Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Origin B2 problems...

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2004, 08:50 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Origin B2 problems...

Not major ones but a couple of annoying gripes.

1. I can't get it to stick to the dashboard! It's mounted in the same place as this one which Nevatas keeps posting

http://www.nevetas.co.uk/albums/alb...01526.sized.jpg

I've tried alcohol wipes, and meths so far. Got the plastic looking matt and non-shiney now but the pads still wont stick. Have also tried using the super strong mirror fixing pads from Halfrauds but they didn't work for long either.

Any suggestions, i'm contemplating putting a self tapper through the bracket if all else fails!

2. Could be related to (1.) but i was driving round Cheltenham yesterday, it was stuck on ok at that point. Every few minutes it'd beep to tell me there was no satellite lock, then after 10-15 seconds it'd get it back again for a while. This would repeat every few minutes and was driving me crazy until i removed it frm the cradle and put it in the glove box. I don't think it was loose, and my suspension isn't 'that' hard and rattly (standard).

I'd be surprised if it was poor coverage, my old Road Angel and my current Magellan 315 never did this in built up areas.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Iwan
Old 02 May 2004, 09:54 AM
RichieD
Scooby Regular

You should be aware of the siteing of the GPS antenna..... the manual states a minimum of 3 feet between B2 and antenna... this could be causing your alternating sat lock issue.

I gave up with trying to stick the unit down (same problem as you!)... and in the end butchered a 3.5" floppy disk (removed insides and metal shutter), cut the plastic so that it formed a T shape, then glued the B2 base to the top of the T. Then opened the cup holder and inserted the floppy disk (floppy disk being horizontal and thin end of T towards front of car) and B2 holder, closed the cup holder (wont fully close... remains open by the depth of the B2 unit) and voila!

I'll try and get a piccie and post it here....
Old 02 May 2004, 10:54 AM
jaycee
Scooby Regular

Iwan, PM me your number and I'll call you later.

Jason
Old 02 May 2004, 11:32 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies guys.

I think i've solved both problems, i've got some fresh mirror adhesive pads to stick it down with, and given it another clean with some meths.

Regarding the lost satellite lock. The plastic case of the main B2 unit wasn't completely snapped together, on the bottom near the GPS antenna side of the connector, the 2 halves were about 1mm out of alignment. I think it was causing the antenna side of the connector to not quite seat correctly. I gave the case a squeeze and it clicked together, the 2 halfs are now completely flush and line up ok. It seems to be ok now, although i'm leaving it for a while for the adhesive pads to stick properly before i go for a drive.

Cheers all. Thanks Jaycee but don't worry about calling, should be ok now.

Ta,

Iwan