I like to eat..

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2004, 12:24 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I like to eat..

unfortunately not healthy food

I am starting to walk to work at the moment (a brisk hours walk every morning) to get the ball rolling of the return of my size 8/10 self. Which will be followed on by, in the next couple of weeks, some form of team sport (as recommended by Telboy! ) I also want to eat healthily, but everything I have come across seems to take soooo much time to make! I need convenient(sp?) healthy food.

The reason I posted this is because I have just had the most bland rubbery tasting banana known to man for lunch and I am still starving. I don't fancy putting myself through it again!!

Do you have any quick recipies or ready made foods that you like to use? Need to take into account I can't eat too many nuts and I can't eat anything remotely spicy (I would choke otherwise )

Cheers

C
Old 31 May 2004, 12:33 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

How about one of them nice bags of ready made salad's you get from supermarkets with heaps of mayo ive heard its quite nice
Old 31 May 2004, 12:37 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Have you been putting long things in your mouth again

Your question is very difficult to answer and I personally have had the same battle. The problem here is that many 'so-called' health foods are loaded with sh!te anyway. Sure it might only have 2% fat but it has 3 million grams of carb and you spend the rest of the day tring to burn of your 'healthy' meal Many health foods just seem to be about the packaging. In other words they remove something so they can claim its healthy but bump up something else equally bad to make it taste good. In all honesty the best way to eat healthy is to eat natural and that means retaining control over exactly what is in your foods. Its a sh!te state of affairs and all the fresh air in the world......
Old 31 May 2004, 12:41 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

LOL Kenny

I would try the atkins diet but I am prone to kidney infections and have managed to be without one for quite some time now and would like it to stay that way!!!

You say natural stuff, but then it all takes time for preparation that I don't have!

This sucks. I'm just going to go and get liposuction.
Old 31 May 2004, 12:45 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

a banana for lunch on its own wont cut it. it's more likely to shut your body down from burning fat and will instead cause your body to store fat.

chicken salad or tuna salad are a good bet, especially if you throw in a small amount of wholemeal pasta. use vinegar dressing, or no dressing at all (there is a HUGE amount of calories in most dressings). these are also easy to make.

you need to cut down calories gradually (or your body will go into starvation mode) - so if you're eating (example) 2000 a day now, cut down by 250/day each week until you're at the level you want to maintain at. and eat more meals spaced throughout the day.

team sports are a good bet if you enjoy them (lets face it, you SHOULD enjoy exercise, otherwise dont bother - just limit calories more)... but resistence training is about the best thing you can do.

if you're eating the right things, you should never be hungry, even on a strict cutting diet. if you end up hungry or starving, you're either not eating enough, or are eating the wrong things.
Old 31 May 2004, 12:46 PM
Audi-Boy
BANNED

Just eat less, seriously.

Don't eat all that noncy crap, lettuice leaves etc, coz you know you won't stick to it

Pizza, big macs, kebabs, stella ummm..

I live off the stuff

The last proper meal I had was the 25th of December
Old 31 May 2004, 12:49 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Good advice from Milo.

The problem you'd face doing atkin's is that you eventually can't eat. I got to the stage where I could only eat two small meals a day and was never hungry because my body had slowed to a snails pace. It can be good for 3 months to shift some fat but I'd rather just do exercises that turn your body into a fat burning machine rather than one that runs on minimal juice
Old 31 May 2004, 12:51 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Nonsense. Healthy food that you make yourself does not have to take hours of preparation. Anyway, even if it takes a bit longer than a '"3 minutes in a microwave ready meal", it has an added bonus of destressing - yes, cooking is fun!

For instance, for evening meals, fish and/or chicken is quick. You can even cook a nice bit of fish in the microwave. Put it on a plate, spread some low cal mayo on top, and sprinkle some pepper on top (to your taste). Microwave for 3 minutes, and a bit of side salad, you've got a lovely meal. You can even steam some veg in the microwave at the same time - brocolli comes out wonderfully, and high in iron as well.

Even searing a tuna fillet is very quick. Or a cold tuna salad with grated carrot, lettuce, cherry tomatoes, and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Very tasty.

Chicken? You can buy multipacks of 12 breasts in the supermarket. Freeze them, and take 1 or 2 out in the morning. At teatime, slice them, fry them off with a spash of oil, chopped red onion, bit of garlcic, and some tinned tomatoes. Serve with salad /pasta/rice.

Pasta? Easy. Again, a tin of chopped tomatoes, some red onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and you have a lovely tomato sauce for pasta. Add anything into it - chopped mushroom, peppers, etc. Remember, the pasta comes to the sauce, not the other way round

All the above take 10-15 minutes max, but the time flies by as it's quite therapeutic cooking. All 100% natural with no additives.

You wanna come to my cookery school
Old 31 May 2004, 12:52 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

coz you know you won't stick to it
You know me too well

Cheers milo I find a lot of things bland though, but I don't usually take salt/pepper on my food or any sauces. Occasionally mayo with chips or salt and sauce on a chipper I got my blood pressure taken two weeks ago. I was very surprised to hear the doctor tell me it was super healthy! God only knows how I have managed that I eat the biggest load of poo and am still a smoker (for which btw I am attending the docs tonight to get my patches on perscription )!

