Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Has Terrorism won in the USA?

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2004, 10:33 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has Terrorism won in the USA?

So, what do you think? Me? well, I think it has won. Why? well, the idea behind terrorisim is to instill fear and terror into your target, and I think that Al-Qeada has done that, helped by the fear inducing US media.

the US people tend to be a bit fearful at the best of times, I think the animated section of "Bowling for Columbine" sums things up rather nicely. So, all they needed was a little push over the edge, and 9/11 gave them that push.

I travelled in the USA pre 9/11 and security at airports was minimal, post 9/11 (from around october 2001 until july last year) there was this "increased security" protecting? yes, put in place due to fear? oh, certainly.

Now they have introduced this fingerprint and picture taking system, yet again, more security as they are so scared about letting in the terrorists.

And no doubt they'll add more levels of "security" onto this.

Is it making things safer? possibly, but I see it as them being scared silly and thus this is why I think the terrorists have won, fear has been struck and that's the idea!

what do you think? am I just mental?
Old 11 March 2004, 10:58 PM
King RA
BANNED

I went to the states in October 2001 and can say they behave in exactly the same way I imagine Brits would if faced by a similar tragedy. They are very strong about not giving in and have a great unitedness, something I am ashamed to say is lacking in Britain, pulling them together.

You say you see 'them' as being scared silly. If 'them' is the US goverment then I can quite understand them being scared. If your job is to look after the well being of your country and there is a load of nutters trying their hardest to screw things up then I imagine you would be scared sh1tless.

As for 'them' the American people, why don't you just ask one??
Old 11 March 2004, 11:07 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

would you not do everything in your power to keep your family safe from harm even if that meant friends and family telling you you where over reacting? For me this is the same as the USA and it's reaction to 9/11.

Poor question Markus in light of todays events.
Old 11 March 2004, 11:10 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

America has always been a pretty paranoid culture, from WW11 and the Cold War onwards. After the Eastern Bloc fell they needed a new 'satan' and now they have one.

Can't comment on their TV coverage of current events, but I know that when I visit the States, the TV news is pretty intense and 'black and white' in it's assesment of CWE's compared to dear old Auntie.
Old 11 March 2004, 11:23 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Nah - the idea that terrorism's goal is to instill fear into the victim is misguided. Terrorism is about getting what you want by instilling fear into the victim. Look at what localised 'terrorism' by the IRA has achieved compared to global terrorism from Al Q and ETA. For as many years as I can remember, the IRA has warned police and army about where and when bombs will go off. IIRC Eniskillen in 1987 was the last time they really got it wrong. Everyone hears about the bomb, but no-one gets killed. Everyone gets scared of what might happen if they didn't give warnings.
The 'Real IRA' on the other hand don't give warnings. They killed the people in the Omagh atrocity. They lost virtually all their support.
Most of the world think Al Q and ETA are a bunch of nutters. Most of America still gives money to fund the 'fight for freedom' in NI. Yet - at the end of the day - all these nutters are fighting 'the oppressor.' Ironic that in the case of ireland, the oppressor is Britian, and the funding for the fight comes from UK's bed buddy USA?
Old 11 March 2004, 11:39 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

"poor question"

..not really, the question also begs how has this been allowed to happen after Sept 11.

Of course the're scared-who would'nt be, that's why it called terrorism.

One way of looking at 9/11 is that is has opened the our eyes to the lengths these religous nutters will go to, this can only help to prevent future attacks due to a total worldwide increase in awareness, and hopefully increased security.

....so in answer to the original question, yes, but in no way have they won, they have just upped the stakes.

"Fear is a healthy trait, it proves your'e listening" ( mj,03.11.04 ).

Take the four poor mites just released for instance. They were detained for a reason. Now the cheeky ***** are sueing, and that slimeball [read:turd/******/baseball bat R'qd] Max Clifford is representing one of them ( according to radio 1 ). Why do the countries involved not recipricate the sentiment, and offer free of charge, instant death penalties for proven terrorists?

For a start this would free up about 20 googillian punts of our budget, and as a bonus the ****ers involved might think twice about signing to fanatic.com

3p.
Old 12 March 2004, 08:49 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

"poor question"

Quote the whole sentance next time
Old 12 March 2004, 09:08 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

I would have thought in light of recent events its a very pertinent question IMO
Old 12 March 2004, 02:01 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Fair point about today (or yesterday) not being the best day to raise this, however, as far as I am still aware (only just got into work) Al-Queada has not be named as the purpertrators of the crime.
Old 12 March 2004, 09:22 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Yep, terrorists have won. Though thinking about it, if you look at the US as terrorists as well then it a tricky one that.

Chip.