London Short Listed To Host Olympics

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2004, 10:17 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post London Short Listed To Host Olympics

Oh no!!! What a nightmare...

We're never going to hear the end of this now, and for the next year (until they lose out to Paris or Madrid).

The whole exercise is a complete waste of money IMO. All those corporate types and government ministers, troughing from the same 'olympic junkett' swill pit. While strutting around proclaiming their 'world class' credentials. Surely nobody really thinks there's any merit in this?

UB
Old 18 May 2004, 10:32 PM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

They should have it in Greece in 2012. The infrastructure might be ready by then.
Old 18 May 2004, 10:35 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Red face

They made a right ar$e up with the dome.

They must of thought let's really take the pi$$ now and really waste some money!!!
Old 18 May 2004, 10:50 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

lol
'Ladies and gentlemn- we regret to announce the mens 100 metres finals have been cancelled. This is due to signal failure at Edgware road-and all the competitors are on the train."

What a crock of sh*t
Old 18 May 2004, 10:59 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Dont hold your breath

Ny or paris.......... just a tb publicity stunt!!!!

mart
Old 18 May 2004, 11:06 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

You never learn do you? This is the type of denigrating and belittling attitude that makes us a laughing stock.

Negative, self centered patronising crap. Why on earth do you have to self detruct all the time?

Where's your sense of worth? Where's your self esteem? Erroded by the need to trash every positive move, every bit of hope or good news.

Unfortunately, you're not alone. There will be plenty posting here shooting me down for being so gullible and naive, especially as your all 'realists'. Pessimists more like.

Show some guts, pride & integrity in this country and what we can do, rather than taking the first cheap shot at knocking people who actually want to do something positive...

Of course we've no hope.. especially with your backing.
Old 18 May 2004, 11:23 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

LOL You sound just like one of the afore mentioned politically correct ministers.

I'm sure they will use exactly that arguement to try to justify their arrogance.

UB

Trending Topics

Old 18 May 2004, 11:34 PM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

LOL. Last time we let them show us what they could do (with our money, remember) they spent it on a billion Pound tent.
Old 19 May 2004, 04:19 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

I agree with AlanC, there's no fundamental reason why the UK could not host the Olympics, all it would take is a "can do" attitude.

2012 is a long way away, any political party could be in power by then so this isn't primarily motivated by politics.

They have learned big lessons from the dome. They have no intention for there to be repeat of that fiasco. The dome was a facility looking for a reason. At least with the Olympics it's pretty bloody easy to work out what you need, it's the doing it which is critical. I listened to an programme on Radio 5 about it. They have carefully gone into all the costings and the budget will include a significant contingency so that no-one would have to go back to the govt for extra cash if there are any cost overruns. I'd have thought Londoners in particular would have welcomed the chance for billions of pounds investment in infrastructure, especially transportation.
Old 19 May 2004, 05:15 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

I agree with you too, Alan C. In this nation we set ourselves up for a fall before we even get a chance to prove ourselves. While the American, French and media and public from the other contenders talk themselves up and demonstrate their strengths, we'll be slagging ourselve off for the next year and talk the IOC out of it ourselves.

I reckon it would be blinding for the nation as a whole, and as Brit in Japan says London (and wherever else work is done) will be left with some much, much needed investment having been carried out.

I also understand that it was a huge money spinner for Sydney (and all/most hosts I imagine) so although it would be very expensive a load of trade and money would come in before, during and after the event.
Old 19 May 2004, 06:29 AM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Brit_in_Japan
I
They have learned big lessons from the dome. They have no intention for there to be repeat of that fiasco. .

Urmm sorry havent learnt a thing........I believe the new Wembley Stadium has been a prize **** up !!
Old 19 May 2004, 08:05 AM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

If we can't even build a national stadium then what chance an olympic village with infrastructure to cope.

