Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Just crashed into the back of a car, do you think i can claim?

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2004, 11:59 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just crashed into the back of a car, do you think i can claim?

Had a cheap runabout until buying this Fiat estate and never changed insurance from 3rd party to fully comp and the other day set off from traffic lights then went into the back of someone, there were 4 cars in total and i was the last one at the back so my fault but i've seen this happen a few times before in the same place and i cant believe i can be to blame for 3 other cars being damaged, I hold my hands up for not driving with due care and attention but seems a bit out of order, apparently someone said that the 1st car stalled so really if that car hadn't stalled there wouldn't have been an accident. Not got much chance of getting someones insurance to pay for my repairs, or have I?
Old 16 April 2004, 12:38 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

you want to shift the blame cos your drivings crap?
Old 16 April 2004, 12:42 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

its a consetina effect i believe its called. you are responsible for the car you hit and your damage only.

jamo
Old 16 April 2004, 01:07 AM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Yup in the eyes of the insurance companies if you hit someone up the rear you're to blame regardless of circumstances. In my previous car I had one of those illegal taxi cab barstewards slam on his brakes in the wet in front of me to try and get a fair making me not able to stop in time - the claim still went against me. I had him up against his car when the police came by I was furious!!

Also know another example where a guy had some boy racer all over his **** for ages, after a while he got pretty pi**ed off and remembering he had a few scuffs on his rear bumper just slammed on his brakes so the guy went into the back of him. One new bumper thank you mr boy racer!!

So to summarise - no the blame is on you I'm afraid...
Old 16 April 2004, 01:35 AM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

stickymicky: who are you to make such a remark, pointless post
Old 16 April 2004, 01:48 AM
Danbo
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately the general standard is that you should always be able to stop whatever happens in front of you.

Hence if you go into the rear of someone then it is almost always your fault. (extreme circumstances apart)
Old 16 April 2004, 03:14 AM
Lord Shrek
Scooby Regular

remember remember the two second rule

you are feked

case dismissed...NEXT!!!!
Old 16 April 2004, 09:01 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

I feel sorry for the two middle cars that will also loose their no-claims despite the fact they stopped it time! UK insurance sucks! In the rest of Europe, everyone would claim of the person that caused the accident and all innocent parties get to keep their no-claims... much fairer system IMHO!
Old 16 April 2004, 09:14 AM
grovesy
Scooby Regular

Have to agree with micky poor driving mate.....

If you were watching the road infont of you it would never have a happend
Old 16 April 2004, 09:22 AM
little miss fire
Scooby Regular

LeeMac

Has this exact same thing happen to me last year, but only 3 cars involved. The other 2 drivers claimed off my insurance. Nowt I could so about it! Sorry.
Old 16 April 2004, 09:28 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Presumably the guy at the back must have being doing some speed to hit the 3rd car hard enough for it to hit the 2nd car, which in turn was hit hard enough to hit the first car.

I know a friend of mine was involved in a concertina accident in the Dartford Tunnel, but was one of the cars in the middle. He believes he had hit the car in front before he was punted in the back, but I am sure was claiming against the guy at the back.

What I am not sure about is who the original poster is planning to claim against and why.
Old 16 April 2004, 09:29 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Virtually all insurace claims of this nature will be the person you ran into making a full claim on your policy at 100% your fault.

Thats what happened when somebody ran into the back of me. The guy who went into the back of me accepted responsibility and the insurance was sorted out without a hitch.

If however the guy had tried to wriggle out of it and his insurance co. go for 50-50 I'd have been very dissapointed to say the least.

Fortunately for me the guy took responsibility for his actions, put his hands up and did the honest thing. Lucky for me he wasn't a tosser.

However this situation may bear no similarity to your predicament.
Old 16 April 2004, 09:43 AM
juan
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by LeeMac
stickymicky: who are you to make such a remark, pointless post
Seems a very fair remark to me.

its a consetina effect i believe its called. you are responsible for the car you hit and your damage only.
Now this would be unfair. Other innocent people also having to cough up on their insurance because of your crap driving!

How can anyone try and blame someone else for their lack of attention regardless of what happened.

i cant believe i can be to blame for 3 other cars being damaged
[disbelief]
No of course not. They would still have crashed into themselves had you not run into the back of them.
[/disbelief]

Last edited by juan; 16 April 2004 at 11:11 AM.
Old 16 April 2004, 10:16 AM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

"but i've seen this happen a few times before in the same place "

And you didn't learn from other's mistakes?
Old 16 April 2004, 11:10 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

if that car hadn't stalled there wouldn't have been an accident.
What sort of lame excuse is that???

If you hadn't been driving you wouldn't have hit the car in front!

If you had been more observant you wouldn't have hit the car in front!

And now your trying to blame someone else for an accident you had due to your bad driving and neglegence.

The car that stalled is not at fault here and the driver is also not responsible for your driving inadequacies there is only one person at fault here and that is you.

Also if your not adequately insured enough then that is also your fault an dnobody elses.

Last edited by Wurzel; 16 April 2004 at 11:14 AM.
Old 16 April 2004, 11:26 AM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

It was hardly because of crap driving, i was facing forward whilstt looking in o/s mirror getting ready to go into the outside lane and noticed the cars break lights in the corner of my eye looked and breaked but to late, it wasn't as tho i had a mobile phone to my ear, now how many people do that.

If he hadn't stalled there would not have been an accident, bet that would work in America, im just p!ssed off I never changed to fully comp

Last edited by LeeMac; 16 April 2004 at 11:33 AM.
Old 16 April 2004, 11:31 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You haven't got a hope! if you went round a blind corner and hit someone who had stopped in the road it would be your fault for not being able to stop. Same principle applies here too.

