Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Orange Network bad customer service.

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2004, 05:31 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Orange Network bad customer service.

I have a P800 phone bought last October on Orange and the Blue Tooth feature has stopped working as of last week. i have checked everything i can headset etc with other phones and i am sure the P800 has the fault therefore i contact Orange who diagnoise the fault as the Blue tooth chip has failed but as i have had the phone for more than 6 months they will not repair or replace unless i pay them. i have pointed out i have been with them 4 years and spend 70-120 a month and yet they are just not interested.

Any suggestions where i can find some consumer law to force the issue. and when my contract runs out in October i think time to take my business else where.
Old 09 June 2004, 05:35 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

I had a simialr problem, just keep ringing em up and you will get it sorted, be firm and keep asking for the manager etc etc, also try ringing Disconnections directly, they normally help
Old 09 June 2004, 06:05 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the Law now states goods must be fit for the purpose and your Mobi obvioulsy aint. All Orange Mobi's carry 12 months warrenty so it's up to Orange to either repair the phone or replace it under warrenty. I find mentioning Watchdog or suchlike usually helps, and like STi says only ever speak to managers not the lackys!
Old 09 June 2004, 06:18 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Angry

I spoke to some body at Orange and he said that new EU law says that they have to only support the phone for 6 months now and if i had asked when i took out the contract they would have told me this!! of course i would have to have known about it to have asked to be told about the new law wouldn't I. my contract runs to october so i can't get out till then but i am really unimpressed with them i have had nothing but problems with them over charging for services i didn't want for the first 5 months and now that the handset has developed a fault they are not interested in this. they have referred me to Sony but as i pointed out to Orange i bought the phone from them. They keep refferrring me to some new EU law?

I had a quick look on the Consumer association web site and i think i need to prove the phone is at fault e.g. get an independent report at my expense now to then take it back?

Orange also have no compliants telephone line only a postal address according to the person i spoke to! a telecomunications company with only a postal compliants department that also annoyed me. one it slows the compliant down and also you just get handed arround for months on end with out a properly working handset.
Old 09 June 2004, 06:40 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

SALE OF GOODS

Together with the law applying to services, these are the only laws that every consumer should really know by heart.

While laws concerning sale of goods date back 100 years, the only phrase you need to memorise is 'The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended)'.

The ‘as amended’ is important because it refers to laws which have extended the basic 1979 Act and using the phrase tells the trader that not only do you know basic consumer law — you know it has also been amended.

The Sale of Goods Acts lay down several conditions that all goods sold by a trader must meet. The goods must be:

of satisfactory quality
as described
fit for purpose

Satisfactory quality covers minor and cosmetic defects as well as substantial problems. It also means that products must last a reasonable time. But it does not give you any rights if a fault was obvious or pointed out to you at point of sale.

As described refers to any advertisement or verbal description made by the trader.

Fit for purpose covers not only the obvious purpose of an item but any purpose you queried and were given assurances about by the trader.

If something you buy from a trader does not meet these conditions, you are first and foremost entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced.

If these remedies are inappropriate, then you are entitled to a suitable price reduction, or to return the goods and get a refund (reduced to take account of any wear and tear).

The Act covers second-hand items and sales. But if you buy privately, your only entitlement to your money back is if the goods are not 'as described'.

If goods that are expected to last six months, do not do so it will be presumed that the goods did not conform to the contract at the time they were bought — unless the trader can prove to the contrary.

In all other situations, it is for the consumer to prove his/her own case (i.e. that the problem existed at the time of the contract). This will prove more difficult, the longer you have had the goods. Subject to this, a consumer has six years from the time he/she buys something in which to make a claim.

You only have a relatively short period to get a full refund. After this time, you will be deemed to have 'accepted' the item. If it then turns out to faulty, you will have to claim compensation.

I think you could sucessfully argue that a mobile phone should last more than 6 months. Whatever the European law may say, the Sale of Goods Act STILL applies.

Chris
Old 10 June 2004, 01:01 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate,

easiest thing is to take it to any craphone whorehouse repair centre. As the phone is less than 1 year old, the standard manufacturer's warranty applies.

If you're in Brum. you can take it to Intercity who will repair or replace with new unit.

Any help needed or more questions, email me

Thanks,

Jai
jai@air-tel.co.uk
Old 10 June 2004, 07:23 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Angry

Before when i have had problems with items i have quoted the sales of goods act iand normally the problem is solved. but the person at Orange kept saying that i now have to contact Sony as they are only responsable for the first 6 months! he said that Orange legal department have looked into this and they wouldn't get it wrong. in my non legal opinon they have.

Very frustrating and i explained that under the sale of goods act this time restriction did not apply and the goods were not of merchentable quality. He just kept saying that it was now against the law to deal with this as under EU law i had to go to Sony.

