Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

No Rise In Interest Rates

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2004, 12:20 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down No Rise In Interest Rates

What's the hold up? The housing Market is over heated and needs a correction. I don't understand the Bank Of England.

UB
Old 08 April 2004, 12:24 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

getting too close to election time - don't want to risk a major housing market crash
Old 08 April 2004, 12:26 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

It's good news for me personally so YA BOO! to the housing market, I'm off to drink Champagne and celebrate this evening- I'm up 4K as a result of this.
Old 08 April 2004, 12:28 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by NACRO
It's good news for me personally so YA BOO! to the housing market, I'm off to drink Champagne and celebrate this evening- I'm up 4K as a result of this.
My Bullsh*t detector just went into the red.
Old 08 April 2004, 12:31 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Interest rates aren't just there to 'control' the housing market you know

Manufacturing, savings etc. are all affected and has to be taken into account.

I still want them to go up though For myself, being able to afford somewhere to live and having my savings bringing in some form of interest are more important but the BOE have the whole picture to look at, not just what's best for Drac......unfortunately. The whole UK economy being based around me would be good
Old 08 April 2004, 12:46 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OllyK
getting too close to election time - don't want to risk a major housing market crash
BoE is independent from the Government - this is one of the first things Tony did way back in 1997.
Old 08 April 2004, 12:48 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

quote: "My Bullsh*t detector just went into the red"

LOL well the jokes on you- an interest rate rise would have meant a rise of 4K on my mortgages. As it is I'm selling more property and pocketing the gains before the house of cards comes tumbling down.
Old 08 April 2004, 12:52 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

lol.....wheres the all "ohh, im gonna buy up all the property when it crashes" people now!

the housing market is fine, the age of first time buyers increases to allow people to buy the first time houses once they have some money....which is fine as the avarge age of everyone is up anyway.

hope all those smug ppl sat on their cash waiting to buy cheap property are please with their 2.234% yeild while my house does 15%+

T
Old 08 April 2004, 12:54 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

an interest rate rise would have meant a rise of 4K on my mortgages.
Ouch, sounds like somebody's burden of debt is way too large. My properties are all paid for. Interest on savings is what concerns me ATM.

UB
Old 08 April 2004, 01:00 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Thats a lot of caravans!
Old 08 April 2004, 01:03 PM
NACRO
BANNED

When you consider that some of the properties have risen 60% in value over 3 yrs, that I own 3 of them outright and that the rental income is double the mortgage I'd say things are under control.

However some of the property in the south east hasn't really risen at all over 18 months, therefore I'm flogging it for more or less the same price as others I disposed of last year. I'll then be sat on a nice capital sum and also be represented in the property market, albeit in the North where prices are still rising. Best of both worlds, but thankfully the interest rate has remained unchanged giving me a nice wodge of spare cash to waste.

Lol@ the caravan comment, I think you'll find you're more likely to be trailer trash than me, I'm minted!
Old 08 April 2004, 01:07 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think it was the Chancellor who handed responsibility for interest rates to the Bank of England.

Les
Old 08 April 2004, 01:25 PM
Geddon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
What's the hold up? The housing Market is over heated and needs a correction. I don't understand the Bank Of England.

UB
Try working in manufacturing in this hole of a country
Or does everyone else work in the service industry?
They should be going down if anything.
Old 08 April 2004, 01:28 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Can't see how being up to your eyeballs in debt is 'minted'. That's the kind of 'footballers wives' 'bling bling' delusion that so many in this country suffer from.

Still, what do I know?

UB
Old 08 April 2004, 01:35 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tiggs
hope all those smug ppl sat on their cash waiting to buy cheap property are please with their 2.234% yeild while my house does 15%+
The rate of return is typically a function of inflation and risk (both price and liquidity). If the market for my investments tanks I can get out within a few minutes of my chosen stop loss being breached. Try doing that with a portfolio of properties.

A 15% return is quite poor actually given the liquidity risks you have. My [non cash] investments have returned over 50% with very limited liquidity risks and have even given me a small amount of income too.

