Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I got mugged this evening.

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2004, 11:44 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I got mugged this evening.

Im walking along the street, not a particularly notorious area, a girl asks me what the time is. I stopped to tell her I dont have a watch but before I could say anything a guy stepped out of a doorway and told me to hand over my wallet and mobile.
Im like WTF???? some kind of wind-up surely, its not that late at night, there were still lots of people on the streets (none around me though)
The guy was quite insistent though and pulled a knife out his pocket to emphasise his point.
The girl went behind me.
I told him I didnt have a mobile (I dont carry it around much) and my wallet was at home.
The girl grabbed my ****, checking for a wallet and went through my pockets. They seemed quite surprised I didnt have a mobile phone, I did have £30 cash which they took.
The guy then punched me in the face and they ran off.
Hit right on the nose I was too stunned to do anything.

At the police station, the plod were quite concerned and helpfull but what could they do? hundreds of places these two could have gone, my description? a male and female, average height, average build, she shoulder-length dark hair, him short dark hair and stubble. Dark jackets, jeans, trainers. Could be pretty much anyone.

fvcking cvnts.
Old 15 April 2004, 11:53 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

sorry to hear that mate. Hope you are ok now.
What part of the world did this happen?
Old 15 April 2004, 11:56 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Scum chavs.

Never happened to me (touchwood), so really don't know how I'd react, but if there was a knife, I'd happily give them £30 sad to say

Not much to do but accept it as one of the sad things about society. Hope you're ok, and be glad you got off lightly I guess.....it's one of these situations I'd imagine where you think back and wish you'd done things differently and bopped him one.....or hope you see him tmmrw in the street when he's on his own, and you've got 10 mates with you

Scum.
Old 15 April 2004, 11:58 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Shocking!

What a horrible experience. Hope you get some sort of comeback out of it.

My feelings are unprintable. I dont know you but feel for you.

Where did this happen?

Asif
Old 15 April 2004, 11:58 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have pulled my knife and told him to come get whatever he wanted!!

What a ****ter!! Hope you don't suffer too much in the mind - I KNOW it would get to me unless I stood my ground ..... easier said than done I know!

Where was it?

Pete
Old 16 April 2004, 12:04 AM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Was in Aberdeen. Bedford road just along from Halfords, if anyone knows the area.

Do I run? do I smack him one? Do I kick him in the nuts? yeah I thought all of that sort of stuff, but he was very agressive and Id rather not get stabbed for £30. I dunno if the girl had a weapon or not, but didnt want to chance anything.
Old 16 April 2004, 12:05 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Dickson
Was in Aberdeen. Bedford road just along from Halfords, if anyone knows the area.

Do I run? do I smack him one? Do I kick him in the nuts? yeah I thought all of that sort of stuff, but he was very agressive and Id rather not get stabbed for £30. I dunno if the girl had a weapon or not, but didnt want to chance anything.
You absolutely did the correct thing.
Better £30 down than 10 pints of blood down
Old 16 April 2004, 12:06 AM
ZippyEFC
Scooby Regular

I hope the c*nts O D on the smack your £30 bought them
Old 16 April 2004, 12:06 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

im sorry to hear that mate, which part of the country are you in? might i suggest a little self defense training? if someone had done that to me, they would of had a ******* massive shock!

jamo
Old 16 April 2004, 12:07 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Don't know the area, but I'd probably drive past that general area a few times in the future around the same time of night just to see if you can spot them......

I guess retribution is not clever, but just knowing you *could* get them back may help?
Old 16 April 2004, 12:09 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4mou
im sorry to hear that mate, which part of the country are you in? might i suggest a little self defense training? if someone had done that to me, they would of had a ******* massive shock!

jamo
I beg to differ. £30 versus risking your life against two people, one with a knife, another perhaps with one too?

You can have all the self defence training in the world, but I reckon it can't work 100% of the time. What if Chav No.3 appeared from the shadows too?
Old 16 April 2004, 12:15 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

its different for different people, I personaly would not have let them do that to me, but of course would not suggest anyone tackle such people unless they are equiped to do so, and are fully aware of the consequences.

jamo
Old 16 April 2004, 12:17 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

its different for different people, I personaly would not have let them do that to me, but of course would not suggest anyone tackle such people unless they are equiped to do so, and are fully aware of the consequences.

jamo
So you'd risk everything for the sake of £30?
It's just NOT worth ANY consequences....how do you know the 2 people you are up against aren't "equipped" in the same manner you are? They are also obviously prepared to risk more consequences than you.....

