Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Elephant took £600 from my account when they shouldn't

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2004, 04:49 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Elephant took £600 from my account when they shouldn't

I had a car insured with Elephant until last year and when the renewal came up I found insurance at half the price somewhere else so I told them I wasn't renewing. Today a renewal notice comes through the post It turns out that they renewed the policy last year and took the money from my account now they refuse to give the money back and deny that it was cancelled I now have to speak to my bank and explain the situation and try and get the cash back I have the insurance certificate from the new insurance company to prove I insured elsewhere. When the renewal came from Elephant the certificate was returned because the insurance wasn't being renewed.

What a situation My fault for not checking my bank statement I suppose

Be warned if anyone else insures with them.
Old 09 June 2004, 04:53 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you saying that Elephant took £600 quid from your account 12 months ago and you didn't notice??? "More money than sense springs to mind"

Think you may have a battle on to get it back to be honest - best of luck!
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Be warned if you ever need to claim from them either
JDM
BANNED

Thumbs down

All the companies run under the names elephant, admiral, bell direct etc do this if they can get away with it.
bell direct tried this on with me but I'd sent their certificate back by registered post so they couldn't do anything as I had proof. Stinky tactics from a stinking insurance group. They are crap at settling claims as well.

Hope you get it sorted.
Old 09 June 2004, 04:56 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Use the no claims gained on that policy on a second car
Old 09 June 2004, 04:58 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

nope, phone elephant back and ask if they adhere to the GISC (general insuarnce standards council).
then ask for contact details.
get on the phone to the GISC and get them to start up a case, they will advise you on "good practice".
remeber insurance is a contract of "good faith", which elephant are not showing you!

my last insurance company cancelled my policy when I was on honeymoon (!!) because they alledged that they hadnt received my proof of NCB.
I arranged cover elsewhere (L&V), then trident called to say the policy was in fact still in place.
wrangling ensued and then I mentioned the gisc.
they **** themselves and coughed up straight away (even though the gisc monkey was useless and said I was out on a limb).
I hope you get some better luck soon

Andy
Old 09 June 2004, 05:05 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by OllyK
Are you saying that Elephant took £600 quid from your account 12 months ago and you didn't notice??? "More money than sense springs to mind"

Think you may have a battle on to get it back to be honest - best of luck!
I know I know They took the money in September though apparently If I get it back then it's a bonus because I didn't even know it was gone 'til today

I'm going to phone them and my bank tomorrow and see what they have to say. I'll ask them about the GISC. Thanks
Old 09 June 2004, 05:07 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Mastercare did this to me, they took money out of my account every month for 6 months and I never noticed it.

And when I did they stopped taking it and assured me they were going to put it back into my bank. But after 3 months of phone calls, emails, letters and complaints to the customer service department I still hadn’t got my money back so I gave up. They never returned any of my mail, email or phone calls in 3 months, not one!!! Not even their customer service department.

Bunch of tossers.

It was only 60 quid but im a tight git.
Old 09 June 2004, 11:30 PM
yoza
BANNED

How did an Elephant take money from your account?
Old 10 June 2004, 12:19 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa
Be warned if you ever need to claim from them either

I have had 3 claims off elephant - Scoob was stolen in 2001. They sent me a cheque for 15k 2 weeks after it was stolen. They said it should have been unrecovered for 4 weeks but given the circumstances it was a pro job and not coming back. Removed half a BM on a lamp post 6 months later - It was the other guys fault and he fessed up straight away, but Elephant had me a loan car (new BM 328) delivered to my house within 12 hours and repairs authorised within 48 hours even before they had a statement from me or the other guy. (Third time the wifey piled into the back of a Lexus Not much they could do about that one)

Anyway - As above, call them tomorrow and ask for the process for making a formal complaint to the GISC. If you do this (foraml complaint)they will have 10 people filling in paperwork for the next three hundred years, so you might find a quick resolution
Old 10 June 2004, 01:19 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I'm sure the Elephant policy states that they will automatically take the renewal amount from your bank unless you give them more than 30 days notice not to. I'll see if I still have any of my old documents from them and let you know the exact phrasing if I find it.
Old 10 June 2004, 09:27 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza
How did an Elephant take money from your account?
ROFLMAO

Sorry for your troubles Paul, get on to GISC
Old 10 June 2004, 09:28 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Yoza.. It wore coloured contact lenses. Even Loxodonta africanus is unrecognizable using this subtle trick. Apart from the ears.
Old 10 June 2004, 09:28 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

The previous year I payed by switch card I believe The policy was definately cancelled so I guess there was an error their end. Thing is they were never authorised to take the money from my account. Any idea where you stand on that alone?
Old 10 June 2004, 09:57 AM
yoza
BANNED

I was speaking to the lads about this Dumbo treading on our toes.

They think this elephant was adopted by a gang of Cheetah's, after being brought to a local Safari Park.

Thats were he learnt his trade.

After being freed from Knowsley Safari Park ( by Noddy & Big ears ), he went on his lone robbing spree.

As Bubba has pointed out his disguises are flawless, even making several appearances on CrimeWatch did get him collered. The local Cheshire CID 'think tank' have issued a statement regarding his trade mark actions.

D.I. Yousless says, " He has certain trade marks, he signs his withdrawal slips J.Merrick, and upon leaving the cashiers counter he always puts the cash in his trunk."

Then he hoofs it.

Do Elephants have hooves ? Maybe not, so he just legs it then.

Have you seen him.....WWW.ELEPHANT.CO.UK
Old 10 June 2004, 10:18 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

<continues to ignore Yoza >
Old 10 June 2004, 11:33 AM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

The previous year I payed by switch card I believe The policy was definately cancelled so I guess there was an error their end. Thing is they were never authorised to take the money from my account. Any idea where you stand on that alone?
Hi

As far as I know at the point you said that you weren't renewing you removed authorisation for elephant to take your money so you should be able to file an indemnity claim at the bank. Also I'm sure that they aren't allowed to keep your switch details on file over that length of time. I would say when you ring the bank explain that they were no longer authorised to take the money and check on the facts regarding keeping the switch details if that was the method of payment.

Rich