Seance on Ch4 by derren brown

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2004, 11:26 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seance on Ch4 by derren brown

<cough> Horse**** </cough>

Seen a seance, and it's all bull. Influenced one myself too.....some people are far too gullible and too easily influenced.

Fun if you're the one controlling it.
Old 31 May 2004, 11:31 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

They play on people's fears....group fear. Escalates quickly into paranoia. Funny how they always use the dark
Old 31 May 2004, 11:40 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Phew.....glad he told them all at the end they'd manipulated the whole thing themselves. See how gullible ppl are!
Old 31 May 2004, 11:44 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

The guy is known for influencing peoples minds so what do they expect. I personally picked Dave off the pic list.

Pretty poor program tbh, russian roulette was better but I prefer his older programs where he just roamed the streets playing poker and stone, paper scissors etc.

Simon.

P.S. Girl in room is on her own and really scared - erm why not bolt for the door yourself - why wait for someone to come? That happens to her the exact time Derren starts talking to her........
Old 31 May 2004, 11:53 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

You don't wanna be watching that chav fairground crap....

UB
Old 31 May 2004, 11:56 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Ach, he's a good laugh. At least he admits at the end of these things that it was a psychological trick.....and doesn't leave it hanging. More fool the UK public who phoned in saying odd things were happening in their house
Old 01 June 2004, 12:00 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Was ti meant to be live (phone-ins etc), cos they all had gloves n scarves etc on and outside it was freezing
Old 01 June 2004, 12:02 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by imlach
More fool the UK public who phoned in saying odd things were happening in their house
Hey... what was that Did you see *that*??? Wierd **** dude...

lol - lamers...

UB
Old 01 June 2004, 12:02 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

sidhead: doh, haven't you seen the 6th sense? It's always cold when there's spirits around
Old 01 June 2004, 12:06 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

It was not "live" in the true sense. Hate the way "live" is abused these days.

Far too many tv events are billed as "live" these days when they quite clearly are not. "Live" by definition should mean it is happening at the same moment in time as we view it.
Old 01 June 2004, 01:02 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
LOL I got the womans name (Jane) but deliberately didn't play along as instructed, sat there and showed the mrs that it was easy to get the same answer. You had to start with one of the coloured pictures. The most prominent picture was bottom left (the bloke smoking) and yep if you picked that you got to Jane. Would also be interested to see if picking another coloured picture would arrive at the same result, ie the pics were arranged so that the pattern always gave the same answer - like many picture tricks.
Yes, it WAS a picture trick....that was quite obvious. Either to root out 90% of probable answers, or it got the same answer 100% of the time. Would need to see it again to decide which.
Old 01 June 2004, 08:45 AM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

How did he get the suggestions from the letter across to the girl? He mentioned ill grandmothers earlier, but didnt hear any mention of a cat/Harry or Builders.
Old 01 June 2004, 09:58 AM
DarkMan
Scooby Regular

The picture trick works well, i belive every photo except one would have lead to Jane
Old 01 June 2004, 10:05 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i picked jayne to start with but never botherd with all the diagnol and sideways stuff

what i dont understand, is how he made that bird "turn into" the jayne thing and start speaking as her and rocking backwards and forwards

that was the most impressive thing IMO
if hes not a hypnotist of sum sort
i was talking to a mate as it happend and i commented on how the "jayne" speaker was the only one at that time who didnt look like she was about to drop her kegs due to body waste, but this only applied while she was "taken"

i did notice the rocking and stuff while she was speaking, gave the impression ofa little girl, very clever stuff

i did a ouijia board when i was younger with sum mates, had a wierd experiance and vowed never to do another one, that program explained a lot, but doesnt explain what happend to me at all lol
Old 01 June 2004, 10:20 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

We were going to join in, but then as soon as he started with the picture thing I knew it was one of those maths type things (you know, think of an animal, multipy your age by 2 yadaa yadda) and that everyone would end up with Jane.
Old 01 June 2004, 12:39 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

It was so obvious they were all hypnotised and just responding to suggestion. It is very clever what he does, hey even I wrote London on a piece of blank paper, he is just very good at influencing people's subconcious through the way he talks.

Quijboard (sp?) didn't work for me though
Old 01 June 2004, 12:59 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

My town was qzxybl~~~~~

Maybe in the former Soviet block?
Old 01 June 2004, 04:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Not a good thing to mess about with I'd say, whether there is anything in it or not. Many people in past years have been deeply affected by spiritualism and suchlike practises. Their minds can be permanently damaged by clever con artists or even serious protagonists.

Les
Old 01 June 2004, 04:41 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Leslie - you have a fair point when it comes to those that claim they are genuine and some people really belive in them. The belivers can end up hanging on a spiritualists every suggestion and end up ruining thier lives or beliveing things about dead realatives that are not true. Even worse there have been cases in the US where spiritualists have told grieving parents that a missing child is dead or still alive and then it turns out to be the other way round, one can't even start to imagine the harm these con merchants can to to those who are duped in to beliveing that they have a genuine powers.

<Standard Paranormal Disclaimer>
I keep an open mind on the paranormal, my current belief is that it is all bogus and have yet to see and scientific eveidence that would lead me to belive otherwise, I am prepared however, to change my opinion in the light of irrifutable scientific evidence to the contary.
</Standard Paranormal Disclaimer>
Old 01 June 2004, 04:45 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

lol i don't have scientific evidence but i did see a very good psychic/spiritualist/woteva the other day

Derren Brown's show was obviously going to be about mind control and nothing that he couldn't control i.e the paranormal. Was amazed at their reaction last night with all the crying etc.
Old 01 June 2004, 04:51 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

weapon69 - mmm, we have discussed such matters before.