Les
Old 16 April 2004, 11:35 AM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

£1500 to get it repaired at a back street ish gararge

kin ell
Old 16 April 2004, 11:40 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

You were looking yet still hit him! You may not be a crap driver generally but you just performed some crap driving (we ALL do some crap driving from time to time). good driving wouldn't have hit the guy, bad driving would (and did). or was it your good driving that made you smash into him.

Doesn't matter why the 1st car stopped (stalled, broken down, stopped coz a kid run across road, changed mind about whether to go etc.) the car behind hit him, not the other way round. You HAVE to allow for other road users, that's part of basic road skill. I (and no doubt many others) been behind many stalled cars but have not smashed up the back of them, funny that.
Old 16 April 2004, 11:41 AM
juan
Scooby Regular

It was hardly because of crap driving, i was facing forward whilstt looking in o/s mirror getting ready to go into the outside lane and noticed the cars break lights in the corner of my eye looked and breaked but to late, it wasn't as tho i had a mobile phone to my ear, now how many people do that.

If he hadn't stalled there would not have been an accident, bet that would work in America, im just p!ssed off I never changed to fully comp
It was 100% because of CRAP driving I'm afraid. you gotta learn to accept responsibility.
So you weren't looking where you were going and through your direct action you push 3 cars into each other but you reckon its someone else's fault and expect someone else to pay for it?

Its 100% your responsibility. Get over it. You are supposed to be aware of whats happening in front of you. You weren't. Tough break.

The front person may have stalled but car #2 and car #3 managed to not crash into anyone.

You must have a fair bit of damage to be so concerned about not having fully comp. Are you sure you didn't just accelerate into them all?

Last edited by juan; 16 April 2004 at 11:43 AM.
Old 16 April 2004, 11:43 AM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Unless you can claim that the first person slammed the car into reverse and rammed everyone back into you ... that's the only way that you couldn't have avoided it.
Old 16 April 2004, 12:09 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

A little harsh guys, yes he made a mistake and actually should be responsible for the whole concertina claiming off his insurance regardless, but if it was a slow speed accident and nobody's hurt (I take it) then a crap driving tag is hardly fair.

The only thing that does bother me is the fact so many vehicles were shunted implying it was rather recklace as opposed to careless.

What speed were you doing on impact?
Old 16 April 2004, 12:56 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by Jay m A
The guy who went into the back of me accepted responsibility and the insurance was sorted out without a hitch. Fortunately for me the guy took responsibility for his actions, put his hands up and did the honest thing. Lucky for me he wasn't a tosser.
However your insurance policy expressly forbids you from accepting any liability at the scene, and to do so may compromise your position. They do not encourage people to be honest and responsible
Old 16 April 2004, 01:12 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i had this years ago.....100 yards from home and a few cars had stopped to let someone pull out- i wasnt looking at smacked into the back of the last car.

just as i was thinking "****....i'll get the blame" a 2 tonne jag ploughed into me and crush me and the nest 3 cars!

so i wasnt blamed and i got a new car! (and headache for a week)

T
Old 16 April 2004, 01:15 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

I had just set off from lights towards another set that was just changing (3 sets within 200 metres) doing about 20mph, the man infront of me said he thought the car infront of him stalled, I suspect the 1st car may have stalled and the 2nd drove into the 1st car causing the 3rd to stop quickly thus me shunting him into 2nd - if you follow me
Old 16 April 2004, 01:16 PM
SD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
However your insurance policy expressly forbids you from accepting any liability at the scene, and to do so may compromise your position. They do not encourage people to be honest and responsible

I don't think it's about whether they're encouraging honesty or not - just that they have to write the cheque at the end of the day so it's down to them and the others' insurance companies to work out who's at fault and who's not. You have no 'authority' as such to say your insurance company will be stumping up.

Simon.
Old 16 April 2004, 01:19 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This exact sceanario happened to a friend of mine just before Christmas. The way it was handled by the insurance was;
There were four cars, "A", "B", "C", "D". My friend was car "D".
At the front of the "concertina", "A" claimed against "B".
Car "B" claimed against "C" for damages (losses) for both A and B.
Car "C" then claims for losses(from "A" and "B") and damages, against car "D"

So although each car is making a claim, the only one suffering any real loss is car "D" at the back.

Last edited by scunnered; 16 April 2004 at 01:21 PM.
Old 16 April 2004, 01:21 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

just to add
I'm with Churchill and got their breakdown cover with green flag
a green flag truck happend to be in the traffic at the time of accident, he asked everyone if they were with GF and i said yes thro churchill, phoned churchill to confirm so i can put car on back of truck, they said yes its ok, put the car on the back and had to phone churchill back because he needed a job number as if he'd been sent out, phoned back and they said i couldnt use GF cos im 3rd party and it was my fault, i argued and argued up to 3 days later because its a seperate insurance and nothing to do with 3rd party or fully comp or who i'm with, in the end i got an apology and they said they would re-imburse me, even got the reply 'you took breakdown cover out, you havn't broke down, you crashed and it was your fault' i couldn't believe it and lodged a complaint.

Last edited by LeeMac; 16 April 2004 at 01:25 PM.
Old 16 April 2004, 01:26 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your fault I'm afraid mate.

Highway code Roundabouts section 161:
"look forward before moving off to make sure traffic in front as moved off."
I think many drivers have had some sort of near miss in that situation. You were unlucky. Unfortunately though it's your fault as it's your responsibility to stop.

You might find it useful to take an Advanced driving test. The lessons are free & the test doesn't cost much. It taught me to think more about my driving.

Quick Reply: Just crashed into the back of a car, do you think i can claim?