Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What sort of sicko does this?

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2004, 09:25 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 39-year-old woman has been arrested and sectioned under the Mental Health Act
There is the answer to 'how' can it happen. Its a tragedy and no excuse but when the marbles are gone, they are gone!
Old 23 April 2004, 09:34 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

it's fairly obvious that no right minded person would do that to a baby, or to any living thing for that matter. it seems like this may be another example of "care" in the community gone horribly wrong.
Old 23 April 2004, 09:40 AM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

That is beyond words,

I've felt for a long time that people who want to have children ,should have to go through the same rigourous (sp?) testing as people who want to adopt a child.

Most people who want to adopt are probably more likely to bring a child up in a loving, safe home as its a conscious ,thought out , and very long proccess, where as paternal parents are, to be honest , not always aware of the situation they will be in after having a child.

But I suppose this would just bring on the PC & human rights brigades

someone should do to her what she did to that baby
And that would just makes you as bad, if not worse than her

Phil
Old 23 April 2004, 09:51 AM
cheeseboy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Many people go off the deep end when they have children - crying babies can drive a once happy mother to murder, or grevous bodily harm of a child. It is sad, and hard to appreciate until you yourself are in their shoes...

(sorry all).

Last edited by cheeseboy; 23 April 2004 at 10:09 AM.
Old 23 April 2004, 09:51 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Saying she lost her marbles is not the answer i'm afraid
It does I'm afraid. I agree 100% with your 2nd post on this subject regarding the failing country/system, etc and that a baby should never have been exposed to that situation but the fact remains that the reason the baby was subjected to what it was is because the woman was a total nutcase. Yes there is a sequence of events prior to that which created the 'problem' but the final trigger was a nutcase women doing a terrible thing I'm not in ANYWAY making excuses I'm just pointing out how such a terrible thing can happen.
Old 23 April 2004, 09:52 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Cheeseboy, I'm not offended but others probably will be, I'd edit if I was you
Old 23 April 2004, 09:55 AM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

It wasnt aimed directly at you, just a generisation. I'm sure your a very good mum

Its the point that wether people have kids "by accident" or ,as you say, see it as a meal ticket .Its so easy to do with no regulation. I think we already have enough regulations in this country without getting too tough on parenting, its bad enough already with kids taking parents to court over smacking etc. But for genuine caring people who cant have a family through no fault of thier own it seems its a very lengthy proccess.

BTW I'm in non of the above catagorys

Phil
Old 23 April 2004, 10:28 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

If anything the services should be largely to blame as if she had a history of poor mental health she should have been monitored more closely and if it was due to a case of severe post natal depression the midwife involved in assessing the woman should have picked up that something was amiss.

I don't see how someone commiting such a dreadful act can be assumed to be sane and not in need of supervision. Sadly it is the way of things in this day and age that not enough is done and what is done tends to be done without care. The young, the elderly and the sick are very suseptible to abuse.
Old 23 April 2004, 10:51 AM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...067566,00.html

Having just read this I feel physically sick What is it with the human mind that can allow someone to even comprehend doing such a thing let alone actually going through with it?

She shouldn't be sectioned, she should be wiped off the face of the planet for doing this - its murder after subjecting the baby to hideous torture I just can not understand how stuff like this can happen, its just sickening beyond belief
Yeah but it wasn't exactly cold-blooded murder was it if she's been sectioned Its a terrible tradgedy but what is tragic also is that she has to live with that now and if she was to ever recover from her illness she'll know what she's done. I don't think she should be forgiven but theres a lot more going on than killing a baby in that story.
Old 23 April 2004, 10:56 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

W69 - absolutely right. in her mind she could have been doing something entirely innocent - like the old lady who warmed up her dog in the microwave.
Old 23 April 2004, 11:34 AM
Grottbags the witch
Scooby Newbie

I work with people with mental health problems, have done for over 12 years, and because it's my parents business I've known people with problems all my life.

Some people do not exhibit any outward signs of poor mental health. It's not like they get a rash or something a medical professional can see.

We have a lady live with us who when giving birth to her second son suffered oxygen deprivation which has left her with significant mental health problems. If this lady is the mother (which the Sky article says the police won't say what the relationship is) then she could have developed these problems after the birth.

