House insurance (another one)

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2004, 09:58 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default House insurance (another one)

Hi peeps,

Just after a little advice really. This morning I managed to completely break my tosh lappy by knocking it off the shelf and smashed the screen. Its quite knackered. I have accidental damage and new for old in the insurance. When it comes to the replacement, what rights do I have.

The reason I ask is that I wouldnt mind a dell and also if it goes through the company I work for, Ill get a nice fat slice off the retail price. However can they insist on them purchasing the laptop ?

Will they try and stick me with a Dico's special 699 heap o' crap. I originally paid £1K for it.
Old 08 June 2004, 10:03 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

If you have new for old, they should just stump up a cheque to cover the cost of purchasing a new one.
Old 08 June 2004, 10:16 AM
mgg
Scooby Regular

If you have notified you insurance by phone they will send you a claim form.
Just buy the new laptop and send in the receipt with the claim form, a few weeks later you will receive a cheque from the insurance company.

Thats all i did when i claimed new house guttering, i had the work done myself and then sent the invoice to the insurance company, they paid me in full within 10 days..........sorted!
Old 08 June 2004, 10:52 AM
yoza
BANNED

They replace it like for like.

Value doesnt come into it.

Eg. If you payed £300 for a 3.1 mega pixel camera, 12 months ago. They will replace it with a £150 3.1 mega pixel today, if they can.

They give you a few options on make and model, then they go to a separate company who act like a buying house. They scource the item and send it to you.

Im still waiting for settlement 4 weeks after a break in, they have settled on a few items but not all.

We have had to do all the running round and phoning them up every other day, its done our heads in.

The assesor who knocked at the house even doubted what had happened.

"They smashed the double glazed unit, well in my 15 years in this business Ive never seen that !"..............Pr1ck.

Now they have caught the smack ed who did it, so will that change his attitude ?