Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dogs and puppies

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2004, 12:56 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Dogs and puppies

The misses and I are contemplating getting a dog (well puppy) but we are not sure its fair to leave the dog for hours at a time when we are at work.

I work 8-6 and spend frequent day's away from home and she works shift work between 8am -10pm.

She is however currently on long time sick (suspected MC/CFS) and I feel that having a dog (which we both want) would make things more pleasant for her as she spends about 20 hours a day at home

When she returns to work (not a clue when) she will be working part time to allow her body to recover but this is when we both feel that it would be unfair for the dog to stay locked inside for hours at a time.

My girlfriend could pop home in her lunch break to let the dog out for its business etc. but then it would be back inside again for more hours at a time

I suppose we could drop the dog off at my parents (about 10 miles away) during the day as me dear old mum is home all the day so there is always someone there.

What does everyone else do? Does anyone else think it’s unfair for a dog to be cooped up all day?

Also what does anyone think of our dog choice

She wants:
Golden retriever or
Labrador

I want:
Sausage dog (dachshund) called wiener
Springer spaniel

If only I could get a Golden retriever/Dachshund cross : D

Any comments welcome

Darren
Old 09 June 2004, 01:02 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

Not unfair at all leaving them for that long but not indoors. myself i have an outside kennel with infra red heating and a well fenced off large area for them to excersise in, much better than being locked indoors and the heating is set to auto in case of a cold snap.

I would recommend a labrador or retriever for a good companion, I have 2 springers and a cocker spaniel but they are mad as march hares and a real handfull but great fun

andy
Old 09 June 2004, 01:07 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

We have a Rough Collie - he is happy enough in doors all day and doesn't have an issue with needing to go to the loo either. He gets a good walk in the morning and very long one in the evenign with a couple of shorter ones as well.

Parents have called round before now and it seems he sleeps most of the day anyway, mind you he does that at the weekends as well. He has plently of toys and his food is all in kongs / treat ***** etc so he has to work for it rather than just going to a bowl.

He shows no signs of stress when we leave and is happy and bouncy to see us when we return.

It would be preferable to let him run outside but this isn't practical at the moment, we are planning to move this year and a large garden is at the top of the list so we can make him a run. Mind you in this weather he prefers to be in the cool indoors anyway.
Old 09 June 2004, 01:16 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd choose a dog which isn't bred for action - retrievers and spaniels are gundogs. Labs are a bit more sedate (but prone to obesity which homestay would only encourage) - I'd go for the wiener!
Old 09 June 2004, 01:17 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

I would suspect that most breeders will be outraged at such a suggestion - all dogs should be walked 14 times a day don't you know !

We have a Basenji, and he's the laziest bu66er I did ever meet, we can't dig him out of bed before 11am, he'll get up, have a wazz and a stretch, chase the cats for 5 mins before his main afternoon snooze.

5mins before I get home, (7pm) he wakes up and meets me at the door, tail wagging etc (you gotta love that bit ).

I'll take him for a walk in the evening, we have a forest near us and he runs round there like a loony for 20 mins, comes back panting and covered in bits of twig and bush, then it's time to sit in front of the fire and chew something. I might play with him for 10 mins, throw toys around, play fight etc. Then by 10pm, he's looking at me, then looking at the stairs, then looking at me - OK OK, I GET THE HINT, BEDTIME EH ? (Incidentally, he sleeps in his own bed )

It really is a dogs life

Seriously, I'm sure you realise you've got him for 15 years, and you do need to walk him regularly, train him too !

All the best

Matt
Old 09 June 2004, 01:21 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Golden retrievers and labs need loaaaads of exercise! If they are left on their own too long (especially puppies) they get really destructive i found. Can't you get an animal other than a dog?
Old 09 June 2004, 01:23 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

I do think leaving it in the house from 8am to 6pm is a bit much. If you had a garden with a run, then fair do's.

Given your current situation, why not consider a dog from a cat & dog home....explaining your current situation. Rehoming an unwanted dog would be far better for all concerned. I'm wondering if you could almost "foster" a dog for short period of time while your other half is off on long term sick?
Old 09 June 2004, 01:26 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Darlodge

We bought spaniel puppy last year (shes a year old now) and wouldnt be without her, however there always tends to be someone in the home and shes never left for more than a few hours by herself - if she was she'd start eating the doors I think!

However, we have also installed a dog flap in the kitchen door, (like a big cat flap!) and she uses this to pop out into the garden when she likes - it certainly saves her having to either wait for us to come home or whine at us to let her out - and its lockable at night too - might work for you?

