Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

High Street banks - rip off thieving scum

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2004, 03:13 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agree with you totally.
Old 18 May 2004, 03:22 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

If you get bad customer service, complain to the manager. If the manager is not good, complain to head office.

I unfortunately have to do this all the time. The manager at NatWest in Crowborough was incredibly rude one day. I then mentioned I was a preferred customer, phoned up my "personal banker" whilst I was still in the branch and got him to shout at the manager and then I made a complaint in writing. A grovelling letter from the manager and NatWest head office followed.

You just HAVE to do these things, standards are slipping so much these days.

Steve.
Old 18 May 2004, 03:23 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Did you see the programme about it last week? They were interviewing the manager of a Swedish bank who was amazed our banks were so crap. They process all trasactions within 8 working hours. When asked what happens if they fail to do so his answer was:

"If that happened we would compensate the customer, but it never has happened to my knowledge"

Old 18 May 2004, 03:27 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

couldnt beleive when I bought my scoob I went to get a bankers draft (on the understanding its as good as money and it'll clear instantly as such

anyways goes to pick up the bankers draft £15 charge, no problem, go to pick up the car hand the bankers draft over and he'd liket o go cash it, yeah no worries as far as Im concerned so we walk to his bank.

asks to get it cleared, manager walks over and says to him, cant have it cleared for 2 days and it'll cost him £10 WTF!!!! I dont understand it, might aswell just write cheques out.
Old 18 May 2004, 03:29 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

It's how banks make their money.

Like shops with their mark-ups.

Everyone knows the rules about cheque clearing, surely..? No need for her attitude though, granted.
Old 18 May 2004, 03:37 PM
SD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
5 days for a bankers draught to clear? They are taking the p!ss, its cash FFS Oh and then for me to have one writen out its £10

They are nothing less than thieving ******* cvnts Went off on one in the bank about it but was wasting my breath

And yesterday when I was paying in the bankers draught I had the rudest cashier ever - snooty ******* cow who got a right mouthful back for talking down to me and she looked shocked - what did she expect, me to take her bad attitude? Told her in a loud voice in front of everyone it was time she went and practised her customer service skills before dealing with anyone else.

Time the banks got a kick up the ar$e big time by the FSA and brought into line as currently they are running amok and ripping people off left right and centre.

Customer service does not exist in this country and it really gets my back up - as increasing numbers of rude staff are finding out to their cost when they p!ss me off

/RANT over

Vote with your feet, and tell them you'll take your overdraft elsewhere. Boxst hit the nail on the head. They forget that it's YOUR money they have in account, not the other way around. The next time you get bad service ask about the quickest way to close the account and get the money into another bank and see how quickly their attitude changes.

Simon.
Old 18 May 2004, 03:41 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by boxst
I then mentioned I was a preferred customer, phoned up my "personal banker" whilst I was still in the branch and got him to shout at the manager
Give that man a medal
Old 18 May 2004, 03:42 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

No Tel, they arn't cheques, thats the whole point of having them otherwise they wouldn't exist and everyone would just write out a conventional cheque. They are guaranteed cash and there is no excuse to charge for them or to have a 5 day clearing period. Its called ripping off customers

Apologies, didn't read it thoroughly.
Old 18 May 2004, 03:45 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

a draft is cash but its never designed to clear quick- tahts the point and why its better than a personal cheque where it could bounce or be stopped. there is no reason why it will clear any quicker though.

system works fine if you use it right- anyone asking for a draft to be cleared staright away is having a laugh, if they want cash they should have asked for it. (or arranged a TT transfer and paid for it like any decent service)

T
Old 18 May 2004, 03:46 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

It's how banks make their money.

Like shops with their mark-ups.

Everyone knows the rules about cheque clearing, surely..? No need for her attitude though, granted.
Just because that is they way it is doesn't mean its justifiable. As I said above, banks in Sweden manage to turn things around much quicker without going bankrupt!
Old 18 May 2004, 04:03 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
Just because that is they way it is doesn't mean its justifiable. As I said above, banks in Sweden manage to turn things around much quicker without going bankrupt!

Till one does though, the rest won't. Wonderful things, cartels, unfortunately.
Old 18 May 2004, 04:12 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

...but looking on the bright side, at least you don't have to deal with banks in Japan !

Horrendously bureacratic, have to pay to use ATMs (cash machines), close at 3:30pm...

And this week they refuse to give me a credit card, even though I've got a job here, all the correct paperwork, work permit etc, salary paid directly into bank account and has been for 8 months, never overdrawn.... and the worst thing is they will not tell me why I've been refused !!???

Oh they're very polite, but hopeless all the same.

The Japanese banking system was completely closed to competition from outside for many years and they are nowhere near giving a modern standard of service. Give me a British high street bank anytime !!!
Old 18 May 2004, 04:13 PM
Big C
Scooby Regular

There was a BBc prog on about this last week IIRC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bob/banks/

How to make banks hate you (vote with your feet)
http://www.fool.co.uk/news/foolseyev...fev040513c.htm

I couldn't agree more, I hate the lot of them, as well as Estate agents.

C
Old 18 May 2004, 04:20 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Time the banks got a kick up the ar$e big time by the FSA and brought into line as currently they are running amok and ripping people off left right and centre.
Never happen mate. FSA too busy putting thumb screws on the IFA sector and appearing to favour the banks.

I work for an IFA practice and am qualified although not currently working as an IFA. Although we don't handle things like current accounts etc, if you call us we know what we are talking about and 99.9% have the customers needs at heart and not "Commission hunting" as some may suggest.

Try talking to someone on the phone at any bank. Just been on the phone to a bank now trying to get generic info for a client. Obviously not in this country, obviously asking more technical question than usual (having only one number to call) and being given an answer that was completely wrong and would have cost a client alot of money had they acted on the bank instruction.

Say said client complained that wrong information was given, what chance of recovering the loss would they have?
Old 18 May 2004, 09:56 PM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

5 days for a bankers draught to clear? They are taking the p!ss, its cash FFS Oh and then for me to have one writen out its £10
So long as it's a sizeable sum, baulk at the fee and ask for your money in cash instead. They will be unwilling to deplete the branch reserve and will wave the fee. It's never failed for me.
Old 18 May 2004, 10:03 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Bravo, and if the draft is fraudulent? As has been mentioned if you want cash, use cash.

Dave
Old 18 May 2004, 10:03 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't they have restrictions on handling such sums though? "We need 24 hours notice for more than X thousand"?
Old 18 May 2004, 10:09 PM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

Yes, that's what they always say. It's complete BS as far as I'm concerned. If I want my money back right now they can damn well give it to me. A draft is fine if they can't manage the cash.

IMO banks forget whose money it is.

Word of advise - don't EVER try to use Barclays remotely. I'm 5,500 miles away from the nearest branch and the number of times they've said "we need you to bring the original into a branch. No, a fax isn't acceptable..."

Last edited by gareth123; 18 May 2004 at 10:12 PM.
Old 18 May 2004, 11:02 PM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

I'm fairly sure that you can pay extra to get a draft verified as kosher while you wait. I assume they just call up the issuing bank. So it CAN be done, they just want you to pay extra for it (of course).

Bollocks to them.