Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Road Angel or Snooper

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2004, 10:31 PM
SIBBO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Angel or Snooper

These days you need eyes in the back of your head so its time for me to buy a radar detector. I am not sure which one to go for but i quite like the look of the new Road Angle any feed back would be grateful as i have only 400 more miles to go until i have run in my WR1

Many thanks Tim
Old 08 June 2004, 10:37 PM
(R-6)
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SIBBO
These days you need eyes in the back of your head so its time for me to buy a radar detector. I am not sure which one to go for but i quite like the look of the new Road Angle any feed back would be grateful as i have only 400 more miles to go until i have run in my WR1

Many thanks Tim
Hi Tim,

Have had the R/A Fitted for a while now, and has never let me down.

Picks up the new speedy trap things and lazer too.

I can only quote on my own experiance, so i say, there very good.

Chris
Old 08 June 2004, 10:47 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

im intersted in the new Road Angle myself

someone was on about the Origin b2
Old 08 June 2004, 11:07 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Seems to be a hot debate between origin and r/a. I think if you want simplicity then r/a is the one to go for, dead easy to use and very reliable, if you are a feature freak then maybe the origin. I have a R/A and a PDA with the POI's loaded for the speedtraps, so far, so good, neither has been better than the other, but belt and braces and all that!
Old 08 June 2004, 11:19 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

origin is the better unit, no contest.
Old 08 June 2004, 11:28 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

But why is it so much better Nevetas
Old 08 June 2004, 11:44 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Better database, better screen, much nicer slimmer unit that can be installed anywhere. No nasty leads. No mess on top off the Dash.

Take it out the car and keep it in your pocket if needed.

Jammer Plugs straight into it. If and when you get one.

Does everything r/a does, but much more, and it's sexier

Old 09 June 2004, 12:05 AM
wooosh
Scooby Regular

I agree with the above. I sold my RA and bought an Origin. Much better unit, no wires messing around, more features, user freindly, looks better, fits in pocket, talks to you, tells you the road your on and the direction your travelling in.

no contest.
Old 09 June 2004, 12:11 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nevetas
Better database
Never been let down by the R/A in 12,000 miles
better screen
Not sure how relevant that is where you have yours positioned
much nicer slimmer unit
Some us prefer chuncky
that can be installed anywhere.
It won't fit in the slot of my CD player
No nasty leads. No mess on top off the Dash.
Easy enough to hardwire a R/A comes with all the kit
Take it out the car and keep it in your pocket if needed.
Same for a R/A - just need slightly bigger pockets
Jammer Plugs straight into it. If and when you get one.
As it does for the R/A - it has an Aux port that can be used for daisy chaining Laser detectors so you can have one front and rear as well as jammers.
Does everything r/a does, but much more,
Think I said that - but depends if you want the baiscs to keep your licence or all the bells and whistles
and it's sexier
But not as sexy as my PDA!!!

At the end of the day - horses for corses, 2 schools with differing opinions, what is a problem with one of them to some people is an advantage to others. Have a read of the various reviews and choose the one that does what you want for the money you want to spend. Both will detect cameras and protect your licence IF and only IF you keep it updated regularly!
Old 09 June 2004, 07:13 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wooosh
I agree with the above. I sold my RA and bought an Origin. Much better unit, no wires messing around, more features, user freindly, looks better, fits in pocket, talks to you, tells you the road your on and the direction your travelling in.

no contest.
People keep saying "no wires", so I assume the b2 is battery operated? If so that would be a serious drawback as far as I am concerned, the possibility of the batteries running out midway through a long journey is not an option.

Why do you need it to talk to you? A beep is fine, tells you what it needs to.

Likewise the road and direction, that seems irrelevant to me, I just want to know if there is a speed camera ahead that affects my side of the road. If I want to know where I am, then I am lost and need to know how to get to where I want to be and so that's where you use SatNav, and compared to a SatNav set up I suspect the B2 falls short.

Again just making the point, it isn't that the B2 is better or vice versa, they offer different things, it is a case of what you want from a camera detector.
Old 09 June 2004, 07:24 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

They are saying no wires because they have hard wired it in,so its a slightly misleading statement

The RA has the advantage of portability due to built in antennae,the Origin needs an installed antennae.So If you need portability and you dont want to install an antennae in all your cars, ie you may access to several pool cars,whatever, (or you may have a company car and you cant drill holes in it or you dont want wires all over the place)they go for the RA,if not,and you are happy with an installed antennae,then the additional fucntions with the OB2 make it a better choice,imo (ie voice alerts,road identification,speed etc etc)

The Origin has the advantage of being able to be fit below the dash as well,as already pointed out.
Old 09 June 2004, 10:40 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Never been let down by RA, and it wins on its portability alone.

In one week it was used in both my cars, my bro-in-laws, a hire car etc.

The new one is sleeker, better display, yet is still just as portable - RA without question IMHO.
Old 09 June 2004, 10:47 AM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

SIBBO
Have you looked at http://www.road-angel-gps.co.uk
I'm very tempted to get one.