Doesn't look too clever now does it?
Old 16 April 2004, 12:18 AM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Red face

David,

I, for one, think you coped very well. Just remember that it was only £30. My wife and I were almost carjacked, but I managed to drive away. If we had already got out of the car, I would have let them take it. You are far more important than money or possessions. I know it's hard, but just remember that if they are desperate enough to do that for £30 then they must be a right pair of sad b@stards! You can have that nice warm feeling knowing that you are a far superior person in every way who will have a much better life, etc, etc.

If you're desperate for the ca$h we could always have a Scoobynet whip round !!

Mark.
Old 16 April 2004, 12:19 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

They rely on fear - they hope that you are scared enough to let them take whatever you have.

That 'may' be the best way - however, these ***** don't want to get hurt in the same way we don't want to ........... bluffing and telling them to go Fvck themselves may just make them leave (how do they know you don't have a gun in your pocket? How do they know you are not a street fighter?)

Its easy to sit here all cozy and say stand up to them, I don't know you. All I know is that it would eat me away if I let them get away with it ...... it would seriously affect my life - so, I think I would fight and go down with one of them.

Pete
Old 16 April 2004, 12:22 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
All I know is that it would eat me away if I let them get away with it ...... it would seriously affect my life - so, I think I would fight and go down with one of them.

Pete
Really?
For the sake of a night or two being pee-ed off for getting robbed of £30? I know it may have a deeper psychological impact for some, but the victim is still here, physically unharmed, down £30 (not much really), and most of all, alive to tell the tale.

Fighting and going down with one of them is hardly the words of a victor. I can understand the theory of such fighting talk, but I'd rather live to tell the tale than live to face the consequences.

Engage the brain, not the fists, as this 'victim' cleverly did.
Old 16 April 2004, 12:22 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

for its not the point.

I work hard for everything I have and feel comfortable enough in myself to make the right decision for me, so for me that would be my decision, its no good preaching to me on this, I know i wouldnt have let them do that to me. id have stuck that knife up his ****ing nose had he had put that in my face, the bitch would have had a piece of elbow in nose.

as i say its each to their own and would not advise people to do that unless they were 1000% sure they could pull it off safely.

jamo
Old 16 April 2004, 12:26 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

as i say its each to their own and would not advise people to do that unless they were 1000% sure they could pull it off safely.

jamo
No matter who you are, your approch can NEVER be 100% safe. You have been watching too many Stallone/Schwarzenegger movies m'lad.

Last edited by imlach; 16 April 2004 at 12:29 AM.
Old 16 April 2004, 12:27 AM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Pete,

Understand your point of view, but 12 months after our brush with a pair of psychos we have moved on psychologically, and now have a nipper on the way. I would do anything to protect my wife and child if I thought it was a no win situation, but parting with £30, or even the car (the sh!theads didn't know about the tracker ) is a small price to pay. I don't want my kid to be fatherless because I managed to stumble across a completely desperate nutcase with no regard for human life.

Mark.
Old 16 April 2004, 12:34 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

All I am saying is that I couldn't rest if I thought I could have done more.

And I don't mean 1 or 2 days!! I would carry it for 20 - 30 - 40 years ..... I know I still carry scars from 25 years ago and would get retribution now if I had the chance (and that was just me getting stitched-up on a deal once!) - the person involved is now about 80 years old - but I would STILL extract my revenge!

Its sad, I know, but if I had ANYTHING stolen off me it would play on my mind for life .................. if it was 10p it wouldn't matter. I KNOW I would get a shotgun and I would find them and blow them away ....... I just KNOW I would, I would HAVE to!

Pete
Old 16 April 2004, 12:38 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

m,lad

you can stay

not been called that for a whilst.

I know where you are coming from mate, and I understand your stance, but all people are different, Im not a violent person and never go looking for trouble, but I can look after myself.

lets leave it there.
Old 16 April 2004, 12:46 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

I look after my self fine too, I can run like Forrest Gump!! Run Forrest Run!!

