Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

old clock experts in the house?

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2004, 08:29 AM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old clock experts in the house?

I recently bought an early 19th century Frenck mantle clock which is running fast.

2 questions please:

1. can i safely correct the minute hand anticlockwise?

2. do I correct timekeeping using the silk pendulum spindle, ad if so which direction to turn it?

(thanks in advance, off to work now so I can't reply say/thanks to answers until late tonight)

Adrian
Old 24 March 2004, 08:49 AM
Tentenths
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zoog
I recently bought an early 19th century Frenck mantle clock which is running fast.

2 questions please:

1. can i safely correct the minute hand anticlockwise?

2. do I correct timekeeping using the silk pendulum spindle, ad if so which direction to turn it?

(thanks in advance, off to work now so I can't reply say/thanks to answers until late tonight)

Adrian
1) Technically you shouldn't, but on most clocks you can, but if you encounter resistance don't. Also do not move the hand past a "strike point" i.e. 12 on all striking clocks, 6 on some and 3 & 9 on any that strike on the quarters (latter unlikey on a French movement).

2)If its running too fast, the pendulum is "beating" too fast i.e. its swing needs to be lengthened so that it takes slightly longer to complete each beat.

Hope that helps.
Old 24 March 2004, 09:30 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

If it's anything like my later English (cheap) mantle clock, don't even contemplate moving the hand backwards, as you will either bend the ratchet fingers in the mechanism, or the hand will move on the spindle, thus bringing your strike points out of synch. On mine you can wind it forwards, i.e; 11hr Xmin, but I find if it's only running a few minutes fast, just stopping the pendulum for the requisite time works.
As Tentenths says lengthening the pendulum slows it down, shortening it speeds it up - just like an inverted metronome - but be careful it only needs small adjustments.
Old 24 March 2004, 07:52 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

thanks guys thats very helpful !