See know ones saying anything about the snooper
Old 09 June 2004, 11:17 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I too have been looking into this but I want something that warns me of mobile cameras more than anything as where I live there are no fixed cameras. I've been got twice, once by a police gun and I suspect I've been done yesterday by a van.

However, many people have said that Origin or Snooper don't alert you of mobile cameras until you more or less on top of them which leads me to think I should get a jammer intstead LRC100?
Old 09 June 2004, 11:28 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

EddScott - laser detectors are quite effective at a long range, the problem is that it takes a fraction of a second to get a reading, so once you have been pinged, you don't have the time to slow down. This is where the jammer would come in.

Most SCAMERA partnerships publish the locations that they will be operating mobile cameras on given days. I used this for Leicestershire to record all their locations so I now get a warning, OK I don't know if there is a camera there, but it is a reminder to just check my speed.
Old 09 June 2004, 12:26 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I have gone for the Origin B² myself.

I looked at them both in detail at the motorshow and found the Origin B² to suit me better, mainly for the size of the unit and amount of information displayed and some of the functions. Portability isn't really a necessity for me. It is possible to buy additional kits, so it isn't impossible to transfer it between vehicles, but not as straightforward as the Road Angel, and not possible if the car isn't yours (i.e. Hire car).

It is also possible to add a Radar detector to the Origin B² for mobile cameras if needed.

Origin B² Website here
Old 09 June 2004, 08:18 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

origin b2
speak with jason at alpha-telecom
www.alpha-telecom.co.uk
he's got a good deal on at the mo.

check out my fitting pix
http://www.smart-corner.fotopic.net/c162749.html
Old 09 June 2004, 09:02 PM
wooosh
Scooby Regular

As someone else said earlier "horses for courses". I have now owned both. My first reaction when recieving the RA from a seller on ebay was "Jeezus, its ugly and bigger then I thought". It worked well but I found the tone of alarm it gave out a bit annoying even with adjustments. The laser detector was very big and I was getting annoyed at the wires spinging up my dashboard. As it sits on top of the dash it is very easy for would be thiefs to spot so you have to remove it everytime you leave the car and then go through the process of digging it out again, sticking it to the dash, sticking the laser attachment to the window, then tidying the wires the best you could. At the end of the day mine stayed in the glove compartment.

So I bought the origin. its hard wired so isn't portable if this is an issue. (my RA never left my car once so this wasn't for me). It is removed in a micro second and replaced the same way. There are no wires to be seen, the laser detector is up behind my rear view mirror and you would never see it unless you were looking for it. If you have ever been lost with your wife holding the map in the passenger seat (who is useless) you will know how frustrating it is having to stop and point out where you might be every 10 minutes. The fact that the origin tells you the road your on and direction your travelling in is a great help.The reason it speaks to you is so you don't have to take your eyes off the road to know the potential hazard ie "Gatso...seventy" or "laser".

All IMHO of course...

Last edited by wooosh; 09 June 2004 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09 June 2004, 11:14 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

i've been over the moon with my B2 in the Smart car.. looks soo kool on the dash. I don't use my speedo amy more.. i look across at the B2 to see what speed i'm zippin around at.
School warning is good.. as is the 'over speed' warning... i'm set at 80mph. only hit it a few times tho lol
Old 10 June 2004, 12:30 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Personally I use a PDA with the pocketgpsworld speed camera database. The kit can be had for around the same price as the Road Angel/Origin/Snooper setups, and has the added bonus of street-level routing and normal PDA functions!
Old 10 June 2004, 08:50 PM
SIBBO
Scooby Regular

Thanks all for some good points and some bad points, I do like the look of the new R/A and one of my mates has a snooper in his TVR 350 as we have 2 cars having a unit which is portable would help.

cheers Tim
Old 10 June 2004, 08:58 PM
Gooner
Scooby Regular

Smile Snooper S4 Neo

I have just purchased a snooper S4 Neo, small, talks to you, integrated laser detector.
When you detect a laser you have probably already been nicked!
Laser jammer such as LRC 100 needed too.
I have now passed the 1000 miles in my WR1 and delighted with it, S4 looks good, very easy installation, only a power lead needed.
If you go for a laser jammer I can give you tips on fitting, no holes to drill, and fairly easy.
Cheers
David (Gooner)
Old 27 February 2006, 08:55 PM
jaskel
Scooby Regular

www.drive-smart.co.uk is the best one on the market...and they are also releasing a jammer that will kill anything on the market.
Old 28 February 2006, 02:04 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

It's perfectly possible to fit the Origin B2 into hire cars, all you need is a bit of blutac. It may not look nice but it works.

There is a separate antenna and laser detector, and the unit itself attaches to a very small cradle.

In my Legacy, I have the antenna on top of the hazard light switch, by which I mean it's underneath the dashboard (GPS works fine through plastic) the laser detector is above the rear view mirror, and I have the cradle sat in front of the rev counter, hiding the clock, no wires are visible. Ok so in this position I cannot read my revs below 2K RPM, but I really don't care about that. If I did I'd put it elsewhere..

Oh, it has connectors for an optional radar detector and a jammer.