Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Concern for son

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2004, 10:28 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Concern for son

My son has had a fear of dentists since he was a young boy and this fear has remained into adulthood.The result now is , his mouth is an absolute nightmare -broken teeth , decay , gum disease etc .
He is constantly taking pain killers because of the discomfort.
If I mention his oral hygiene he goes ballistic .
I've offered to pay for his treatment , but still he refuses to get expert opinion let alone treatment.
I am concerned for his general health as a result of this neglect.
Any ideas how I can get him to a dental surgery?
Old 09 June 2004, 10:29 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Start with a psychologist?
Old 09 June 2004, 10:34 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

Yes, I agree with the above. It's an irrational (well, not that irrational) fear and needs to be treated.

Failing that, a really good dose of Chloroform and off to the dentist we go...

Steve.
Old 09 June 2004, 10:50 AM
little miss fire
Scooby Regular

I too used to have a fear of the dentist due to having lots of problems when I was younger. My dentist now says I have a perfect set due to all the work I had done when I was little.

The way I got over my dentist fear is that I have a mate who is a dentist, and I had really bad toothache. I went to see him and for the first couple of times he did nothing but look in my mouth - no tools, drills or proddy things. That kinda got my trust up for him to then do some work. He actually removed 2 wisdom teeth that had crumbled away. No pain what so ever, only slight discomfort for a couple of seconds while injections went in.

I still to this day go to the same dentist, won't let anyone else do any work on my teeth. And every 6 months I go, the first thing I say is, now you're not going to prod around and hurt me are you????? He knows my fears, but he respects them and tells me everything he is going to do before he does it.

Trick is to find a kind dentist, who understands your sons fear of the dentist, and gradually build up the trust needed.

Good luck !!!
Old 09 June 2004, 10:53 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Much like you can get fear of flying courses/treatment, I'm sure there must be a similar thing available for fear of dentists.

Has he got a girlfriend? I suspect a female peer may have more luck pointing out that the state of his mouth could be detrimental to his future pulling power
Old 09 June 2004, 10:56 AM
gavnnik
Scooby Regular

In certain circumstances and at special clinics dentists can use general anaesthetics.

The neglect of oral hygiene can have serious repurcussions on general health.

I recruit dentists for a living, PM if you want to discuss further I may be able to put you in touch with people who can help.
Old 09 June 2004, 10:57 AM
foamy
Scooby Regular

Cosmetic dentistry - they will make him a masking set of enamel teeth to hide his real gnashers!

Again, another vote for chloroform.
Old 09 June 2004, 11:02 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I think you need to try and convince him to go and get an assessment at the dentist and assure him that absolutely no treatment will be done at this assessment. If he won't even do this then I guess councilling is the only optio left, but only after knowing exactly what needs doing and what he faces if he doesn't get it done can he make a rational choice between:

1) More pain stretching over years to come, difficulty eating, infection that could become systemic, blood poisoning etc. not to mention the fact that the amount of dental treatment to put it right increases every day he doesn't go.

2) A planned treatment programme so he knows what to expect and when to expect it. Some immediate pain and discomfort of dental treatments to put it right, and after treatment is finished hopefully nothing more then an annual check up. Treatment may even be available under general anaesthetic. Basically it can't be worse than having constant pain and a mouth full of rotting teeth and festering abscesses!

If he has the assessment and still chooses number one despite knowing exactly what is going to happen and he is an adult then there is nothing you can reasonably do bar section him if/when it becomes life threatening!
Old 09 June 2004, 11:36 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Smile

Rob, Ditto what ajm says, I know, I've been there, seen it, done and now wear the t-shirt

You have a two-part private message, it was too long to pm in one go and far too horrible to post on here

Sal
Old 09 June 2004, 12:20 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

my wife is a dentist and says with phobic patients there are several options. A gp could prescribe oral sedatives so that he could attend for a check up - the dentist could then refer him for treatment under sedation or to a hospital for a general anaesthetic, hypnotherapy( from a non dentist) can help particularly if you can not get him to the dental surgery, some dentists may be prepared to do a consultation in a non clinical environment which may help him to relax, there are also several homeopathic remedies to help with anxiety
Old 09 June 2004, 12:22 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Go with him to see his GP and discuss the issue with him, he could perhaps arrange for your son to see a trick cyclist.
I'm sure he will help and its not like visiting the Dentist. He may refer him to the local hospital which your son may find acceptable.

His poor dental condition will seriously affect his general health.
Good luck.
Old 09 June 2004, 12:35 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Valium
Old 09 June 2004, 12:46 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can relate to this alright

I'm not that keen on dentists, but generally tolerate what needs to be done.

Having a really good looking lady dentist also helps too

I've had a real bad problem with an absess, and to cut a long story short, I've had to have the root canal treatment done 4 times on the same fecking tooth!

But the 4th time was a completey different story, she knew I was suffering and chomping away on pain killers (which don't actually help by the way). She suggested I go for sedation and I did.

Just go the the dentist, she checks your heart rate/pulse etc and give you a wee injection in the arm.............Bingo, off to sleep you go.

You can fight the sleep (which she said I was doing), but best to just let it send you over and then wake up later on.

You also have the best nights sleep (assuming you have the work done at night) ever...trust me.

Oh, and if your dentist is female and good looking (assuming your a bloke, and not gay ) you are free to ponder over whatever thoughts go around in your little head

GO TO SLEEP MAN!

All the best,

Shaun

Last edited by urban; 09 June 2004 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09 June 2004, 12:49 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

I used to have a fear of dentists after a bad experience with one years ago.

Eventually I came to my senses got insurance and went private. I was lucky enough to be referred to a proper professional who was expert at putting me at ease. Everything got sorted and I go every 6 months now.

While I can't hand on heart say I *enjoy* going, I really don't mind it, and after every visit I feel great knowing that I have conquered the problem, and having the reassurance of knowing everything is in order - vital if you have to travel abroad regularily.

Just tell him to stop being a whimp, and get on with it.

UB
Old 09 June 2004, 12:51 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

my dentist uses a new device which is laser based to zap away decay and negate the need for drilling.
its a little bit more pricey but painless.
I too used to have a fear of dentists which culminated in me not visiting one for ten or so years.
however, I brush my teeth like a bast4rd to avoid the need for dentistry.
I think its called helozone treatment or something like that.
Old 09 June 2004, 01:20 PM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

Try to find a female dentist. I too had a real problem with dentists and didn't go for years. I eventually had to face my fear and picked a female dentist (by chance)

I found that stupid manly pride prevents you from panicking or 'doing a runner' and it genuinely helped me.

I now go every 6 months like a good boy

BTW - eventually he will have no choice but to go as REAL dental pain will have you curled in a ball somewhere with you begging someone to sort it out - might as well do it sooner than later

Matt
Old 10 June 2004, 10:36 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Not all female dentist are brilliant you know!!!
Old 10 June 2004, 10:37 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

PM me I may be able to give you some advice.