As someone has said, if she recovers from her problems, she will have to live with the guilt of knowing what she has done when she might have not had any control over it. Voices in the head can be a very powerful and overwhelming thing, and unless you know what it's like to live with the voices constantly telling you to do things or saying horrible things about you etc. or you know someone well who suffers like this, it's difficult to comment objectively.

It will certainly take the psychiatrists some time to get to the bottom of whats going on in her head.
Old 23 April 2004, 01:04 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Tragic i agree,

but dont jump to conclusions....

its easy to condem the mother based on the headline...

but until all the facts are known it is pure speculation......

in one fell swoop, this woman has been likened to a child killer similar to Roy

Whiting or Ian Huntley.

PND takes many forms....

as some stage, this woman will confront what she has done,,, and then she will have to live with it for the rest of her life...

Mart
Old 23 April 2004, 01:57 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Don't jump to conclusions?

But that's all the exercise many people on SN ever get...

Let's look at the facts that have been omitted shall we? Particularly one rather important thing.

As the Police spokesperson declined to identify the child until the next-of-kin had been informed, it rather rules out the suggestion that this woman is the mother, doesn't it.

As a parent this sickens me beyond belief. But I still feel some sympathy for the woman and her family. Mental health issues are a terrible thing to deal with and too many people fall through the cracks in this green and pleasant land. Our mental health service needs to be looked at properly. Not by career politicians and civil servants but by people who actually know what they are doing and who may perhaps have the interests of the patient and the country at heart rather than their election/career prospects.

SB

Last edited by Sbradley; 23 April 2004 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Typos.
Old 23 April 2004, 03:11 PM
Grottbags the witch
Scooby Newbie

Oh good grief. That's an inflaming statement!

You're basically saying "mentally ill people" shouldn't be allowed to look after children?!?

Just goes to show you have no real idea about mental health problems. There are numerous different types affecting everyone differently. That is too general a statement to go making.

We have a lady living here that cared for her children at home with her husband despite suffering from bi-polar (manic depression). She coped with her kids really well and only wasn't looking after them when she was in hospital for a crisis. Her kids were not abused or harmed in any way as a result.

I think you need to carefully consider the emotional damage that happens to a child for not living with it's parents just because the parent is mentally ill. Better to live with someone who loves them and appears eccentric than to live in a childrens home feeling unloved by not just family but society as well.
Old 23 April 2004, 03:16 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Grottbags-I agree.
Old 23 April 2004, 03:23 PM
Grottbags the witch
Scooby Newbie

I know well over 30 mentally ill people, eccentric is how most of them appear (some appear what could be described as normal).

You can't even say seriously mentally ill people shouldn't look after kids. That's a narrow minded ill informed statement.

You have said you have suffered depression yourself. Some people would regard that as a serious mental health problem, depending on your presentation.
Old 23 April 2004, 03:29 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Grottbags the witch
I know well over 30 mentally ill people, eccentric is how most of them appear (some appear what could be described as normal).

You can't even say seriously mentally ill people shouldn't look after kids. That's a narrow minded ill informed statement.

You have said you have suffered depression yourself. Some people would regard that as a serious mental health problem, depending on your presentation.

So there should be no regulation, no control, and the babies take pot luck as to if they are going to end up in the oven? Sounds sensible to me.
Old 23 April 2004, 03:37 PM
Grottbags the witch
Scooby Newbie

Is that what I said?

No, I thought not.

Next someone will voice the opinion that blind people shouldn't look after babies because they won't know that the bum on the baby has been properly cleaned and the baby will get nappy rash. For heavens sake.

1 in 10 people will suffer a mental health problem at some time in their life. Given how many people are parents, that's a hell of a lot of kids in care.

You cannot make sweeping and generalised statements about mental health, it is not that simple.
Old 23 April 2004, 03:38 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

As the Police spokesperson declined to identify the child until the next-of-kin had been informed

I dont think that rules her out as being the mother, perhaps they're trying to identify who the father is before he reads it in the paper?
Old 23 April 2004, 03:40 PM
Grottbags the witch
Scooby Newbie

They'll need to contact the NOK for the sectioned woman too. If it's one in the same person, they won't want to release details yet.
Old 23 April 2004, 03:52 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I couldn't read the whole article. I feel sick

Quick Reply: What sort of sicko does this?