Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

People with convertibles

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2004, 12:21 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question People with convertibles

Somewhat in the mode of Victor Meldrew I know, but why on earth to so many people who've spent good money on convertibles still insist on keeping the roof up when the weather's so fantastic?
I can't list the huge number of cars I've seen this week doing this, but they're mainly MX5s and Z3s, and (not wishing to sound sexist) they're mainly women drivers. Is it because they don't know how to get the roof off?
Old 18 May 2004, 12:24 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

it's cos they've just had their hair done.
Old 18 May 2004, 12:25 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

i know. when ever its not raining the hoods down on the spitfire. nancy boys.
Old 18 May 2004, 12:25 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Nope, they are mainly hairdressers, who are loathed to remove said roof in case it destroys this months latest creation.
Old 18 May 2004, 12:27 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

there are pros and cons to the roof down...its like saying why did you get a scoob that only does one decent thing (go quick) and not spend all day driving round twisty wet roads.
Old 18 May 2004, 12:30 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

I've got targas on my Zed and always remember the time I took them off at the first glimpse of sunny weather and managed to drive about half a mile before the heavens opened!

Quick dash to the boot and replace the things.
Old 18 May 2004, 12:31 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

If travelling to work / meeting then I can see their point, but theres no excuse for not going top down on the way home

Trending Topics

Old 18 May 2004, 12:31 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Unless it's broken, I can't see any point to having the roof up in weather like we've got at the moment. Okay, so there are some cars that are convertibles as standard, without a hard-top version, but come on... lovely sunny, warm weather, and you have a drop top... get it down!
Old 18 May 2004, 12:48 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

When I last had a convertible, the roof was down ALL the time unless a HUGE downpour. People think you're nuts having it down in the winter, but my response always was "Motorcyclists have it worse, and they don't have the benefit of a heater being able to blast hot air to their feet & hands".

In fact, as a REAL convertible user, I'd go as far to say that the roof was up more in the summer due to me not being a sun-worshipper, and didn't want to get sunburnt!!!

I much preferred a blast with roof down in the winter months with gloves & woolly hat on to a blast in the summer where it got quite hot in the cabin

...but then, I'm not normal
Old 18 May 2004, 12:51 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

convertibles in the sun are no good- you just get hot, sweaty and burnt. i used mine in the eve but roof up in the day.
Old 18 May 2004, 01:15 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

When I had my S2000, the hood was nearly always down. However, on really hot days, many put the hood up and turn on the air con and prevent sunburn too.

What's as surprising is convertibles still with their hard-tops on.

Anyway, like what Tiggs says, no worse than having a scoob and driving on clear, dry straight roads It's not what you DO, it's what you CAN do.
Old 18 May 2004, 01:45 PM
kend
Scooby Regular

Wife drives Peugeot 206CC

Roof up at the moment, in blazing sunshine.

Because it's jammed, like all the other 206s
Old 18 May 2004, 02:09 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Wife has a Z4. It's been in the garage yesterday and today and we've been abroad for last weekend during our mini summer so little chance of using it at present which is frustrating.

The lid has been down more often than not due to a fantastic heating system and heated seats which toast your **** to a nice medium rare - great when it's not too warm.

However, if it is very warm we do put the lid up sometimes as you can burn quite severely for some reason despite putting sun cream on. I can only think it's something to do with the sun hitting your skin from an unusual angle.

It does make you wonder why people buy lid droppers given their reluctance to use them. What also surprises me is that the UK is the largest market in Europe for drop tops, given our weather.
Old 18 May 2004, 02:14 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Well, if I was taking the 996 to the south of France, I doubt I would have the roof down all of the way there. I'd be rather pink and weather beaten even before getting to the beach.

It's a bit like driving in the scoob, it's either windows down with warm air blowing in, which can get a bit tiring, or windows up and air-con on to cool down.
Old 18 May 2004, 02:22 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Faire D'Income
What also surprises me is that the UK is the largest market in Europe for drop tops, given our weather.
I think you've answered your own (and others) questions. I've been thinking about a convertible here in Lisbon, but I know I wouldn't use it for the summer as it's simply too hot!

