Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

p1ss poor spelling on Scoobynet

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2004, 05:02 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry p1ss poor spelling on Scoobynet

Seems to me that spelling on here is a joke. I give up reading some posts on here due to the sheer effort of trying to decipher what's being said.

Granted, there will be a proportion on here who are dyslexic, but what's everyone else’s excuse? I’m not saying I know everything about the English language, I managed a 'c' GCSE while at school, but some of the posts on here are shockingly bad.

I’m the first to admit my English at school was poor, yet I have tried over the years to improve it. I still have many faults, as more than likely will be pointed out by others in this text I am typing and previous posts. What’s stopping these people from using a spell checker? If they do this then over time they won’t need one as they’ll know how to spell etc. Or do they want people not to bother reading what they type or think they are thick?

My pet hate at the moment is *did'nt* and *hav,nt*

I don’t really want to read twenty plus lines of ‘text’ English either.

An example of what I mean:

OK,..so on the way back from the shell i was on some twisty lil roads doin about 50 when outa nowhere this car comes shootin up my ***,Now it was dark so i could'nt see what it was but i was sure i could see those 4 oooo wot r on the front of an audi.My first thought was,..."cheeky ****** best av sumet under that hood to b tryin 2 climb into my boot"there was a straight coming up and as i did'nt wanna give him the satisfaction i thought i wud b safe droppin it into forth and puttin my foot down a little.(thought it mighta been a local boy racer and did'nt want him down the pub sayin he blasted my scoob).**** me...He was still coming on strong and just as i was about to drop 2 third,. he blasts past and there they were.......those gret big distinctive lights of an R33.I had a bit of time on my hands and a full tank of fuel so ..............THIRD GEAR..FOOT DOWN! Catchin him up we reach a 30 zone......after that ....whhhhooossshhhhhst.. dump valves r going and so r we.......50-70-90 around these slightly cornered roads and were bumper 2 bumper,...theres a car in front and a blind bend...he takes it ....Me knowin theres a 2 mile straight ahead i wait a couple of secs and of i go.....I SEE HIM......90-110-120. i know theres uneven tarmac ahead, i ease of a little (my 45mm drop dont like it much)still hitin it and bouncin all over the place were still goin,.....up comes another 30 zone..........bumper 2 bumper again......30 zone ends and theres the last 2 mile straight ahead......We accelerate together/engines revin ...i knew i would'nt over take him but he was'nt leavin me nowhere ...reachin speeds up to 125 together were still bumper to bumper, theres a slight kink in the road ahead with a blind tractors turnin,...i bottle it and slow down a touch.he keeps goin!...after that we reach speeds just over 130 and there was a hump back bridge coming up where u leave the ground at 55-60,my suspension was'nt gonna take it and i did'nt want to **** up my scoob and at the same time thinkin IS IT WORTH IT.....

least i can say he did'nt beat me on power!
Old 21 April 2004, 05:05 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

Get over yourself.
Old 21 April 2004, 05:06 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Talking

A two word reply to your three words.
Old 21 April 2004, 05:07 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Av a w@nk & a pot noodle
Old 21 April 2004, 05:10 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

DA BIGEST PROBL3M I HAEV IS TEXT SP3AK I WONT 3V3N USE IT WH3N IMM SENDNG TEXTS!!11!!1 OMG WTF ITS JUST DA U OF 2DAY IMM AFRADE
Old 21 April 2004, 05:11 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
p1ss poor spelling on Scoobynet

Maybe practice what you preach
Old 21 April 2004, 05:13 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

Scoobynutta.

If you don't like it, leave.

Bye!

Trending Topics

Old 21 April 2004, 05:15 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Terible aint it
Old 21 April 2004, 05:16 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

ps. Copy/Paste from Microsoft Word is cheating.

Damo
Old 21 April 2004, 05:16 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

r fin it cool te torq proper in a Scoooboynet wiv u r a jus a troll an' I won' even ask u again.

u r a weasil snake not even u an' anwser mine. u ding dong.

UB
Old 21 April 2004, 05:18 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by super_si
Maybe practice what you preach
I'm sure the correct version wouldn't pass the filters

Damian, I suppose the rest of your posts are just as banal and pointless
Old 21 April 2004, 05:19 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Seems to me that spelling on here is a joke. I give up reading some posts on here due to the sheer effort of trying to decipher what's being said
Totally and utterly agree, it's embarrassing to think they are adults.
Old 21 April 2004, 05:23 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

wrong
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure the correct version wouldn't pass the filters

Damian, I suppose the rest of your posts are just as banal and pointless
am i being thick? whats banal? is that english? never heard of it before, maybe its spelt wrong?

jamo
Chip
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with scoobynutta555 . Spelling on this BBS is absolutely appalling. Dont they teach English in school these days?

Just a trait of the younger generation I think. Too much use of the text message is one reason why they are unable to spell correctly.