A complete folly and waste of time IMO based on previous experience of the Dome and Wembley Stadium.
Old 19 May 2004, 12:59 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Alan c...

if gov uk was that serious about holding the olympics they would have driven this harder than the euro !!!!

im extremley patriotic & pround of my country, but due to our pm,s need to

spin & belittle the country it only comes accrossas a cynical publicity stunt...

again major news is used to delflect the heat from him or his gov....

if the Dome was such a success why was it only ever sanctioned to open for a year!!!!

I doubt whether we could hold the games given that our transport infrastructure is so poor..... we cant even rebuild a national stadium without a major enquiry !!!

if you look back at the history of the games... the last time we held it we had a transport system that could cope....

these days.....

???

Mart
Old 19 May 2004, 01:00 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

I agree that, in some cases, we have a bunch wet, faceless beurocrats that couldn't hold a pi55 up in brewery.. But it doesn't mean we have to continually slag ourselves off...

The only people we damage are ourselves.. whilst the French and most other countries talk themselves up, pat them selves on the back and generally crack on with getting the job in hand done..

IMO.. MOST (not all) comes down to the fact that we are scared of shouting how good this country is and can be when we put our minds to it.

Scared that the PC brigade will sue our *****..

The dome and (possibly) Wembley are not great success stories.. but what about balance here? What about highlighting any French screw ups.. they aren't perfect.. New Yorks' twin towers re-construction continues to drag on with loads of in fighting...

The country needs a lift right now.. how about getting behind it rather than slagging it off
Old 19 May 2004, 01:11 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

we are scared of shouting how good this country is and can be when we put our minds to it.
And an example of that would be.......?
Old 19 May 2004, 01:12 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Why would anyone want to hold an Olympic event in London? It's an overpriced behemoth of a city that doesn't even have any kind of real central core to it. As a venue it lacks in charisma as well as having one of the worst, overcrowded transport infrastructrures of any of the 'leading' Euro cities I've been to.

Paris is a far better choice, although it is of course gridlocked most of the time and full of stinking Frenchmen.

How about Amsterdam as Olympic city? The premier official chem-Olympics perhaps?

Last edited by NACRO; 19 May 2004 at 01:16 PM.
Old 19 May 2004, 01:13 PM
Mmmmm
Scooby Regular

It's just a waste of time and money, given 99% of the uk population won't get chance of any tickets and will be watching it on the telly , how cares where it's held.

Actually I'd rather it was held abroad to minimise transport and local uk business disruption.
Old 19 May 2004, 03:49 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
And an example of that would be.......?
Historically this country has a lot to be proud of. Take a look at the accomplishments of British scientists, engineers, mathematicians and physicists through the ages, from Newton onwards. Steam engines, jet turbines, hovercraft, computers, VSTOL aircraft, radio, television, telephone, penicillin, the internet, to name but a fraction.

This country led the industrial revolution and maybe no other country can say they have influenced the world today more than Britain. Recent accomplishments are thinner on the ground, but let's not do ourselves down.

The commonwealth games in Manchester were regarded as a success, so we can host major sporting events.

The Olympics are obviously much bigger again, but FFS, if Greece can hold an Olympic Games surely we can too !
Old 19 May 2004, 08:51 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

UB... Just to keep this very narrow as we are on a car orientated BB..

Never heard of Prodrive, Ilmor, Cosworth, reynard?

What about most of the F1 Grid being engineered by Brits or in Britain..
What about US cart, champ and Indy car enginnering?

What about Michaels F1 Engineer Chris Dyer or the technical manager Nige Stepney

Who did Mercedes get to build the SLR?

Just a very small number. Do I need to go on?
Old 20 May 2004, 01:41 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Again I agree with Alan and Brit in Japan.

Just because the politicians are liars, cheats etc... (BTW, aren't they in every country....?) why does that mean that we, as the public, have to give up before we have even started? And again, do you honestly beleive that it would be impossible to find examples of mistakes/errors etc in the USA, France, Spain etc...?!!

