Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Street Parking and Neighbours

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2004, 07:42 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Parking and Neighbours

My Daughter's lad has a pug 1.6 - He regularly parks at the end of the drive - which DOES NOT stop anyone getting to their drives, but might mean that they have to drive better - and not just back straight out -

Anyhow, a couple down the road had a go at him tonight 'Why can't you park at the end of the road, out of the way ?'

They're not even opposite,-- Also, the couple opposite them (my next door) ALWAYS park at the end of their drive and the compainers have hit his car once !!

My question is - do they have any valid point or should they just sod off ?

Mark
Old 12 March 2004, 08:03 PM
Danbo
Scooby Regular

Some neighbours will complain about anything. My mum's next door neighbour would be the sort of person who would complain about this type of thing. Some people are just numpty's.
Old 12 March 2004, 08:25 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

burn their house down.

it's the only solution when it comes to parking disputes.
Old 12 March 2004, 08:37 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markwild
My Daughter's lad has a pug 1.6
I suspect if it had been a pug 1.4, they might not have been so annoyed?
Old 12 March 2004, 08:46 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Thanks Guys !

I feel better all ready ...

Burn it Down -

Mark
Old 12 March 2004, 08:48 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

hmm - Typo on my part - Actually a 1.1.... !

Last edited by markwild; 12 March 2004 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12 March 2004, 10:18 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

WHY can't he just park at the end of the road?

Might save ill feeling with neighbours. Can't be that much of a hardship. Everything doesn't have to be a war about who's right and who's wrong. Peace and all that. Most people don't complain for no reason. They must think somethings not right to go through the hassle of complaining.

Then again, there are a fair few people who complain for the hell of it! But given their your neighbours, you'd know if they're this type of people right? Do they usually complain about lots of stuff?
Old 13 March 2004, 07:48 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

They complained at the guy next door because he'd 'always got his garage door open at the weekend'....

He doesn't park at the end of the road, because some people who have more than 2 cars at their houses already do - he'd be accused of taking their spaces next !

Also, the 'complaining' couple's visitors always park at the end of their driveway...

My other neighbour's drive is only wide enough for 1 car, so his wife always parks at the end of her drive, but I don't see it as an issue .

To be honest, they're the sort of people who like 'a tidy street' and when they moved in there where no children in the street, so I think that they're finding it an issue.

I think it's likely that she'd had a bad day, and decided to take it out on him - he's only 19, and quite shy, so I think that he looks an easy target - She won't be saying it to me, cos she'll get a mouth full !! - In fact, I'd be surprised if I don't get the usual smiley wave with a 'good morning' when I go out -
Old 13 March 2004, 10:41 AM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Wink

These people clearly need to get out more.

I read a letter in the Telegraph Motoring section today from a chap who lives opposite a bloke who cones off the road outside his house (public highway BTW FFS) and has told the chap who wrote in that if he moves the bollards and parks his car there it will get vandalised

What an @arsehole.

The editor of the column told him to hire a white van with some muscle in it, move the bollards, park there and wait to see what happens

Cheers
Kav

Last edited by Mark Miwurdz; 13 March 2004 at 10:41 AM.
Old 13 March 2004, 10:56 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Surely if you park at the end of the road instead you are either:
Blocking the turning area (assuming a cul-de-sac)

Or otherwise you'll be parked within 10 metres (32 feet) or opposite a junction, which causes a dangerous hazard, is illegal, and would cause more irritation.

Sounds to me these people have far too much time on their hands - if they were busy working, they wouldn't be bothered or have the time to notice or complain. They wouldn't happen to be retired (cue ageist remarks ) ?

