Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Digital Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2004, 07:57 PM
Distinguished Gentleman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital Cameras

I've got a 3 year old digital camera (Fuji Finepix 2800) and I know how much they have moved on since buying it. It takes really good pics and even at 2Meg they are pretty sharp. However, it all goes pear shaped when trying to shoot rally cars at speed (shutter lag being the problem) and I end up with lots of cars appearing into or disappearing from the shot.

I'm looking to update to a new digital camera and am cosidering a "top end" one, say up to £900ish. Can anyone offer some unbiased advice on the likely improvement to lag etc. that I can expect or any other tips as to what to look out for and what to buy?

John
Old 28 March 2004, 08:10 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

look on a couple of the websites, they allow u to compare various models side by side.

there are a few people on here who are photographers who i'm sure can recommend some good camera
Old 28 March 2004, 08:14 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

If you've got that sort of money to spend, you should seriously consider a digital SLR. The Canon EOS 300D will offer negligible shutter lag and, of course, will be able to take a selection of lenses - so you're not constrained by the focal lengths offered by the built-in lens. For motorsports I tend to use my 100-400mm zoom lens, although something like a 70-200mm might do equally well if you can get fairly close to the action. You do also get superb image quality - Canon's current crop of CMOS sensor based cameras are unrivalled IMHO.

If you can't quite run to a DSLR - and they can get expensive once you start adding lenses, flashes and other accessories - then the new Canon Pro 1 might be worth a look at £800. Not sure on shutter lag for that model, though.

One other option you could consider is a s/h D30 or D60 - they're quite incredibly cheap for what you get. My D30 went for just over £500, which was a good price but still ridiculously cheap for a camera that cost me £1800 just a couple of years previously. I used my D30 a lot for motorsports and got excellent results.
Old 28 March 2004, 08:14 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Cant go wrong with a high end Sony one or another Fuji one, i bought mine second hand for just 60 quid and it takes fantastic shots and has a quick shutter speed too (no blurry shots as yet) and i took a few at the pod today!

So a high end one will be fantastic!
Old 28 March 2004, 08:31 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Canon A80 and I love it, for taking normal snaps 800 quids worth of Digital SLR is well OTT.
Old 28 March 2004, 08:46 PM
Distinguished Gentleman
Scooby Regular

Unhappy SLR v Non SLR

Thanks for that AndyC 772. I also own an EOS300V so I could use my existing lenses. I did Have my heart set on a 300D but I've recently looked at the new Minolta Dimage A2 and the Nikon CoolPix 8700. Now I am totally confused as to which would be my best way forward. Bottom end DSLR or top end digitsl non SLR
Old 28 March 2004, 08:48 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

for taking normal snaps 800 quids worth of Digital SLR is well OTT
Well, yes - but for taking any photo that's not just a 'normal snap', it's an essential piece of equipment. A DSLR offers a much wider operating envelope than a compact camera in terms of shutter speed and aperture adjustment, focal length availability and compatibility with flashes and other accessories. They also normally offer better handling in terms of the speed and ease with which controls can be adjusted, a better viewfinder, faster focus and reduced shutter lag. Once you've used an SLR, a compact camera feels quite suffocating.

Don't get me wrong - the A80 is great at what it does - but don't knock an SLR until you've tried it
Old 28 March 2004, 08:53 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

You're looking at serious equipment there, so if I were you I'd definitely head for a decent camera shop (where are you based?) and play with them. Pick one that feels comfortable and that you'll enjoy using. I'd definitely go for the 300D myself, because I don't mind carrying around a pack full of lenses and accessories and I like having all the capabilities of an SLR available - but there's no point buying any equipment you won't actually carry with you. Definitely look at the Pro 1 when it comes out - I quite fancy one myself
Old 28 March 2004, 08:57 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Smile Andy's right as usual ;-)

If you've already got an SLR, then you know what you're talking about.

You can get a 300D body for just over £700 and you're away !

If I was after a high end fixed camera, I'd hold on a few weeks for the Canon Pro 1

Don't get too hung up on the nuber of megapixels any camera has - lens quality is way more significant.

Be warned though, a D-SLR will re-ignite your interest in photography - it could be the first purchase of many.......
Old 28 March 2004, 08:59 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

it could be the first purchase of many
How true, how depressingly true...
Old 28 March 2004, 09:40 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
How true, how depressingly true...
The man speaks the truth.