I've had a few 'encounters' that could have turned very nasty and I decided that my only safe choice was walk away, well not so much walk but sprint.

My best mate was once assaulted for a few quid, 1 broken jaw, cracked skull, busted teeth and a few other problems from what I remember and that was for few quid and he did not resist either, he just handed over the money.

Had he resisted what would the guy have done? If he was able to give my mate a totally f**ked face without resisting what would he have done if my mate had resisted? Its not worth it. Its only money.

I can see j4mou and Pete's look on this and to an certain extent I agree but then there are so many nutters around its not worth it.

Oh and David, glad to hear the damage is not to serious and you came out of it ok.

Darren
Old 16 April 2004, 12:53 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

One last thing j4mou....

Have you ever been in a position at knifepoint? If so, please explain what you did.
Old 16 April 2004, 01:00 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Brain is ALWAYS the best option.

I've never been involved in any street mugging or street fight, and if a situation has ever come close to getting nasty, I've used my brain to work out how to extract myself out of the situation in the first place....and before you think I've lived my life wrapped in cotton-wool, this has involved walking through some of Edinburgh's most violent streets, as well as being in the vicinity of fist-on-fist fighting, in addition to being threatened on many a occassion (unprovoked of course).

I'd like to think my escapology so far has been due to thinking my way out of the situation rather than fighting my way out of it.

However, I am well aware that there are enough nutters out there who will attack for ANY reason, and my brain won't be enough. Read of one attack in Edinburgh recently where some 2 guys got out of a taxi and whacked a guy across the head with a metal bar totally unprovoked. These kind of things are the ones that fill me with dread. Not much you can do.

Suffice to say, my brain reacts first, not my fists.
Old 16 April 2004, 01:04 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

It's very hard for me to say, "Hand over what they want" when everytime the victim STILL gets hurt!

I still maintain that the best form of defence is attack - they smack you one when you hand over everything because they know they can!

I am NOT saying its easy and I have been known to wet myself when faced with odds that are stacked against me BUT, and it has worked every time, if you just stand your ground it blows over.

I may be at an advantage as I am 20 stone, however!?

I think if you are able to live with it (as some can) then hand over what they want.

Pete
Old 16 April 2004, 01:11 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I may be at an advantage as I am 20 stone, however!?
<yawn>
The usual "bulk" argument.
Holds no water with me. I am a fairly sizeable person myself, and it does carry some advantage to an extent, but IMHO, a weapon doesn't discriminate against size

...and I seem to recall Bruce Lee was a small bloke. You really think he'd think twice because you're 20 stone? No chance....you'd be mincemeat.

Use your brains lads.
Old 16 April 2004, 01:28 AM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

round near me theres a 20 stone bully boy he gave a 16 year old kid a good slap the next day the kid stabed him with a sword in one side out the other.

you did well to walk away tonite everyone can sit there and say this and that untill it happens you dont know. you mite stand and **** your pants burst out crying or get red mist and kill the scum but hold your head up high ond what ever you do dont let it get you down
Old 16 April 2004, 01:36 AM
Danbo
Scooby Regular

The thing to remember in these situations is that the scum who do this sort of thing often have nothing to lose. Hence they will quite happily stab or seriously hurt you without a single thought of the consequences.

Its all very well saying you cant deal with the thought of losing your property but in these types of situation you always have more to lose should things get messy.

unless you are a ninja you are going to lose 9 times out of 10. The drug addicts/nutters/scum who do these robberies really dont give a damn if they kill you as long as they get away and that puts almost everyone else on a loser, however hard you are in a normal situation.

I dont think anyone should comment unless they have been in this situation. Its very frightening and the best thing to do is always to preserve your own life. Even the wimpiest of people can kill you if they have a weapon, even if that is not their initial intention.

Just be careful, possessions can be replaced, people cant.
Old 16 April 2004, 05:53 AM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Martial arts are a dangerous waste of time in such incidents. If you think you can copy some celluloid dance moves out of a Bruce Lee film and turn the tables on these knife wielding, practised street robbers then you'd soon end up on a slab in the morgue.

Quick Reply: I got mugged this evening.