We have a problem in our street well, I do, with some of the vistors of some of our neighbours. All the houses in our street have drives, capable of parking 4 cars at the least, yet when visitors come they don't use the drives. Now this does'nt bother me, (but seeing they like to walk) apart from they opt to park directly oppoiste my drive rather than 15ft down the road (where is not blocking anyones driveway) - or using the drive

I only get annoyed as I often I have to manouver a LWB transit off our drive. I don't bother complaining though...unless I'm blocked in - I quite like to see the embarrased faces of their visitors when knock on the door and ask them to shift, where I point out the vast empty driveway that they could have used instead (arsey bugger aren't I ? )

Last edited by ALi-B; 13 March 2004 at 11:01 AM. Reason: early morning spelling woes
Old 13 March 2004, 11:32 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

markwild - get the kid to carry on parking as per usual. If they complain again then go have a polite word and explain the situation. Best to keep things polite at least.

bloke who cones off the road outside his house
LOL, are they called the Boswells?
Old 13 March 2004, 11:38 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I read a letter in the Telegraph Motoring section today from a chap who lives opposite a bloke who cones off the road outside his house
In this instance I would go and buy an old scrapper truck, park it outside the blokes house, let all the tires down and disable the engine. Here is the sneaky part.... when you buy it, you register it in his name, so when he calls the old bill to complain they find out its registered to him!
Old 13 March 2004, 11:46 AM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by ajm
In this instance I would go and buy an old scrapper truck, park it outside the blokes house, let all the tires down and disable the engine. Here is the sneaky part.... when you buy it, you register it in his name, so when he calls the old bill to complain they find out its registered to him!
You been taking lessons off Astraboy?

Cheers
Kav
Old 13 March 2004, 12:10 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

My neighbour brings back his council minibus every night, its a 20 seater bus with a huge overhang for wheelchairs. He parks it right outside my house all night and all weekend (not in use then) taking up at least two spaces as there is no space outside his because he parks 'his' two cars there. This really pisses me and everyone else in the street off as it makes reversing out of my garage a complete nightmare every morning, the bus is also near enough a junction to cause problems but not near enough to be illegal. It also means anyone visiting me including elderly relitives have to park in the next street.

The neighbours across the road became really annoyed as they have to do a 3 point turn to get in and out of their drive every day so they complained to the council and apparently have been told tough titty, he can park where he likes whenever he likes. All this just to save the lazy git a bit of free time in the morning a couple of quid in free fuel every week. A car being parked is therefore not worth complaining about compared to this sort of grief. Pisses me off that this is where your council tax money is going as well.
Old 13 March 2004, 05:22 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

I did tell the laddy to park in the drive and I'd park at the end - but he doesn't want to, as he feels its my house and I shouldn't have to park elsewhere ....

Anyhow, apparently they were outside in their drive when he pulled up this morning, but they didn't say anything - but I did notice that next door had parked on the street too - both sides, so they must have been having a fit !!!

I'd agree with comments regarding blocking access - but I also agree that parking at the end of the road (it is a cul-de-sac - they mean the entrance to the road) would obscure the entrance - two people already do that with their '3rd' cars .....

Anyhow, I think I'll let them sleep on it - I defo don't want a fight on my hands - BUT, if they mention it again, I'll have to 'slap em'.....

Mark

Last edited by markwild; 13 March 2004 at 05:23 PM.
Old 13 March 2004, 07:14 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

i would take no notice of the neighbour as why doesnt he park at the end of the street

had an old man opposite me complain about me parking my car outside my house when i 1st moved in as thats where he liked to park his car

hes only spoken to me to tell me off for parking outside my door so i just ignore the old git now

once he crashed his car pulling onto his drive and blamed me for having my car parked outside my door the idiot

parking outside your house is a privelege not a right so just tell the neighbour where to go
Old 13 March 2004, 07:57 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Just tell them to go and **** themselves.

Job done.
Old 13 March 2004, 08:03 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

have to afree with walwal.

I'd be parking outside their house just to annoy them from now on...
Old 13 March 2004, 09:49 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

my neighbours always park opposite my drive. It's a right pain as you can't get out without driving along the pathway. If a few cars are parrked up if I haven't reversed in basically Ic an't get out.

It is annoying - more so becasue the people that park there most live about three houses down the road and there is no reason they can't park in front of there house.

I'm considering just hitting there car.
Old 13 March 2004, 10:29 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

one question - does everyone on SN live in brookside?

Old 13 March 2004, 10:40 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
have to afree with walwal.

I'd be parking outside their house just to annoy them from now on...
Always amused at the "aggro" responses on here.
At the end of the day, you have to live next to your neighbours for the next x years. You really think the best option is to immediately cause aggro & ill-feeling? Trying to understand the reason for their initial reaction to this parking is the first step.