Last edited by eClaire; 31 May 2004 at 12:56 PM.
Old 31 May 2004, 12:55 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

yes, cooking is fun!
No it's not.

imlach, would you like a new job as my cook?
Old 31 May 2004, 12:56 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eClaire
I find a lot of things bland though
salsa is your friend, as is mustard. both are very low calorie.

neither need be hot or spicy - get the cool salsa, and get dijon mustard (you can mix this with vinegar too to make your own dressing for salads).

blandness is temporary remember... once you stop eating sugary foods, you will stop craving them.
Old 31 May 2004, 12:59 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

No it's not.

imlach, would you like a new job as my cook?
It truly is fun! What part do you not find fun?
Old 31 May 2004, 01:00 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

.... and am still a smoker (for which btw I am attending the docs tonight to get my patches on perscription )!
Do you want another of my book recommendations?
I know too many who are now addicted to the patches and/or gum....
Old 31 May 2004, 01:02 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imlach
for me.. cleaning up afterwards

plus if you're eating a lot of meals each day.. it gets boring... all of it.

which is why i eat a lot of tuna.. straight out the tin.
Old 31 May 2004, 01:02 PM
||VaNDaL||
Scooby Regular

Location: I am lost. I have gone to find myself, if I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

easy...........

The washing up

Old 31 May 2004, 01:03 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'll second Imlach's book recommendation

Patches are NOT the way to stop IMHO

People who have stopped using NRT have stopped in spite of it and have not stopped because of it..... they have made things harder for themselves but have got there eventually.

Allen Carr is 100% correct

Read the book

Last edited by SiPie; 31 May 2004 at 01:05 PM.
Old 31 May 2004, 01:04 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Home made salsa. So so easy to make. Use a hand blender, and it's as straighforward as a 2 minute hand job....

Tomatoes, red onion, bit of oil, garlic, chilli to taste, fry off and then blend but leave it chunky. Mix some chopped coriander through it.....yum.

Last edited by imlach; 31 May 2004 at 01:11 PM.
Old 31 May 2004, 01:09 PM
||VaNDaL||
Scooby Regular

Location: I am lost. I have gone to find myself, if I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

I beg to differ SiPie, patches do work but only if applied correctly....

the effective application is across mouth (trust me it does work when applied thus)

Old 31 May 2004, 01:10 PM
ChrisB

Seconded!

Personally, I just eat what I want, when I want but just more sure I burn it off.

Previous weekend I was out for a superb curry and six pints

Yesterday I was over at my girlfriends. Had sarnies + a big slice of choccie cake for lunch. Then date and cranberry cake for afternoon tea after going for a nice afternoon walk in the sun. Tea was chicken wrapped in parma ham stuffed with spinach and cheese (lush!) followed by trifle (one helping) and chocolate roulade (two helpings)

I'm still five 'n' half stone lighter and probably a factor of twenty fitter than I was three and a bit years ago
Old 31 May 2004, 01:12 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

All of it!

Patches are NOT the way to stop IMHO

Allen Carr is 100% correct

Read the book
Will do
Old 31 May 2004, 01:13 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

LOL @ ||VaNDaL||

Seriously though...... all you are trying to do is beat nicotine addiction (mainly) so why the **** do people insist on taking more nicotine
Old 31 May 2004, 01:15 PM
||VaNDaL||
Scooby Regular

eClaire read my new diet sheet it works, just follow my simple easy to follow method and I guarantee results (free copy below).

1) Eat Less.
2) Move more.
3) Repeat stages 1 & 2 Daily

It does work, try it

Old 31 May 2004, 01:15 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

eClaire, what did you last try and cook properly?

I reckon you've got some deep rooted phsychological scarring from your Home Eccy classes in S1
Old 31 May 2004, 01:18 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ||VaNDaL||
1) Eat Less.
2) Move more.
3) Repeat stages 1 & 2 Daily

It does work, try it
I think also that if someone is a size 8 or 10, then step 1 is not truly necessary. Don't want to encourage any eating disorder. Eating less is not the answer. Eating the same, but without too many bad things is better, but not obsessing over it. So long as you get plenty of Step 2, Step 1 should take care of itself.
Old 31 May 2004, 01:19 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

LOL Vandal

PMSL imlach!

I was good at home eccy, although the memory that sticks out most is when I was partnered with a boy Stephen to make a chocolate cake. I wouldn't let him near it due to the attraction his fingers had to his nostrils Manky little ****. I wonder if he still picks his nose so openly and freely?
Old 31 May 2004, 01:22 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Last thing I tried to cook properly was.... oh my god, it was ages ago. I think it was the bacon and cheese baguettes I made for Saxo Boy and I that must have been about Feb! Half way through march I made an amazing cooked breakfast thats my activity since Jan 04 (do those count?)
Old 31 May 2004, 01:22 PM
||VaNDaL||
Scooby Regular

I think also that if someone is a size 8 or 10, then step 1 is not truly necessary. Don't want to encourage any eating disorder. Eating less is not the answer. Eating the same, but without too many bad things is better, but not obsessing over it. So long as you get plenty of Step 2, Step 1 should take care of itself.
<------has eating disorder, is a bulimic amnesiac.

stuffs and gorges face, but forgets to throw up

sorry, just not taking this serious, am i???
Old 31 May 2004, 01:25 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

LOL Vandal Who cares! It's Monday, it's sunny outside and no one else is here
Old 31 May 2004, 01:28 PM
||VaNDaL||
Scooby Regular

LOL Vandal Who cares! It's Monday, it's sunny outside and no one else is here
sitting on balcony above harbour with a cold stella, sun is shining, got my shades on, can spit over balcony on to passing tourists and chavs.......

what a grand life.
Old 31 May 2004, 01:29 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

There was a piccy of Lara Flynn Boyle in Now Magazine this week - she was stick thin, ribcage showing, and that amaciated look about her. Ditto Posh Spice, Nicole Kidman, Sophie Dahl. All look hideously unnatractive.

Who the hell thinks this is 'good' to put on a catwalk?