This nation has had so many remarkable achievements over time and are certainly capable of pulling something like the olympics off, if given half a chance. We currently have some of the best engineers and people in related industries, so stop talking us down.

We're scared of showing anything resembling patriotism or celebrating our achievements nowdays, due to the cowardly, negative, and unambitious attitude many obviously have - and of course the PC brigade. Whereas other nations happily fly the flag, celebrate their countries successes and strive to better themselves.

Of course it won't be easy to host the Olympics, but whats wrong with giving it a go FFS? Why don't you consider the positives, beacause there are many....
Old 20 May 2004, 07:23 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

Just what we in Scotland [remember that place north of watford?] need, more billions of tax payers money spent in a little part of the SE of England Millenium tent? £760 million to use for a year and then sell for £1million, brilliant value for money! Wembley national stadium at a bargain price of £21million!, I dont think so! how come the Millenium stadium in Cardiff cost £1million? Almost as big a waste of money as the Scottish Parliament!! Why do government contracts never come in on budget, guarantee the final cost of wembley will exceed £30 million,
Gary
Old 20 May 2004, 07:35 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Scottish parliament m8 exac, shhhh...
Old 20 May 2004, 07:48 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaf01uk
Just what we in Scotland [remember that place north of watford?] need, more billions of tax payers money spent in a little part of the SE of England Millenium tent? £760 million to use for a year and then sell for £1million, brilliant value for money! Wembley national stadium at a bargain price of £21million!, I dont think so! how come the Millenium stadium in Cardiff cost £1million? Almost as big a waste of money as the Scottish Parliament!! Why do government contracts never come in on budget, guarantee the final cost of wembley will exceed £30 million,
Gary
Well, that little part of South East England is the engine room of the country and generates over a third of the national GDP and also has the infrastructure to cope with such a big project - none of which Scotland can offer. London alone accounts for nearly double the GDP contribution of Scotland so on that basis I'd say it's perfectly fair to consider London as the UK's bid for the Olympics.

Last edited by Faire D'Income; 20 May 2004 at 07:49 PM. Reason: crap speeling
Old 20 May 2004, 07:59 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Yeah, bit does London have supreme coolness like our mountains, whiskey an free range haggis

psst, dont mention the skirts or irn bru
Old 20 May 2004, 08:01 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

I thought we were a United Kingdom? so what is the problem with pointing out the lack of investment in anywhere other than the south of England? I understand that the majority of the population is there, I made no reference to the olympics, I was referring to all the other high tax projects that the Scots who contribute the same for and have no opportunity to use or visit,
Old 20 May 2004, 08:06 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

**** the olymics tbo, what about the Kyle games m8

I think the fact is that we are subsidised tax wise doesnt help jaf
Old 20 May 2004, 09:46 PM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

I thought we were a United Kingdom? so what is the problem with pointing out the lack of investment in anywhere other than the south of England? I understand that the majority of the population is there, I made no reference to the olympics, I was referring to all the other high tax projects that the Scots who contribute the same for and have no opportunity to use or visit,
Huh? England runs Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland at a loss. England spends way, way more taxpayers money in those 3 parts of the Kingdom than they generate. Way more. I wish the Scotch and Welsh and Irish would hurry up and leave the union like they always claim they want to. It would do wonders for the English economy.
Old 21 May 2004, 08:27 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

how come the Millenium stadium in Cardiff cost £1million?
Gary
£1million. Where did you get that from?

Chip.
Old 21 May 2004, 09:21 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

I wish the Scotch and Welsh and Irish would hurry up and leave the union like they always claim they want to. It would do wonders for the English economy.
Thing is Scotland never really wanted to be part of the union in the first place, look to your history lessons to see why we are. England as a nation is isolated enough in Europe, and the rest of the world, without further distancing yourself from your immediate neighbours m8.

And if you do think you 'can' go it alone, then I say go for it m8, I'm sure your fine nation of European migrants and real 'engerlanders' will have a great time fighting over whats left.

Quick Reply: London Short Listed To Host Olympics