Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New Boiler?

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2004, 06:32 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Boiler?

I have had a problem with a boiler in one of our rental properties this morning- basically its pishing out water.

Finally got a central heating guy to come and look, he's told me the boiler is shagged and needs replacing (about 8 years old).

Seems like a straight enough guy.

Has quoted me £1200 fitted for a new combi, including flushing out the system which seems to have a rust problem.

We were limited on boiler types, apparently it needed a rear flu rather than a top flu if that makes any sense. It is mounted fairly high up on the wall and the current flu goes out of the back as the room ain't tall enough for a top one.

Does this price seem reasonable?
Old 14 April 2004, 06:52 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

It does seem reasonable. However, the boiler may not be great quality at that price (although as it's for a rental property that may not bother you so much).

A top quality condensing combi boiler could cost you £1200 before it's fitted, so that does seem a good price to supply and fit plus flush the system.
Old 14 April 2004, 07:26 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Hmm I don't think you need to pay £1200 for a decent quality boiler - I picked up a Vokera Linea 24 for £500 which is more than adequate (up to 6 radiators). £1200 sounds about right for supply & fit of a mid-range boiler.
Just as a precaution, I'd get another plumber to come and give a diagnosis : if you can get hold of one and actually get him to turn up - no mean feat these days. Just in case the first guy is pulling your chain.
Old 14 April 2004, 07:33 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
Hmm I don't think you need to pay £1200 for a decent quality boiler
True that decent quality boilers are available for less. Top quality can be pretty much that price - and Plumbworld are reasonably cheap. I also did say that £1200 would be for a condensing boiler, so that adds a good few quid.

Agree that a second opinion won't hurt.
Old 14 April 2004, 07:41 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

will get a 2nd opinion, although....

the guy was good enough to come out at short notice, so if it needs to be replaced he'll get the job even if its a bit more expensive.

thanks for your help....
simon (don't know why I'm smiling, could think of better things to spend it on)
Old 14 April 2004, 07:41 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Had a Vokera compact 24 fitted a couple of months ago fitted in a property I rent out, nr London. I bought the boiler myself from an internet firm (do a google search) with all the kit for £470 and paid a further £400 to have it fitted. So £870 all in.

The company that does the management for the property wanted to charge in excess of £1400. I'd advise getting the boiler yourself on C/C and getting it delivered to the person who will fit it. Save yourself a bit of cash