The best option is to try and keep the peace with neighbours by means of compromise. Quiet words and rational actions are best to begin with. OK, if ALL else fails and they are being irrational, then by all means get arsey.

However, IMHO, compromise & good neighbour relations are always preferable to aggro.
Old 13 March 2004, 11:12 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imlach
Always amused at the "aggro" responses on here.
At the end of the day, you have to live next to your neighbours for the next x years. You really think the best option is to immediately cause aggro & ill-feeling? Trying to understand the reason for their initial reaction to this parking is the first step.
At the end of the day, they started it. And I know it's not a case of tit for tat or stuff like that. The lad has done (from the way I read it), no harm to them whatsoever, but they decide they must stick their oar in and try to bully the kid.

Let him carry on parking where he parks now, if they say owt more, **** them off. At the end of the day, if they're this fussy about minor issues like parking, who would want to get along with them anyway for x amount of years?? Neighbours fall out all the time. You do your stuff, they do theirs.

**** happens.
Old 13 March 2004, 11:37 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol

I put up a similar thread a while back, basically my neighbours friend kept parking in a very annoying place. I could get in and out, but it was F-off tight and there were plenty of places on the road. Annoying parking is VERY annoying, but when its you parking the car then your just thinking of whats easiest quickest for you, generally your thoughts are likely to be "am I blocking anyone?? no, therefore no problem" though often this may mean your parking in a place that may p1ss people off!

This wound me up, like I say very tight yet lots of rooms 20 yards away on road

Last edited by ADP; 13 March 2004 at 11:38 PM.
Old 13 March 2004, 11:46 PM
Scoobs_4ever
Scooby Regular

At the end of the day, if it causing you stress you have two options

1. Carry on being stressed
2. Talk to them

either way, if you continue this the only person who is going to suffer is you.

Scoobs.

P.S. I'd let his tyres down if he parked in my drive or stick a potato up the exhaust.
Old 15 March 2004, 04:56 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

Difficult position but just remember at that ages boyfriends come and go more quickly than neighbours.
Old 15 March 2004, 05:05 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

This one is specifically for Jye.

Report the guy with the minibus to the Inland Revenue. Tell them how long he has been parking it there. They will get onto him for non-payment of 'benefit in kind' duties against the list price of the vehicle as if it were his own company car. Unlike with the police the burden of proof will be upon HIM to prove he hasn't been using it

This happened to a mate of mine who was taking the works pick-up home at night because they were fed up of it getting vandalised or nicked

WRT the other issue, if it is a public road & the only drive he is blocking is yours, he can tell the neighbour to get stuffed.
Old 15 March 2004, 06:28 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

break into their house and gut them like the filthy pigs they are....
Old 15 March 2004, 07:11 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Nice one Crisp, thats amazing. I would never have thought of this

Only thing is I'm such a nice dood. Perhaps I can post this advise to my neighbours across the road and they can do it, hehe
Old 15 March 2004, 07:34 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Jye, IIRC any commercial vehicle must have a specified location for storage off the public highway. I have a whingeing neighbour who used this against the guy opposite us who ran a garage (mechanic) and often left his delivery van on the road overnight. Same law that applies to JCB's. You can't just leave 'em anywhere, apparantly.
Old 15 March 2004, 10:37 PM
ChrisChennell
Scooby Regular

Sometimes neighbours can be hopeless. Thankfully mine are fine atm but I had a friend whos neighbour was pure evil - I parked outside her house - leaving room for two more cars to be parked there - nevermind their empty 3 car driveway and she comes out and looks pissed off, i left it, then she comes over saying my tax disc is out of date, i point it it isnt out of date, that shes looking at my parking permit, which is also in date and then she goes and complains to my friends parents saying i was rude????

My neighbours at home were fairly grumpy about me working on cars out there till one of them needed the brake discs and pads done on his bmw and the dealer was asking for something like 500 squid, told him where to get the parts privately and although it still cost him a lot because he wanted to keep the full main dealer history he saved about 200 quid off the bill. They were happy enough for me to do any work outside then

Quick Reply: Street Parking and Neighbours