I just think this sort of thing should be high lighted so other people don't get caught like i have as i now have to argue with Orange for my basic rights as a shopper and also because of the contract still having time to run i can not take my buisness else were though i feel they are in breach of the contract we have and therefore i should be able to leave.
Old 10 June 2004, 07:43 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Nat21
Just rang orange about a minor problem with my t610 and they said i had to go to sony even though i have full orange against lost/theft/damage/failure.

bye bye orange.
Should have stamped on it then
Old 10 June 2004, 08:14 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Angry

Just been back on to them and got put on hold again and again etc total call 31 minutes. they apparently now say they only support the handset for 6 months as they think it is unrealistic to expect it to work after 6 months! apparently it has a hard life and i might have used it in the rain and that would break it! i wish i had recorded the conversation the gems of BS he spoke.

I said it was not of merchantable quality he said did it work when you got it i said yes but not now and he said it was of merchantable quality if it worked when i got it! apparently this 6 month warrenty has been approved by the Government! i will call Sony tomorrow see if they think the handset should only last 6 months doesn't say much for Sony phones does it may be i should point that out to Sony as well. really not impressed i have been with Orange nearly 9 years and this is only the 2nd handset i have had problems with. I had expected better.

Off to the CAB next i think plus a letter to they compliants department believe it or not they do not have a telephone number or e-mail address! i just can not believe that a comunications company has 19th century systems.

Shame they don't read Scoobynet might realise that upsetting customers is not a good idea.

Still my advice to any body taking out a contract don't go near Orange.
Old 10 June 2004, 08:29 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I had a treo 600 that died after 2 weeks..

it wouldnt talk to the sim card.... the local shop wouldnt change it unless the tech centre said it was faulty......

i just went on about the 14 day new phone rejection rule,,, and they looked a bit worried,,, then i stated sog voila phone changed...............................

and then after 2 months the replacement went **** up....................

there stance was then.... unless you have the monthly insurance.... we cant help...........................

roll on sog!!! and numerous emails shop visits......

result ... phone changed by carrier next day!!!!!

just keep complaining!!!!

if you think there bad!!!!!!! just see my upcoming thread!!!!

Mart
Old 10 June 2004, 08:33 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Angry

Oh i intend to keep complaining i deal with stuff like this as part of my job so i will keep at them but i find it a frustrating thing as it is just a game to them to wear me down. is it really worth there while i must be a good customer for them. still i am just about to read thru Watch dog web site to see if they have covered this if not i better start making notes and then i can pop them an e-mail i am sure Orange would love the publicity they say any is good.
Old 10 June 2004, 09:28 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Well done m8 give them ****.

Orange are a complete waste of time, trouble is when ur contract is up and u change to A N OTHER suppler same **** happens are ur back to square one.

It doesn't matter who ur contract is with there all as bad as each other, and will try anything to get out of fixing or paying u compo for a bad service.
Old 10 June 2004, 09:48 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

I have had many rucks with these silly w@nkers, left them in the end and went to O2, big mistake!!, broke my handset after 3 months and phoned them for advice, they asked me if it had insurance, i said no as i didnt know O2 done it, they said sorry you will have to buy a pay as you phone and put your sim in it, they will be dumped come november, they are all cvnts.
Old 12 June 2004, 01:53 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Angry

Dazza01 i think you are right i spoke to some body else and they had a panasonic hand set which died at 7 months and Orange were not interested. still may be they will eventually get the message that this loses them customers.
Old 12 June 2004, 08:11 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Contact Ofcom They are the new organisation that took over from Oftel.

I had a grievance with Orange a few years back and contacted Oftel and they were extremely helpful in getting Orange to sort it.
Old 12 June 2004, 09:03 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found Orange to be the best of the bunch.
I have recently moved to O2 coz I needed the XDA for work and boy - what a big mistake!
Nick
Old 12 June 2004, 09:19 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Problem is - Orange never used to do this. They were far and away the best network in terms of customer service. It appears to have gone downhill over the last couple of years. As I mentioned on the Wanadoo thread, a lot of their problems seem to have happened since the France Telecom takeover. My company is also part of the FT group and I can't say that our experience has been any better. If Orange could free themselves from FT, I'm sure they would do it tomorrow. Problem is, they are the jewel in the FT crown and I doubt they will let them go.

Chris
Old 15 June 2004, 05:29 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Chris L you are repeating my exact experence. i have been with orange since 96 and even got my parents on to them and recommended them to a number of friends as the network in those days wasn't as good but the service was. recently the service is terriable and the price is not great so i now see no reason to stay also i no longer recommend them to friends as i don't feel that they would get a level of service they have a right to expect.

I am very disppointed with Orange and now will look for a new phone network but finding a good one seems to be difficult.