Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone got any tips about using Easyjet?

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2004, 08:25 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone got any tips about using Easyjet?

I've got a month off work soon and am thinking about visiting a few European cities using Easyjet.

Any tips/advice?

Thanks
Paul.....
Old 30 May 2004, 08:43 AM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
I've got a month off work soon and am thinking about visiting a few European cities using Easyjet.

Any tips/advice?

Thanks
Paul.....
Every time ive used them in the past couple of years they've been cheap, on time and professional - its all a bit dash for a seat together if you're travelling with someone because theres no allocated seats but in general very impressive for the prices

David
Old 30 May 2004, 08:58 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Ive had some terrible delays, 2.5 hours in Czech & 5 hours at Newcastle spring to mind as the 2 worst.

For the 5 hour delay in NCL I got a bloody £2 food voucher, wtf is that supposed to buy in an airport?

I still fly with them most of the time, although you may want to check out the other low cost operators to see who is cheapest

http://www.easyjet.com/en/book/index.asp
http://www.ryanair.com/
http://www.bmibaby.com
http://www.thomsonfly.com
http://www.hlx.com/en/
Old 30 May 2004, 09:29 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

What exra's are there.
Taxes?
Airport parking?

Secondly,how about getting to the city centre's,some of the airports are a bity out of the way arent they.
I'm thinking of Paris,Madrid,Berlin,Milan,Rome and Prague.

Last edited by paulr; 30 May 2004 at 09:35 AM.
Old 30 May 2004, 09:40 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paulr
Secondly,how about getting to the city centre's,some of the airports are a bity out of the way arent they.
I'm thinking of Paris,Madrid,Berlin,Milan,Rome and Prague.
For Prague, either take a taxi or get your hotel to pick you up.
Old 30 May 2004, 09:57 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Sit at the back of the plane, when did you last here of one reversing into the ground
Old 30 May 2004, 10:10 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Easyjet? Got to love 'em ! Earlier this month I jumped on a flight to London, did a run down into Brixton, nipped up to Oxford Street, had a few pints in a pub beside Victoria Station (bacon and liver with mash - you try finding that on a menu in Geneva !!! Lovely !!!) then caught a flight back in time for tea. Cost for the flights? 40 quid. Gatwick express cost me another 21 quid - all in all, cheap as chips and a great way to go shopping

Only thing is that Easyjet restrict the weight of your carry on luggage to 5 kilos but that's not really a problem (just have to make more trips)

Geneva airport - if you are interested - is right next to the city centre. Avoid the taxis as they are horrendously expensive. Just take a bus into the centre for about a quid and you'll be there in 10 minutes. Bus stop is right outside the terminal building...can't go wrong.
Old 30 May 2004, 10:19 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

just used them thi sweek came back from NICE

been to NICE three times and back with them now.

I book the first flight of the bay... less likey for hold ups.... no one in the airport... easy jet flights to NICE start at 7am

Book earier the better to get cheaper flights.

had no problems with EasyJet myself.
Old 30 May 2004, 10:30 AM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

I used them for Prague in January.On the flight there,it was a mad dash for the seats and not knowing this I missed out.I made sure I was in the lounge early and ready for the dash on return but then for some reason they did it in halves of the plane.
Old 30 May 2004, 10:43 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Excellent...what about parking charges at this end?
Old 30 May 2004, 04:41 PM
deanimus
Scooby Regular

Went to Prague in Jan too, great service and flight was on time. Well worth the £40
Old 30 May 2004, 05:57 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Nottingham East Midlands airport......£18.20 for two days parking
Old 30 May 2004, 06:42 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Expedia.co.uk have some cheap flights i've been told.
Old 30 May 2004, 06:50 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

their good i used them to go to northen ireland to buy my evo
Old 30 May 2004, 06:52 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

£18.20 for two days parking
Still less than it costs you in central london....
Old 30 May 2004, 07:15 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

True,but it makes the headline price of £27.49 to Milan a little less appetising.
Old 30 May 2004, 07:26 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

mate if i woz u i would go to amsterdam and get me some maidens and marry them for the weekend and rattle them
Old 30 May 2004, 07:37 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by STi-Frenchie
Easyjet? Got to love 'em ! Earlier this month I jumped on a flight to London, did a run down into Brixton, nipped up to Oxford Street, had a few pints in a pub beside Victoria Station (bacon and liver with mash - you try finding that on a menu in Geneva !!! Lovely !!!) then caught a flight back in time for tea. Cost for the flights? 40 quid. Gatwick express cost me another 21 quid - all in all, cheap as chips and a great way to go shopping
LOL - a run down into Brixton, eh? Wonder what Frenchie was shopping for?

UB
Old 31 May 2004, 12:57 AM
Smiler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
Ive had some terrible delays, 2.5 hours in Czech & 5 hours at Newcastle spring to mind as the 2 worst.

For the 5 hour delay in NCL I got a bloody £2 food voucher, wtf is that supposed to buy in an airport?
Plus they would of refunded the cost of the flight once you hit a 4 hour delay
Old 31 May 2004, 07:25 AM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

5hrs? wish id have had that when i was flying with virgin 13hr delay and a £5 food voucher. WTF?!
Old 31 May 2004, 10:15 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
LOL - a run down into Brixton, eh? Wonder what Frenchie was shopping for?

