Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tube workers vote to strike

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2004, 01:51 PM
SD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tube workers vote to strike

Why oh why can't something be done to end the stranglehold that unions seem to have in this country. According to this BBC new article tube workers have voted to strike, rejecting a 3% pay offer and wanting the working week reduced to 32 hours. Do they live in the real world??? As if holding the travelling public to ransom isn't bad enough, they want to do it on June 10th and in the process they just may stop ordinary members of the public excercising their democratic rights at the ballot box.

Bunch of workshy cowards. They need to get a grip and if they don't like it, then get another job. No-one forces them to drive trains or operate traffic lights. But no, once again the 'world owes me a living' factor plays large in the UK.

Simon.
Old 02 June 2004, 01:57 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Maggie ended the Union stranglehold, it is much less of an issue now than it was.
Old 02 June 2004, 06:35 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I think it is a fantastic idea to strike on the day of the election. We should hold a fuel protest on the same day as it would have a significant impact upon the news agenda and would bring transport issues, which is why we are all on this forum, to the foreground.

For too long the government, no matter who they are, have been taking 36 billion quid from the motorist and giving us nothing but further taxation, such as through speed cameras, in return.
Old 02 June 2004, 06:46 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgehog
For too long the government, no matter who they are, have been taking 36 billion quid from the motorist and giving us nothing but further taxation, such as through speed cameras, in return.
and giving us a free healthcare system. and a free education system. and a hugely subsidised further education system.
Old 02 June 2004, 06:56 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Angry

Why oh why can't something be done to end the stranglehold that unions seem to have in this country. According to this BBC new article tube workers have voted to strike, rejecting a 3% pay offer and wanting the working week reduced to 32 hours. Do they live in the real world??? As if holding the travelling public to ransom isn't bad enough, they want to do it on June 10th and in the process they just may stop ordinary members of the public excercising their democratic rights at the ballot box.

Bunch of workshy cowards. They need to get a grip and if they don't like it, then get another job. No-one forces them to drive trains or operate traffic lights. But no, once again the 'world owes me a living' factor plays large in the UK.
I take it you don't belong to a union then? So who fights your corner when things go **** up?. Who fights for better pay and conditions for you? Do you think employers would pay a decent wage if they didn't have too? I suppose you'd have us starting work at 11 years old eh! down the pit or under a loom in some god forsaken mill? From 6 in the morning till 7 at night? When i listen and read the bull**** that people like you spout it makes my **** itch!! if your so smug in your self contained little world, then why make comments about something you obviously know **** all about. WORKSHY!! What time do you drag yourself out of your squallid flea pit to start work? and to do what may I enquire? I lay odds your some seat polishing **** who has never produced a thing in his entire life of any true value? Yes I am a union member and have been for 30 years. No I'm not workshy, in fact I've probably worked harder and longer in my life than you have spent on this planet!! So why don't you take yourself for a nice walk under the nearest train or bus, and let those who created the wealth of this country by the sweat of their brow, try to force a decent living wage out of this dictitorial government who seem to have forgot who put them there in the first place.
dave
Old 02 June 2004, 07:03 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by milo
and giving us a free healthcare system. and a free education system. and a hugely subsidised further education system.
My point exactly. Every time you see one of those green cycle riding nutters on the TV wanting you and I put off the roads just ask who, exactly, has paid for their healthcare and education.

Motorists are paying more than their fair share in this country and the time has come to get the government off our backs. Instead of persecution we need recognition that the whole economy is based on the private motorist and we don't want chips in our number plates to monitor our every move we want appreciation for our contribution.
Old 02 June 2004, 07:29 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgehog
My point exactly. Every time you see one of those green cycle riding nutters on the TV wanting you and I put off the roads just ask who, exactly, has paid for their healthcare and education.
income tax, national insurance, excise duty, corporation tax, vat.. i think in that order (if i remember my economics lessons correctly), altho im sure someone has the figures?

income from motorists, as i understand it comes in somewhere much further down the list in the "other" category.

Motorists are paying more than their fair share in this country and the time has come to get the government off our backs. Instead of persecution we need recognition that the whole economy is based on the private motorist and we don't want chips in our number plates to monitor our every move we want appreciation for our contribution.
i don't think the whole economy is based on the private motorist at all. in fact, i'd be surprised if it made up a fraction, as i think most fuel tax revenue comes from diesel (i.e. lorries). the main income source for the economy are the sources i listed above.

yes, motorists pay more than they financially cost in terms of the roads, but that's the tax model in this country (it is optional - you dont HAVE to stay here). funnily enough, the govt would rather tax the motorist in an attempt to make them use their cars less, instead of putting more on income tax (and therefore giving a disincentive to work), or on capital gains tax (and therefore giving a disincentive to invest in the economy). you also have to remember that motorists do cause pollution, which they should have to pay for somehow. furthermore, car accidents cause a huge drain on the nhs, so too right motorists should have to pay towards this.

don't get me wrong - im not some tree hugging do-gooder (and i do own a car), but i will HAPPILY pay much more fuel tax if it lowered my income tax. i'd MUCH rather have more of an incentive to work harder than an incentive to drive around burning up fuel.

i think we have to be realistic.. **** has to be paid for somehow. if it doesnt come from the petrol pumps, it has to come from somewhere... and the other options suck way more.