Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone Live in Arborfield, Berks?

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2004, 12:18 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Live in Arborfield, Berks?

Thinking of buying in the area just under the garrison. Not on Penrose Park but just behind. Any locals on here and if so what do you think of the area?

Thanks,
Simon
Old 07 April 2004, 09:52 AM
T.C
Scooby Regular

Although I live in Woodley, my Mrs comes from the arborfield area and I still have a few friends who live there. Very nice area and arborfield village is very pleasant.

I often go for a meal at the Bull in Arborfield and locals always have time for a chat even though we don't live in the immidiate area.

I certainly would have no objection to living there.
Old 07 April 2004, 10:36 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Well it seems nice enough from what weve seen but its always wise to ask as many peeps as poss.

There is the Garrison but apparently its not in service and is reducing staff. Very quiet area and not too built up which is what we like. Nice greenery around.

Only pain at the moment is temp traffic lights for work in the village. Can back the traffic back up for a bit.

Have actually had an offer accepted on the house we are after so fingers crossed. Were looking at Woodley but it seems too built up for my liking (although airfield area is nice). Same distance to drive from where me and mrs work so Arborfield won.

Thanks,
Simon.
Old 07 April 2004, 12:12 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Its not a bad area IMO. We live in Shinfield which isn't far and I have done quite a bit of work over Aborfield. Its a pig of a place at the monent for traffic as theres 2 sets of traffic lights. One in the village by the Bull and another by BCS where a new roundabouts been built (god knows why?!?)

The Bull is quite nice, as is the Swan. The Bramshill is one place I havent been in to so cant really comment on.

Nath
Old 07 April 2004, 12:18 PM
John Catlin
Scooby Regular

Traffic jams are due to last quite a few months from Amorfield right the way to past Shinfield.

Various road and junction improvements.

Area not too bad and plenty of country side at the moment.

Watch out for future developements.
Old 07 April 2004, 12:19 PM
MrsP1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Talking

So is there any big things to look out for? Like Fair's coming to the village or Pikeys etc?

It seems such a nice area but you can never tell can you?

Ta,
Bex.
Old 07 April 2004, 12:23 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Luckily for me the que's are going the opposite way to where I go. Have a look at this link to Wokingham Council to see whats been approved by the P.D http://www.wokingham.gov.uk/sys_upl/...id=1537&tid=50
Old 07 April 2004, 12:53 PM
MrsP1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Anyone got anymore helpful links that we can take a look at for this area?

Ta,
Bex.
Old 07 April 2004, 03:16 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Hello

My sister and her husband live in Arborfield she lives opposite the garrison (Mkay, sorry couldnt resist) in front of the playing fields, I like the area, quiet green, nice sized house and land and so on, but she complains about the nightmare traffic every morning into Reading.

She told me last weekend when I was down there that the Army are selling the garrison, I dont know if they will build a small estate or not, local rumour is there will be houses but not in the hundreds, or at least thats what they are told, as the locality doesn't have enough big shops to support the propossed new homes, although I cant understand that, if that were the case surely they'd build shops amongst the estate, plenty of room there for many hundreds of houses, flats and so on, that land must be worth a fortune so I would guess they will sell to the highest bidder who will no doubt be a property developer, aparently the playing fields tennis courts are safe, how gracious!! The best local rumour was they were going to turn the area into a country part, something like Wellington Country park (does that place still exist??). I'd live round there just for the quiet!!

Hope that helped a bit.

Cheers

Dave
Old 07 April 2004, 03:51 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Well Im ok as I work weird hours so mostly miss rush hour. Plus we dont work in reading as such. Only have to get to Reading International Business Park (on the M4 Junction 11 Roundabout) which is only about 6 miles away.

Nothing particularly bad mentioned so far so cant complain. Plenty of farms around too so might have to get off my **** and sort out some vermin control with the air rifle.

Thanks,
Simon.
Old 09 April 2004, 01:33 PM
Huw Jorgan
Scooby Regular

Nice area, it did have a bit of a reputation 5+ years ago due to garrison and lots of squaddies. Area has improved a lot since Penrose Park has been built. Lots of good pubs in general area, although wouldn't enter The Bramshill, may have improved in recent years. If garrison is sold off I would put money on it going to developer. council need to build more houses in area. Government have also done a deal with a company called Annington, who buy ex MOD houses for next to nothing, give them a light refurbishment and then sell them onto Joe Public. They did this a couple of years ago in Arborfield and had buyers camping out for two weeks before sell off as they were 10% cheaper than other houses in area.