Neil

ps - shes a cocker spaniel and I'd highly recommend one - great fun, very playful, quick to learn and eager to please yet small enough not to bother our kids too much, also very affectionate.

Last edited by NeilT; 09 June 2004 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09 June 2004, 01:45 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Andy,

I know what you are saying. I know that labrador and retriever make good companions but there are not as nutty as springers and cocker spaniels, I was playing with a mates new spinger puppy last night and they are great. Do they molt much? The one I was playing with had a smooth coat.

Out of intrested, how big is your garden Andy? Ours is only about 35ft which feel is a bit small for a large dog.

Ollyk, all comments noted

Darren
Old 09 June 2004, 01:47 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

You could also consider the NCDL, they will want to check that your garden is satisfactory, but they are always looking for "foster" home for dogs on short and long term basis as obviously this is preferable to them being kenneled. A short term foster may suit you well.
Old 09 June 2004, 02:13 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

8am to 6pm is a bit long for leaving a dog IMO, I work 9-5 and the misses doesnt start work til gone dinner so my bulldog is only on his own in the afternoons although sometimes with weather like this its gotta be golfing weather after work and youd feel really guilty getting home at 5 for a wuick shower and change pick up the golf clubs and shoot off back out for another 3hours, then you get in at 8-9 and your completely knackered, hes been on his own all day dont think hes too fussed to be honest but hes been sleeping and now woken up as you get in and all he wasnt is attention but your too knackered to wanna play....

its just not fair so golf suffers most of the time and I only get to go now when the misses is going to be home at a reasonable time yet she'll moan Im not there when she gets back. lose lose situation...

EDITED to mentioned his company doesnt half make up for not playing golf though think we'd be lost without him
Old 09 June 2004, 02:17 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Yep, and also think about the other issues with owning an animal like a dog/cat. You can't just pop off on last minute holidays....you need to work through thinking about kennels etc...these need booked far in advance quite often.

If staying in the UK, you are restricted to hotels/accomodation that are happy for dogs to be on the premises...

If visiting friends, do any of them not like dogs?

etc etc. You really need to think through your whole lifestyle from top to bottom BEFORE making a commitment.
Old 09 June 2004, 02:20 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

I don't mind the excersize part, I can take the dog for a run with me every evening. Might be slightly easier with a bigger dog than a small dog.

imlach, I suppose fostering a dog could be a good idea but we'd rather have one that we can call ours.

NeilT, are you not a bit concerned about the security risk of having a cat/dog flap in your house? You know, some burglers are very small

Darren
Old 09 June 2004, 02:20 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imlach
Yep, and also think about the other issues with owning an animal like a dog/cat. You can't just pop off on last minute holidays....you need to work through thinking about kennels etc...these need booked far in advance quite often.
Or have a relative who is happy to Dog sit!!

If staying in the UK, you are restricted to hotels/accomodation that are happy for dogs to be on the premises...
There are actually quite a lot about as well as pubs and restaurants. Plus you can always go camping
Old 09 June 2004, 02:23 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
There are actually quite a lot about as well as pubs and restaurants. Plus you can always go camping
Which restaurants have you been in which allow dogs????
Not many surely? Environmental health wouldn't be too happy....
Old 09 June 2004, 02:25 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

So true, we have booked a week off (2 weeks ago) and a week off in september, fancied going away twice this year but the dog has prevented us going away. usually beckys sister would stay and look aftr him for the week but shes just had a kiddy so they dont visit anymore nor can they look after him so we couldnt go away
Old 09 June 2004, 02:33 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Nice one overlooking the cliffs between Kingsbridge and Salcombe in South Devon called the Port Light Inn for one.

Also look here for a long list of Pubs serving food that accept dogs. 3 Crowns in Wymeswold does as well
Old 09 June 2004, 02:35 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

We have both had family dogs before and we are aware of the life style change required, I think we will have to have a chat tonight about the little-uns

Its not so much of a problem of having kennels and cover during holidays as my sister or mum would look after it as they also have a dog and they love pets.

The thing that concerns us most is the amount of time it would be left alone

What exactly has everyone got as a garden run? I'm probaly wrong but are you talking about a bit of fencing and some chicken wire?

Darren
Old 09 June 2004, 02:38 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

The run can be as simple or elaborate as you want it to be. About the simplest would be a fenced in garden or area of, with the fence sufficiently high that the pooch can't get over it.

