Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bike Theft Part III - update

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2004, 02:14 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Hell of a story and no wonder you're steaming.

Last edited by Puff The Magic Wagon!; 24 March 2004 at 03:30 PM.
Old 24 March 2004, 02:21 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Steam away quietly, get a good lawyer and sting him big style in court.
I'm all for keeping the peace but like thats gonna work!! People get away with murder/rape etc nowadays. Do you really think the theft of a bike will really do much damage to him financially/personally? B2Z has been totally screwed by the court!!!

Old 24 March 2004, 02:27 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

That is terrible and symptomatic of the contemp the government currently has for ordinary decent citizens.

D

Last edited by Puff The Magic Wagon!; 24 March 2004 at 03:32 PM.
Old 24 March 2004, 02:34 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Would suggest you get your solicitor to write to him with the threat of court if he doesn't pay (which chances are he wouldn't).

I'm all for keeping the peace but like thats gonna work!! People get away with murder/rape etc nowadays. Do you really think the theft of a bike will really do much damage to him financially/personally? B2Z has been totally screwed by the court!!!
The courts do usually convict people properly, the problem is the sentencing sucks. As he has been done in court for the crime, he doesn't have much of a leg to stand on in small claims court, it is more a case of how much you get out of him there more than wether he will have to pay or not. Then no doubt he will claim he is broke and request to repay at £10 or something daft. Time to allow the baliffs to go round and seize goods to the value for jo public...

Last edited by Puff The Magic Wagon!; 24 March 2004 at 03:32 PM.
Old 24 March 2004, 02:41 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

can't understand why the courts didn't just order the costs against him in the first instance (even if it was at 10p a week ) - got to be something wrong there.
Old 24 March 2004, 02:55 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

that's b*llocks - so i suppose if someone is in the dock for mugging a granny they can get away with it by pleading guilty to stealing a mars bar from the corner shop? as for them saying claim on your insurance - well insurance wouldn't cost so much if they could be *rsed to do their job and recover money from ***** like this guy.
Old 24 March 2004, 02:58 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

What a joke.... so his punishment for stealing and trashing someones property was about the same as a 100+ mph victimless speeding conviction? Disgraceful.

I wish you all the best sueing him in the civil courts, maybe if you are lucky you can coincide it with this national Operation Payback scheme that is going on at the moment that is supposedly aiming at making compensation/fine dodgers pay up!
Old 24 March 2004, 03:12 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Group thump up anybody?

Like I give a shít who reads this, after all I could do with a holiday awarded in exchange for a slap or two.
Old 24 March 2004, 03:54 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Another fine example of how fukked up the UK is. If you do take him to civil court Bravo, do you think that you will get anything out of the ******? I know it's easier to say it, but it may be better to guard against throwing good money after bad, bite the bullet and let it go.
Old 24 March 2004, 04:00 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

A word of warning about getting revenge.

For some bizarre (and totally f**ked up) reason, the courts really hammer anyone who gets revenge on someone who the courts have let go scot free. I guarantee they would throw the book at you and give you the maximum sentence if you even gave the guy a moderate slap.

I wish I could say it was different here in Canada, but it isn't.
Old 24 March 2004, 04:09 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Angry

There doesn't seem to be an easy solution to this and I really feel sorry for you Bravo - these people really are pieces of **** and as usual, it's the honest people who lose out
Old 24 March 2004, 05:23 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

As a fellow biker I find this appalling. As someone else said ,that's the same penalty that's awarded for the victimless 'crime' of speeding.

Utter madness and a clear green light to this guy and his entire peer group to just carry on theiving.

Write to your MP and The Sun.

UB
Old 24 March 2004, 06:01 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

B20, sorry to hear all this. I can give you one miniscule piece of hope, which is that civil claims are on balance of probabilities, whereas criminal ones are beyond reasonable doubt - so, in some sort of utopian theory, it should be easy to prove whatever it is you need to prove and win your case.

However, I think your biggest problem, as you identified, is physically getting the money out of him, whatever the law says. Like a junkie asked to pay a fine, he'll probably have to rob someone else in order to pay you.

What about that criminal compensation thing, or is that just for physical injuries?

Good luck mate

Brendan

PS Why not park your bike outside his house with the wheel nuts accidentally not tightened?
Old 24 March 2004, 06:21 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Justice system in this country is a joke!.

Sorry to hear your story mate.
Old 24 March 2004, 07:16 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Bob - is the thieving scum local???
Old 24 March 2004, 08:05 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Funny that - as I'm in London "wiv me 'toolbox' very soon" !!!
Old 24 March 2004, 10:39 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Don't really know what to say... can things get any more stupid in the UK?

John.
Old 24 March 2004, 10:47 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Bob, YHM
Old 25 March 2004, 12:02 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
And to cap it off he pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of taking a vehicle without consent and therefore the damages the police had put if for for me wernt granted so I am £1600 out of pocket. I AM STEAMING ******* MAD.
I have had a similar experience. When I was at university, I had my car stolen (I reckon this was about 1993). OK, it was only a Vauxhall Belmont but it was all I had. Anyway, they managed to capture the car and the **** after he was clocked at 109 on the M20.
I didn't attend the court hearing (it was during hols, and I couldn't really afford to drive down there), but I got notification that he'd been given 100 hours community service. An application for the prosecution's costs (i.e. mine) were made, but they were refused "due to the defendent's lack of means". As you are, I WAS ******* STEAMING! What about the prosecution's "lack of means"? I paid 160 quid in parts to get the parts to fix it, and had to buy my mate a bottle of whisky to help me out (he even knocked up a tool to remove shear head bolts on the mech. eng. dept.'s lathe). 160 quid was a lot of ******* money when I was a student
Old 25 March 2004, 12:16 AM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

Wow, that's insane but sadly it doesn't surprise me. Very, very sad state of affairs.

It's clear what you need to do now. Just nick yourself a new bike. **** taxing or insuring it too. Not your problem. Won't be punished if you're caught anyway. Just don't speed
Old 25 March 2004, 09:52 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Angry

B2Z

Once you've calmed down I trust you realise that its best to refrain from any type of revenge untill all avenues of getting your money back are exhausted.

Then **** him over.

Very sorry to hear about this

Quick Reply: Bike Theft Part III - update