scooby Regular

Also it found a load of other channels which for £8 a month I can unlock such as UK Gold and the cartoon channels and discovery channels Time to phone top-up TV
TBH, the channel lineup on TopUp TV ain't that great unless you like BigBrother (E4). UK Gold and Discovery are quite good for a while, but then just seem to rerun the same old stuff (especially with Discovery - always having a Shark day with the same progs!).

I'm also worried about TopUp Tv. AFAIK, it uses the same easily hackable technology that OnDigital (ITVDigital) did. ie, anyone with a small RS232 smart card programmer can access these channels for free.....oops.

.....of course, I'd never advocate such airwave piracy.
Old 19 June 2004, 05:12 PM
TheManOnTheStreet
Scooby Regular

Well it turns out I can't get them anyway due to the fact my Freeview box isn't one of the ones with a card slot

Now whats that you were saying about rs232....
Unfortunately, without a card slot, you're stuck. You need a smartcard whatever method of payment (or non payment!) you use.
Old 19 June 2004, 05:17 PM
TheManOnTheStreet
Scooby Regular

Gonna see if I can get the box changed
Have to say, I've noticed the cheaper boxes have no card slots. Not something the novice looks out for.....which is a shame for TopUp tv...they're going to lose a lot of potential custom through manufacturers selling non-card-slot boxes
Old 23 June 2004, 08:13 PM
M J B
Scooby Regular

bttt

At night i get a crap signal when trying to watch TMF and the hits, Baywatch Hawaii is ok mind

Has anyone changed there aerial, if so to what? And would a wideband aerial be ok in the loft as my new house has no chimney and im lazy and it would be easier.

Cheers
Old 23 June 2004, 09:35 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Mine's working great. 50 quid Samsung box. No top up but I don't want that anyway. It's worth the money for the digital radio channels alone. I can now get perfect quality recordings of my favourite Kiss FM DJ mixes.

UB