Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Transferring a private plate

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2004, 04:30 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Transferring a private plate

A colleague at work has a private plate on his old BMW, this car is well past it's sell by date and I'm off to look at a newer one for him later.

What exactly does he need to get the plate off of the car before he sells it for restoration or scraps it?

Old 20 May 2004, 04:34 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fill in an Application to Retain a Registration mark (can't remember form number) and submit form, V5, mot and £105 (£80 if you have a vehicle to allocate the number to) and you'll get the cars new id in around a week with the log book to follow.
Old 20 May 2004, 04:35 PM
yoza
BANNED

A cross headed screwdriver.
Old 20 May 2004, 04:36 PM
248SPG
Scooby Regular

You have to go down to your local DVLA office and put the Plate on to a retention document. They will then issue you will a new reg number and change and tax discs etc. You then have to wait for the new registration document to arrive.

Mine took about 2 weeks to come through so it can be quite a lengthy process when you want to sell the car.

Looks like I was a bit late with this one

Steve

Last edited by 248SPG; 20 May 2004 at 04:37 PM. Reason: I was a bit late
Old 20 May 2004, 04:37 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza
Very droll....... your in the wrong forum Yoza
Old 20 May 2004, 04:38 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by yoza
PMSL I'd have expected nothing less from you Yoza
Old 20 May 2004, 04:39 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by 248SPG
You have to go down to your local DVLA office and put the Plate on to a retention document. They will then issue you will a new reg number and change and tax discs etc. You then have to wait for the new registration document to arrive.

Mine took about 2 weeks to come through so it can be quite a lengthy process when you want to sell the car.

Looks like I was a bit late with this one

Steve
What if you just want to scrap the car after you have the reg off of it? Surely you don't need a new reg for the old car then
Old 20 May 2004, 04:41 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Its form V778/1

See here
Old 20 May 2004, 04:44 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by talizman
Fill in an Application to Retain a Registration mark (can't remember form number) and submit form, V5, mot and £105 (£80 if you have a vehicle to allocate the number to) and you'll get the cars new id in around a week with the log book to follow.
So it costs an extra £25 if you don't have a car to transfer it to Hopefully he'll have one by the weekend.
Old 20 May 2004, 04:44 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

What if you just want to scrap the car after you have the reg off of it? Surely you don't need a new reg for the old car then
A new number will be allocated regardless of your intentions with the vehicle.
Old 20 May 2004, 04:46 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

So it costs an extra £25 if you don't have a car to transfer it to
Its £80 to transfer the plate from one car to another....

If you have no car to allocate it to, its an extra £25 to put on a certificate of retention. You then have 1 year to allocate before you need to pay another £25 to retain for another year.
Old 20 May 2004, 04:51 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by talizman
Its £80 to transfer the plate from one car to another....

If you have no car to allocate it to, its an extra £25 to put on a certificate of retention. You then have 1 year to allocate before you need to pay another £25 to retain for another year.
Bargain

Thanks
Old 25 November 2004, 09:12 AM
GrahameS
Scooby Regular

Further to this, that i have managed to find via searching.

Does anyone know the best way of doing things if you look at a car with a personal plate, which the owner wishes to retain. But you would like to pay for the car and take it immediately. Is it straight forward enough as putting it on retention and putting them as the 'nominee' once you have received the V5 in your name.

Cheers
Old 25 November 2004, 10:49 AM
Freak
Scooby Regular

p.s
car the plate is coming from needs to be MOT'd
Old 25 November 2004, 10:59 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Grahame - It would be a massive risk to sell a car with a private plate that the previous owner wishes to retain, as once the vehicle is sold technically the reg isn't his/hers any longer.

However I've bought a vehicle off a good friend who wanted to keep the reg and I had a plate to go on the car anyway.

He decided to put it on retention after the deal.

I just made sure he was the nominee allowing him the right to the plate whenever he wished. Remember, the paperwork will come to you until he/she assigns it to another vehicle. (6 years later it's still on retention!).

So yes it is that simple, only I personally would never let a car go with a plate on.
Old 25 November 2004, 11:37 AM
GrahameS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Grahame - It would be a massive risk to sell a car with a private plate that the previous owner wishes to retain, as once the vehicle is sold technically the reg isn't his/hers any longer.

However I've bought a vehicle off a good friend who wanted to keep the reg and I had a plate to go on the car anyway.

He decided to put it on retention after the deal.

I just made sure he was the nominee allowing him the right to the plate whenever he wished. Remember, the paperwork will come to you until he/she assigns it to another vehicle. (6 years later it's still on retention!).

So yes it is that simple, only I personally would never let a car go with a plate on.
I would potentially be the buyer, and would have no interest in retaining the plate. How about if you look at it in the way that he has bought the plate back off me for £0 so i am essentially selling it to him, how would that work then, as it would all be back in his name then and then i wouldnt get the paperwork?
Old 25 November 2004, 04:25 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by GrahameS
I would potentially be the buyer, and would have no interest in retaining the plate. How about if you look at it in the way that he has bought the plate back off me for £0 so i am essentially selling it to him, how would that work then, as it would all be back in his name then and then i wouldnt get the paperwork?
Grahame- The car you would be buying would be bought and then registered in your name with that reg number, technically making the ownership of the reg, yours. If the person selling the car is willing to trust you then it's their risk.

You would then apply for it's retention putting the previous owner as nominee. The car would be assigned a new number (or your cherished mark if you have one, and so wish).

The retention certificate could be filled in by you as Grantee, allowing the nominee transferring rights and then you just immediately give the retention certificate back to the previous owner to do with what they wish, BUT *until* he/she assigns it to a car, the paperwork will always come to you every 12 months.