The main thing is that they have shelter from the weather in the form of some kind of kennel and plenty of fresh water.
Old 09 June 2004, 02:45 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

think the best thing you can do is get a book on dogs and read up on specific breeds, a dog such as a bulldog wouldnt suit the hours you are looking at leaving it as these types of dogs thrieve on companionship. as would a labrador etc, there will be breeds that are fine to be left for long periods where as others would just become depressed etc

good luck with it
Old 09 June 2004, 02:48 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Nit picking as usual but as far as I'm aware dogs in food establishments don't cause a problem with Environmental Health, its dogs in food preparation areas which is the no no.

Certainly in this area its easier to get into a pub with dogs than it is with children which makes a nice change.

Getting back to the subject I'm not keen on leaving dogs on their own for long periods of time. Firstly, as a puppy they're going to need feeding 3-4 times per day depending on their age and as they're pack animals they need to be around other dogs or humans for company.

We've got one dog and one puppy currently and you have to run around with a puppy nearly as much as you would with a baby I reckon, so its not an easy thing to do. At least you're putting the welfare of the animal before your own which can only be a good thing.

Good luck.
Old 09 June 2004, 02:56 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

the only idea worse than getting a dog when you work all day is eating in a place that allows dogs!

i dont even eat where they allow kids!
Old 09 June 2004, 02:58 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Faire D'Income
Nit picking as usual but as far as I'm aware dogs in food establishments don't cause a problem with Environmental Health, its dogs in food preparation areas which is the no no.
Probably so, but I don't think many restaurants would do good business which welcomed dogs at the table....

Who wants a mooching dog next to their table
I certainly don't remember seeing any dogs in any restaurants I've recently been in.....and I certainly wouldn't go back to any which openly welcomed them to be around the table.

Remember now, my context was restaurants, not pubs/cafes/tearooms.
Old 09 June 2004, 02:59 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I agree if you are going to get a pup then you need to be about far more, and fortunately I used to work from home a lot when we first had ours. Now he is older it is less of an issue, but again, a lot depends on the breed. Labs and Retrievers as well as German Shepards etc will find their own entertainment if they become bored - which is often destructive.

Rough Collies by nature are a stand offish breed (although you wouldn't know it with ours, he is a real soppy thing) and seem to be quite happy in their own company.
Old 09 June 2004, 03:00 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Tiggs,

I try and avoid kids at all costs

Darren
Old 09 June 2004, 03:03 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Probably so, but I don't think many restaurants would do good business which welcomed dogs at the table....

Who wants a mooching dog next to their table
I certainly don't remember seeing any dogs in any restaurants I've recently been in.....and I certainly wouldn't go back to any which openly welcomed them to be around the table.

Remember now, my context was restaurants, not pubs/cafes/tearooms.
As I said - the Port Light Inn. Hotel and Restaurant, dogs welcome, always packed. A lot of people have dogs, and places that cater for them get a name and become very popular with doggy people.

Besides I'd rather see a dog lying quitely under a table than see a woman breast feeding her kid at the table. That's an experience I had some months back and don't care to repeat.
Old 09 June 2004, 03:04 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

If visiting friends, do any of them not like dogs?

etc etc. You really need to think through your whole lifestyle from top to bottom BEFORE making a commitment.
Dog training weekly, full of dog friendly hotels all around the UK, more people are cottoning on to the fact that dogs are less hastle than kids
Old 09 June 2004, 03:05 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"Besides I'd rather see a dog lying quitely under a table than see a woman breast feeding her kid at the table. That's an experience I had some months back and don't care to repeat."

id rather loose my left arm than my right leg.....given the choice i'll keep both though!
Old 09 June 2004, 03:07 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
As I said - the Port Light Inn. Hotel and Restaurant, dogs welcome, always packed. A lot of people have dogs, and places that cater for them get a name and become very popular with doggy people.

Besides I'd rather see a dog lying quitely under a table than see a woman breast feeding her kid at the table. That's an experience I had some months back and don't care to repeat.
Out of interest, is the Port Light Inn a pub or a restaurant? ie, informal pub like atmosphere, or proper dining experience? Do they really let dogs mooch around a proper dining table?

The lady breastfeeding her child is doing no wrong in theory.....there are methods of breastfeeding such that it is not obvious that breastfeeding is going on....ie, if you're seeing a bare breast, she's doing it wrong...

Quick Reply: Dogs and puppies