Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Origin B2 problem

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2004, 09:09 PM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Origin B2 problem

I bought an Origin B2 today and before sticking everything down I just wanted to make sure everything works - er, it doesn't.

After sitting in various places for almost an hour moving the antenna around it still wouldn't see any satellites, never mind lock on to them!!!

So then I looked at the connection between the unit and cradle and I noticed that although it all seems to click into place, you can actually squeeze then together a further fraction of a millimetre. Sure enough when I switched it on again, holding them together, satellites were found almost immediately, but as soon as I relaxed my grip the 2 parts moved apart by a fraction and all satellites were lost. I'm sure there will be no problem getting it replaced but was wondering if anyone else had come across this.

Also, is the silver serial number thing on the bottom of the antenna designed to be peeled off. I also notice it's magnetic - any reason for that?

Cheers

Ian
Old 15 May 2004, 10:07 PM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

Think i found the problem.

The case of the main unit is in 2 halves and at the bottom near the connector the 2 halves arent joined properly and a bit of the plastic case isn't flush meaning it won't sit flush in the cradle.

Ian
Old 15 May 2004, 10:09 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

mine didn't find the sat's till i did my FIRST up load of the info from the PC/Internet to the unit.
after that.. it takes about.. upto 20mins to pin point you for the first time.

the gps arrial.. i've used the double sided velco stuff to hold it in place then.. if i need to move it.. i can peel it off.
the VERY sticky doube sided 'red' coloured tape.. is the best double sided tape i've ever used.. it stickes brill to car dash.. after you clean it with the wipe provided!!

my fitting see here....
http://www.smart-corner.fotopic.net/c162749.html

hardest thing i had was find 3' space between the gps and the unit... Smarts don't have 3' space anywhere! lol
Old 16 May 2004, 10:14 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Up_North
Think i found the problem.

The case of the main unit is in 2 halves and at the bottom near the connector the 2 halves arent joined properly and a bit of the plastic case isn't flush meaning it won't sit flush in the cradle.
Mine was exactly the same as this when it was brand new, zero or intermittant satellite lock as it wasn't seating correctly. Was fine after i squeezed the 2 halfs a bit and they clicked together.

Origin need to look at their quality control methinks.....

Iwan