On the plus side, my 100-400 L IS turned up yesterday

Cheers

Ian
Old 28 March 2004, 10:00 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

I've just got a Canon EOS 300D (to compliment my EOS 5), and i'd say that would be a good way to go if you already have some canon kit. It was certainly a major consideration for me when looking for a digital camera, though i had no intention of going any way other than DSLR.

Don't knock the 300D for being a bottom end DSLR, think of it as simply more affordable. It's quite like a 10D with some features missing. I decided that i could live without the missing features for the sake of saving the £'s.

Have a look at some of the review sites to see what they have had to say, like www.dpreview.com

BTW, a good place to look for prices is uk.pricerunner.com

John.

Last edited by john_s; 28 March 2004 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Edited to make a clicky link.
Old 29 March 2004, 06:41 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

If you want to do it the easy way then you need an SLR, I used to use Nikons when I did it semi professionaly but they were 35mm. Now its just a hobby I have an EOS 300D and its fabulous. Even high end conventional digitals like the Nikon coolpix 5700 wont do 'action photography'. Who says so? Well Nikon do, I bought one and believe me its no better than the others, its the time to autofocus (even on follow focus) expose etc that means the car is gone and you have a nice picture of the scenery where it was!. Nikon replied to me telling me not to bother , buy an SLR they said.
But if you prefocus by pressing the shutter button half way down aiming at the spot where you want to take the picture then follow the subject and at the same spot you prefocused press the button the rest of the way down you should get good pics, use the viewfinder though and not the screen.
Good luck.
STEVE....................
Old 29 March 2004, 06:59 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

An SLR does appear the only sensible solution.

Like others have said, given that you already have a Canon, the 300D or the 10D (if funds permit) are the most likely candidates.

Darren
Old 29 March 2004, 07:37 AM
Distinguished Gentleman
Scooby Regular

Keep going, I'm swaying back towards DSLR!!!
Old 29 March 2004, 08:37 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

On second thoughts I'd really suggest going into somewhere like Jessops and asking to have a play with a high end fixed lens camera and one of the Canon DSLR's.

Its impossible to decide without having a play as one of teh cameras might not feel 'right'.

Darren
Old 29 March 2004, 09:30 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

I bought an Fuji S7000, because I felt it offered me a decent compromise between all the manual control I used to love on my 35mm SLR and point and shoot useability.

It even has manual focus to, which is has been quite a benefit.

I do miss the ability to change lenses, but I'm not up to spending £800+ at the monent

But, I have been very pleased with the results

Geezer
Old 29 March 2004, 11:33 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

For general photography the fixed lens digitals provide a fabulous range of functions, take superb pictures and are generally easy to use.
But this guy wants to do motorsport, so to have more than just 'luck' in getting what he wants he needs to go SLR.
The Canon EOS300D (or the Nikon D70) is amazing value for money and so easy to use.
Old 29 March 2004, 11:40 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My mate has just picked up his Nikon D70, he says dont go for the canon as they only have auto focus, the D70 has both auto and manual
Now considering that my mate also is an amateur photographer (hes got a few camera's like the Nikon F3 ) he swears by them.

Tony
Old 29 March 2004, 11:46 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Er, the Canon 300D does have manaul focus if you want it.

Has your mate seen the colour shifts across the frame from the D70 as has been extensively reported ?

Cheers

Ian
Old 29 March 2004, 11:52 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hes not had any problems with his D70 but as they have only been out about 1 week hes still playing around with it (but excellent quality pictures )

Tony
Old 29 March 2004, 01:42 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Keep going, I'm swaying back towards DSLR!!!
Go on... you know you want to

John.
Old 29 March 2004, 02:35 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

These are full frame (motorsport) images i took a week or so ago - try getting these type of images without a DSLR

http://www.milleners.eclipse.co.uk/3cs/

ps I should enter these in the 'Senses' photo comp under the title 'Proudness' - my son is the navigator in the MK1 Twin Cam His first event, but the engine let go (big time) literally 175 yards from the end of the final stage
Old 29 March 2004, 03:10 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Distinguished Gentleman

First off i don't know a great deal about photography , right now that's out of the way, i own a Minolta Dimage 7 (2 year old version of A2 for all) whilst it's a great camera i do wish i had more lense choice, dimage 7's is a 28-200 although there are a few teleconvertors which will fit (currently waiting to see what minolta's A2 one looks and is priced like)
If i was in your position i would be looking at either Canon 300D, 10D or a Nikon D70 as you already have a load of canon lense's there really is only two option left imho which canon

Some shot taken with my Dimage 7 here www.mrcookie.co.uk

Happy shooting whatever you choose

Si