"smug" Suresh
Old 08 April 2004, 01:39 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"A 15% return is quite poor actually given the liquidity risks you have. My [non cash] investments have returned over 50% with very limited liquidity risks and have even given me a small amount of income too. "

my non cash investments have done the same...and i put up with the liquidity risk on my house as it lets me sit in it, keep warm and watch telly (pop idol normaly) so i cut it some slack
Old 08 April 2004, 01:39 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

I'll then be sat on a nice capital sum and also be represented in the property market, albeit in the North where prices are still rising.
Don't go too far up North or you'll end up having difficulty selling it like I did. What can I say? I was only 19.
Old 08 April 2004, 01:45 PM
NACRO
BANNED

quote: "Can't see how being up to your eyeballs in debt is 'minted'. That's the kind of 'footballers wives' 'bling bling' delusion that so many in this country suffer from.

Still, what do I know?"

Luckilly I don't have the facility nor the desire to watch low rent crap like footballers wives, but I'll take your word for it. I know you like your sedentary TV watching from all the crappy threads on here relating to it.

Not much from the sounds of it. Ever heard of gearing? Any assets I might have personally are ringfenced in such a manner that they are untouchable.

Just thought I'd make it known that not everyone wants interest rate rises to burst the south sea bubble we see a present in the housing market. I'm of a pessimisic nature when it comes to the prospects of this madness continuing. I've talked to lots of people who remember the way it went last time and it wasn't pretty.

Katana as a northern lad my self I know where the hot spots are, good idea was to pick a place that became a city recently, seeing house prices rise by as much as 60% over 4 yrs. Not a bad return.

Last edited by NACRO; 08 April 2004 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08 April 2004, 02:22 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

I don't have the facility nor the desire to watch low rent crap like footballers wives, but I'll take your word for it.
Ok. I haven't seen it either, just read about it. I thought it might appeal to you thuogh, as it espouses the same kind of morals and aspirations that seem to pervade most of your posts on this board.

I have to say I'm surprised you don't have the facilities to watch it though, as you often comment on other uk tv programmes. Still, inconsistancy is the norm with most of what you claim as 'fact'. So, I suppose it's what I should expect.

UB

Last edited by unclebuck; 08 April 2004 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08 April 2004, 02:34 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

<< works in our family manufacturing company, bloody tough as it is. I got more chance pulling a whale out of my **** than buying a property on my own, at 24.

im fubar eitherway really, lol anyone for a beer?
Old 08 April 2004, 02:38 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

thats why the avarage age of 1st time buyers is 27.

the 1st time market is fine..its just older than it use to be
Old 08 April 2004, 02:42 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
My properties are all paid for. Interest on savings is what concerns me ATM.
Don't you just love the self centred product of Thatcher's Britain?
Old 08 April 2004, 03:17 PM
NACRO
BANNED

quote: " have to say I'm surprised you don't have the facilities to watch it though, as you often comment on other uk tv programmes."

Well, moron, I'll explain it simply for you. I have a satellite dish, it points at Astra. It picks up various TV channels and ITV, CH4, CH5 (where this program you like to talk about is presumably on) are not available as they are encrypted. So take your suppositions and stick them up your ***.
Old 08 April 2004, 03:20 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Well dickweed started it...............it seems only right to give him back what he so obviously desires. Especially when he can't even be bothered to check his facts.
Old 08 April 2004, 03:23 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

thats why the avarage age of 1st time buyers is 27.
I'd better hop to it then, I'll be 28 soon and don't own my own property!
Old 08 April 2004, 03:24 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Have to agree with you tiggs despite being a developer myself with some 150 odd plots to build over the next couple of years and one hell of alot more than 4,000 to gain.

But if a crash occured we could end up with a huge outlay on infrastructure and work in progress and no buyers .
I was there in the thick of it in 1989/90 and i distincly remember getting that pit of the stomach feeling that it was all going to end in tears and I'm just starting to get that same feeling now

I know the countries trade deficit is bad but a bad housing market crash could be alot worse.
Old 08 April 2004, 03:34 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

a friend of mine just bought a 2 bedroom flat near me in the south east for 174k, i dread to think how much more the prices are going to go up. I would hate for their to be a crash and have lots of people in financial difficulties, but to be perfectly honest, a crash is the only thing that will get realistic first time buyers on the market. Unless as said by b2z first time buyers are earning 50k.

Quick Reply: No Rise In Interest Rates