Number Plate Transfer

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2004, 11:24 AM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Number Plate Transfer

Hi folks,
Not sure if anyone here can help, but thought I'd give it a go. My old man has a 1959 motorcycle registered in his name, with all documentation etc, but it has no MOT as it is used as a showpiece only, and does not get used on the road. He wants to transfer the reg No to one of his cars, but from what I can find on the DVLA site, the car/bike needs to have a current MOT etc that you re transferring from, and then that would be given a replacement number. He does not really need the bike to be re-registered under another number as it's not used on the road. He is sure he can do it somehow, as many reg No companies in old bike mags etc, advertise to buy your old bike/car in any condition MOT or no MOT just for them to get the reg No. I told him just to ring the DVLA but he cant seem to sort it out.
Many thanks for any input.

Chris.
Old 08 May 2004, 11:27 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

The bike will need an mot.
Old 08 May 2004, 02:21 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Will need an MOT, but as its so old, and pre 1971 ( from vague memory) the applicable MOT regulations are different, so might not be hard to pass.

As far as im aware, there is no clause allowing cars of that age with no MOT to transfer a plate-same rules for all methinks.

never done it myself but find a 'friendly' MOT bloke, get an MOT written up purely to take to the DVLA office to get the plate taken off, then destroy the MOT certificate....
Old 08 May 2004, 06:17 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak
Will need an MOT, but as its so old, and pre 1971 ( from vague memory) the applicable MOT regulations are different, so might not be hard to pass.

As far as im aware, there is no clause allowing cars of that age with no MOT to transfer a plate-same rules for all methinks.

never done it myself but find a 'friendly' MOT bloke, get an MOT written up purely to take to the DVLA office to get the plate taken off, then destroy the MOT certificate....

Ta very much, we know a freindly MOT man, so that should'nt be too much of a problem going that route.

Chris.
Old 08 May 2004, 06:43 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They won't do it unless you get an MOT, just been transferring numbers myself. They are very helpful though.

Les