It would seem our views have changed little, and I am still yet to see a halfway convincing spiritualist, in fact I think Derren did a considerably better job last night demonstrating how the "spiritualist" perform a reading than they do themseleves.

Interesting that he can provide all this information about somebody in the audience and says it is all a trick and everybody is happy, and yet when somebody else does the same thing and calls themseleves a medium or a spiritualist people think they are doing something differently. All I can say is that if the spirtualist are contacting the dead for their information, they are doing things the hard way.
Old 01 June 2004, 04:58 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Yeh i do enjoy Derren Brown's programmes when he does the mind reading thing. The only thing i haven't worked out is how the spiritualist knew something that i didn't and was very specific (have listened to my tape recording about 6 times ) and when i checked it out, it was true
Old 01 June 2004, 05:21 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

We can debate this to the nth degree again but I don't see it getting us any further forward than it did the last time.

You belive because you want to belive (short reason, little more complex than that) I don't believe because of all the transcripts I have read, videos I have seen and accounts I have had recounted to me I have yet to find anything these people have done that can't be explained in a scientific, real world way.

For any given "event" there are any number of explanations for why or how that event occured. (there may be exceptions but...) There is generally only 1 correct reason for why or how that event occurred. The explanations can generally be categorised as:
1) A scientific explanation
2) A paranormal explanation
3) We don't know the answer

Assuming people don't get convinced that option 2 is correct first, most people will accept option 1. If there is no option 1 (quite often the case), then I am happy to accept option 3, other people are not happy to accept that we don't have a testable explanation for the event so will look for a paranormal explantion that condradicts the laws of science (that's what the paranormal is). The fact that the paranormal explanation is untestable or will fail to stand up to a scientific test doesn't matter, it still "seems" to be a better explanation than "we don't know".

The problem with anything based on faith (and again that's what the paranormal is, as there is no scientific evidence to support it) is that once people have taken that route, they find it very hard to take a step back when new evidence is presented that contradicts their current belief. Science however is self regulating, a theory is proposed to explain and event, a test is concieved to acertain if that theory may be correct. If the test supports the theory then the the tests will be repeated by other scientists to validate the original test. If at any time the test fails then the theory can be discounted and we move on to develop another theory. However, if a theory stands the test of time and after many tests it is still shown to be true, we can state with a degree of confidence that that theory is a fact. By fact we do not mean an absolute, we are always prepared to accept the eveidence of a future test that may cause us to question the validity of the original theory. This is why I always state that I a prepared to change my opinion on some paranormal event if scientific evidence is produced. (and by scientific evidence I include all the usualy caveats of repeatability and validation that the testing methods are not flawed etc, all the usual good scientific practice).
Old 01 June 2004, 05:32 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

The only flaw in that argument is how we came to exist? Is that science, or biology or religion or what?

I dont really believe in ghosts these days, or god or anything else paranormal, but being alive does always amaze me - the fact we have built things etc etc
Old 01 June 2004, 08:48 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Dream Weaver - no flaw at all as far as I am concerned, that falls in to the "We don't know the answer", and I have no problem with that at all.

Religion is just one of the suggested answers, it falls in to the paranormal category again (sorry that's going to upset a few people) but again, there is no scientific evidence for the existence of a supreme being. No doubt lots of people will start quoting the Bible or the Koran or other religious texts but they all fail to stand up to close scrutiny I am afraid.

Yes I a gree however that life is amazing, but I am prepared to accept that we are here and just make the most of it without having to have an explanation for our existence, as so far I have been unable to find an convincing explanation, until one comes along I'll stick with my "I don't know".
Old 01 June 2004, 11:10 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

The "pick a picture" trick works as follows (numbers represent cards, C or B to represent colour or black&white)...

01C 02B 03C 04C
05B 06B 07B 08C
09C 10C 11B 12B

Pick as colour card

- Thus must be 01, 03, 04, 08, 09 or 10

Move left or right to nearest B&W

- Thus must be 02, 07 or 11

Move up or down to nearest colour

- Thus must be 03 or 10

Move diagonally to nearest B&W

- Thus must be 06 or 07

Move left or right to nearest colour

- Must be 08, as it is the only coloured card in row 2!!!!!

Easy peasy!!!

As for the seance - how come the IR cameras picked up peoples faces as if it was daylight, but the cup and ball could only just be seen by the luminous dots - plenty of opportunity for a long bamboo pole to work it's "magic"!

Oh, and he emphasises that "no actors or stooges" take part. Well look up the definition of both - loads of other roles are valid. Heck, he even says the same thing on his normal series - but he has had at least two actors on the show. Ok, they were the subject and not the cause - but they still break his own rules!!!

He doesn't measure up to scrutiny

mb
Old 02 June 2004, 12:38 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

did you even watch it right to the end??

you do relise he admitted it was all fake and a experiment
Old 02 June 2004, 12:45 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Not a good thing to mess about with I'd say, whether there is anything in it or not. Many people in past years have been deeply affected by spiritualism and suchlike practises. Their minds can be permanently damaged by clever con artists or even serious protagonists.

Les
I'd say it IS a good thing to mess about with, especially when the public was told at the end it was a stitch-up.

The more people that realise that seances/spiritualists/fortune tellers/horoscopes/mediums, etc etc are all a con, the better.

These con-artists prey on the weak. It's very very sad. String 'em all up I say.
Old 02 June 2004, 07:10 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

boomer - he is a psychological illusionist, and like all magicians, illusionists, cunjorers etc he lies, cheats and mis-directs, that's what it is all about. He does however, freely admit this is the case unlike the paranormal crowd who lie, cheat and mis-direct and then try to claim that they have special powers and are not lying, cheating or mis-directing.

Quick Reply: Seance on Ch4 by derren brown