OTOH, there are many others that do use them, and the southern Europeans aren't so cursed with fair skin, so perhaps the question still remains...

When I had the Dutton I'd have plenty of fun driving with the roof up but the doors off. You get the shade, but also the buffeting and the sensation of speed as the road is close enough to touch.
Old 18 May 2004, 02:35 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
I think you've answered your own (and others) questions. I've been thinking about a convertible here in Lisbon, but I know I wouldn't use it for the summer as it's simply too hot!

OTOH, there are many others that do use them, and the southern Europeans aren't so cursed with fair skin, so perhaps the question still remains...

When I had the Dutton I'd have plenty of fun driving with the roof up but the doors off. You get the shade, but also the buffeting and the sensation of speed as the road is close enough to touch.
I take your point but we have the lid down in Spain most of the time, only closing it during the really hot part of the day but given the amount of rain we have in the UK you wouldn't have thought they be quite so popular. No doubt someone will correct me but as a nation we seem to be more into the car culture so perhaps that's why. I base that opinion on personal observations driving through France and Spain where it seems to be a rarity to see a decent motor, whereas in the UK Beemers, Mercs, Jags (you name it)and an assortment of sports cars are commonplace.
Old 18 May 2004, 04:41 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

If you are male with an open top car, then you are officially gay.

If you are female with an open top car, then you are officially a stylist.

Now let that be an end to the matter...
Old 18 May 2004, 09:42 PM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
You must be a pansy then We've used our MR2 Spyder out in the Mojave desert, which I'm sure is plenty hotter than Portugal. Bit of sunscreen, a hat and AC on full whack - no problem.
Old 19 May 2004, 07:42 AM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Wink

If you are male with an open top car, then you are officially gay.

If you are female with an open top car, then you are officially a stylist.
Interesting point of view. Maybe you should change your BBS name to Sweepingstatementgeezer

Cheers
Kav
Old 19 May 2004, 09:17 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Faire D'Income
I take your point but we have the lid down in Spain most of the time, only closing it during the really hot part of the day but given the amount of rain we have in the UK you wouldn't have thought they be quite so popular. No doubt someone will correct me but as a nation we seem to be more into the car culture so perhaps that's why. I base that opinion on personal observations driving through France and Spain where it seems to be a rarity to see a decent motor, whereas in the UK Beemers, Mercs, Jags (you name it)and an assortment of sports cars are commonplace.
I think the thing is, the sunshine isnt so much of a novelty for them as its where they live. So when they get a car they would rather have nice cool A/C on etc....It might be OK to have the roof down on a rag top if you are there for 10 days/2 weeks, but if you lived there you probably just wouldnt use it to the same extent. They don't have the 'must be exposed to every ray of sunshine this usually grey country throws at me' syndrome, which unfortunately we do as our summers last about 20 minutes usually.

Depends what part of France/Spain you go to re: the type of cars I guess. Saw some lovely motors in Paris last year and my folks have a place down near Marbella and its dripping with exotica there.
Old 19 May 2004, 09:23 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

never really "got" open top motoring in any case. i had a tvr for a while, it was great for the odd weekend blast around the countryside (drive around yorkshire dales was fantastic). however, as every day transport it doesn't really make much sense. it's either too hot or too cold or too wet. it's crap on the motorways, and a bit of a hazard around town. ideal for your 3 garage, five car family, i suppose.

Old 19 May 2004, 09:25 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

...pansy
Old 19 May 2004, 09:29 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

i mean, how are you supposed to hear your village people CD with all that wind noise?

or should that be "village people MP3"?
Old 19 May 2004, 10:58 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

pmsl @ ProperCharlie.
Old 19 May 2004, 12:46 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

If you have the roof down, you have enough space to do the hands-in-the-air movements as well! "WHYYYY AM-I GAY? (danana nana nana), WHYYYY AM-I GAY-YAY..."

Ah, great stuff