Chip.
Old 21 April 2004, 05:24 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

My excuse is that I don't proof read any of my posts, IMHO that would be giving this place airs and graces it doesn't warrant.

Some of the other examples can be easily explained by a simple lack of education, hardly surprising when you consider the average Impreza owners demographic.
Old 21 April 2004, 05:25 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

scoobynutta555

Ahem! Pot/Kettle interface there mate! IMO it's a little pointless posting this thread - maybe you would like to start using the search function?

This is a SIAL of the highest proportions!

Damian
Old 21 April 2004, 05:30 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Banal = boring, ordinary and not original.

As explained I'm in no way perfect. I'm simply saying that the odd mistake here and there is not the same as the utter gobbledegook expressed by some on here.
Old 21 April 2004, 05:42 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

does it really matter that much? I re-read my posts and sometimes the grammar is incorrect but my spelling is fine and to be honest I dont normally bother editing posts, this is a *public* BBS and anyone can post what the heck they like and spell it how they like, the fact that *you* don't like it is completely f**king irrelavant, you need to be less **** I think.

I can't believe anyone would post sh*t like this is completely un-f**king-believable and yes it is annoying me!
Old 21 April 2004, 05:46 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Does it really matter if people can't spell?

It merely makes them look a bit uneducated, which is their problem.

There are more grammatical errors and misused words with most people's posts than spelling mistakes. These look worse, IMHO.

Example:

people using 'there' instead of 'their', or he should 'of' instead of should 'have'.

And then there's the constant abuse and overuse of the apostrophe.....

But nobody's perfect and not everyone can be arsed to type and then go over what they've put.

Plus, who gives a ****?
Old 21 April 2004, 05:49 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryK
you need to be less **** I think.

So diplomatic gary lmao
Old 21 April 2004, 05:53 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

well i have an excuse.. i iz dyslexic.
only got a D in English too

but i too don't proof read what i write before i send it sorry
Old 21 April 2004, 06:05 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by GaryK
this is a *public* BBS and anyone can post what the heck they like and spell it how they like, the fact that *you* don't like it is completely f**king irrelavant, you need to be less **** I think.

I can't believe anyone would post sh*t like this is completely un-f**king-believable and yes it is annoying me!
No people can't just post what they like.

If you had bothered to pick up what I'm saying then you'll see that your comments are irrelevant. I'm actually saying it's very distracting and that some posters type down any old **** and expect people to read it.

Lose the churlish attitude or find a ball pit.
Old 21 April 2004, 06:11 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Lose the churlish attitude or find a ball pit.
aha, so you are happy to criticise others but *you* don't like to criticised?

gary
(just off to spell check, grammar check and o I-really-hope-I-don't-upset-anyone check)

edited for spelling
Old 21 April 2004, 06:15 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Talking

I don't mind reasoned criticism. Your effort of a post was thoughtless drivel.
Old 21 April 2004, 06:19 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Seems to me that spelling on here is a joke. I give up reading some posts on here due to the sheer effort of trying to decipher what's being said.
Have to agree, and an unfortunate by-product of modern Britain it would seem.

It amazes me that people don't consider anything wrong in the message they're trying to get across becoming totally submerged beneath a layer of schoolkid mistakes.

In my previous job I used to receive CV's that contained dreadfully obvious spelling, grammatical and contextual errors, together with a smattering of txt lngo.

Unless dyslexia was listed under the "disabilities" column, they went in the bin no matter what the other qualifications of the candidate. Similarly, second interviews regularly involved candidates having to write a short piece in Word with the spell check disabled. Professional presentation was very important to the company and I wasn't interested in people who couldn't project themselves (and us) legibly and clearly.

It makes me wonder what the education and political system has come to when people feel we should make allowances for people who simply haven't learned to express themselves legibly and understandably.
Old 21 April 2004, 06:21 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

I wuont evun bothur speling all this rong as im sure evurywon else has dun it alredy.
Old 21 April 2004, 06:21 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

In my previous job I used to receive CV's that contained dreadfully obvious spelling, grammatical and contextual errors, together with a smattering of txt lngo
One big grammatical error in there.
Old 21 April 2004, 06:30 PM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

Bad spelling doesn't bother me-not everyone can,so I try not to judge people on it.Textspeak is a bit annoying though and so is that strange language some people use-urban massive or something.
Old 21 April 2004, 06:34 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

Im one of the offenders i dont know wether im dyslexic or not. like i think wether is spelt wrong but dont know how to correct it lol. anyway i dont realy give a toss i get by . some peoples level of skill is higher than others and if you think your better than someone bacause you spell better than them then your probably sad

anyway i see the cleverst lad in my school stood at the bus stop on a morning
he can spell but still cant drive or cant afford to.

Quick Reply: p1ss poor spelling on Scoobynet