UB
Terribly innocent I'm afraid...Windmill Hot Pepper Sauce is all. Can't buy it over the 'net any more so have to go down Atlantic Road to get it. The geezer in the shop wasn't sure if I was winding him up or not when I told him I'd come over from Switzerland just to get it
Old 31 May 2004, 09:43 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Angry

I've flown Easyjet once, and won't do it again. They cancelled the flight and didn't have any alternative options - "you will get a full refund, or another flight", so me, "OK I'll have a seat on tomorrow morning's flight", them, "Sorry sir it's full". I had to go to Heathrow in the end and take a BA flight.
My ticket wasn't even that cheap - only saved £30 or so on a BA flight. On the return journey, the plane was an utter shed too - the seat was totally collapsed. Never again.
Old 01 June 2004, 12:04 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mungo
I've flown Easyjet once, and won't do it again. They cancelled the flight and didn't have any alternative options - "you will get a full refund, or another flight", so me, "OK I'll have a seat on tomorrow morning's flight", them, "Sorry sir it's full". I had to go to Heathrow in the end and take a BA flight.
My ticket wasn't even that cheap - only saved £30 or so on a BA flight. On the return journey, the plane was an utter shed too - the seat was totally collapsed. Never again.
The trouble is, most people expect BA levels of service but want to pay Easyjet prices It doesn't work that way sadly. Since when did it say on the terms & conditions that Easyjet should ply you with food & drink if the flight is delayed? I suspect it doesn't....

They quite fairly offered you a refund or an alternative flight. What more could they do? Magic a plane out of nowhere with spare seats?

We've been brought up to expect BA/existing pre-1990 scheduled airline service (ie, when lots of planes didn't fly 100% full). Sadly, a budget airline wouldn't be "budget" if it didn't attain close to 100% capacity. That's how the business model works.

Hence when something goes wrong, you're less likely to be offered/get an immediate alternative....

....but you all knew that when you booked. It's cheap for a reason . I do accept a broken seat shouldn't be part of the budget experience though

Suffice to say, the existing decent scheduled airlines (BA, Lufthansa, etc) now all offer fantastic deals on some routes, and for me, it was worth paying a few pounds extra to get some of the benefits of the decent non-budget players....ie, allocated seating for one. Who wants a free-for-all stramash to get a seat?!!!

Last edited by imlach; 01 June 2004 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01 June 2004, 12:13 AM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Whats the easyjet hold+personal allowance limits?
Early stages of me+record boxes to a couple of european destinations...
Old 01 June 2004, 01:53 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak
Whats the easyjet hold+personal allowance limits?
Early stages of me+record boxes to a couple of european destinations...
Funnily enough, this type of info is quite easily found on the Easyjet website

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/book/regulations.html#baggage
Old 01 June 2004, 08:00 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

I flew Ryanair to Italy 3 times, France twice and Spain once last year for WSB Bike Racing and holidays. Never had a problem anywhere, and paid 50p plus taxes for 2 of the Italian flights !!!

Dave
Old 01 June 2004, 09:12 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

The best price I've seen is £2.99 for a flight from Edinburgh to Nottingham East Midlands can't be bad.

I used them just over a week ago, a good service, although the hostesses did look a bit low budget The pilot slammed the aircraft down onto the runway leading me to suspect he was ex-military But there was nothing bad with the service in general.
Oh and you don't get annoying Germans clapping when the flight touches down - always a bonus
Old 01 June 2004, 09:29 AM
juan
Scooby Regular

I don't mind just sitting anywhere but my mate likes to go for seats with legroom and he knows a seemingly uncommon thing. The first 30 people to check in get on first in a group of 30. The rest wait. Handy if you can be arsed to get there that early. I can't

Last edited by juan; 01 June 2004 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01 June 2004, 09:48 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imlach
The trouble is, most people expect BA levels of service but want to pay Easyjet prices It doesn't work that way sadly. Since when did it say on the terms & conditions that Easyjet should ply you with food & drink if the flight is delayed? I suspect it doesn't....

They quite fairly offered you a refund or an alternative flight. What more could they do? Magic a plane out of nowhere with spare seats?

We've been brought up to expect BA/existing pre-1990 scheduled airline service (ie, when lots of planes didn't fly 100% full). Sadly, a budget airline wouldn't be "budget" if it didn't attain close to 100% capacity. That's how the business model works.

Hence when something goes wrong, you're less likely to be offered/get an immediate alternative....

....but you all knew that when you booked. It's cheap for a reason . I do accept a broken seat shouldn't be part of the budget experience though

Suffice to say, the existing decent scheduled airlines (BA, Lufthansa, etc) now all offer fantastic deals on some routes, and for me, it was worth paying a few pounds extra to get some of the benefits of the decent non-budget players....ie, allocated seating for one. Who wants a free-for-all stramash to get a seat?!!!
I do appreciate that they're "budget" for a reason - crappy check-in service, no seat allocation, no in-flight meal, inconvenient timetabling etc I was prepared to accept. However, the flight wasn't that cheap - about £130 return to Barcelona (yeah, yeah, I know I could have found cheaper but I didn't know I was going with 6 years' advance notice), and so i would have expected them to either find seats on other operators' flights, or find a replacement plane (flight was cancelled due to the scheduled aircraft being overseas somewhere).
Last time I flew out of Edinburgh, there were 5 Easyjet flights on the board, and all were delayed, a couple by about 5 hours. Since Easyjet's business relies to a large degree on people using them for long-weekend city-breaks, people can't afford to lose 5 hours out of that weekend, or arrive home at 3am when they've got work the next day. I can see a migration back to the quality providers.
Old 01 June 2004, 09:52 AM
juan
Scooby Regular

Took about 10 people out to Venice this year using various easy jet flights and locations. all on time, all between 15 and 35 quid (each way), all booked between 2 and 6 weeks in advance. Can't argue with that myself

Quick Reply: Anyone got any tips about using Easyjet?