Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

MMR jab would you?

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2004, 09:08 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MMR jab would you?

Ok so our little one is due her MMR jab shortly and with all the crap thats been flying around in the press its a real do we or dont we. Im interested in other parents thoughts and what action they took.

thanks

Gary
Old 11 March 2004, 09:15 AM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

both my kids have had it

it was a case of

have the MMR jab and the chance of being one in a million with side effects

or

have your kid contract M,M or R
Old 11 March 2004, 09:43 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Mine had it without hesitation. Much of the negative press has since been debunked as based on poor research. You are storing up problems if you do not immunise your kids, especially with the increased risk of an outbreak going forward due to so many kid's not getting done today.
Old 11 March 2004, 10:07 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

as above

Dan
Old 11 March 2004, 10:15 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

thx guys
Old 11 March 2004, 10:28 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Another vote for just doing it, both my son & daughter were done -- don't believe the hype in the Daily Mail and mid-brow tabloids.

My other half's a medical writer with access to dozens of studies worldwide on MMR vaccines.

If you read the original Lancet article which started all the debate, it makes NO causal link between MMR and autism at all. It only suggests a possible link between bowel inflammation / problems and autism.

The MMR / autism link is NOT supported by the rest of the team that did the study that was published in the Lancet. They have disowned Andrew Wakefield's statements following the report's publication.
Old 11 March 2004, 10:32 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

My daughter had single jabs.

Trending Topics

Old 11 March 2004, 10:35 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

We gave Ez the MMR & Booster

Despite being related closely to the solictors working the MMR case and receiving a look at all their information direct.

In my mind, risks appear higher of contracting MM or R without a jab than Autism with a jab by quite a margin.

It is worrying being a new parent with the total responsibility for a little person
Old 11 March 2004, 10:39 AM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

Yep, had my son done too, mainly because one of my mums friends went deaf after have Measles and wouldn`t want my son suffer unneccessarily with an illness.....chances of her getting her autism are fairly slim but look along your family tree to see if anyone has got any disabilities(does that make sense)!!!!!
Failing that make an appointment with your nurse at the surgery and they will be very helpful.

Joan.
Old 11 March 2004, 11:06 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

For ALL your information.

Measles is rocketing in the UK due to all this baloney.
It is a worrying trend and is alarming the health professionals.

Don't be silly & believe the £hit in the press about it. Autism is a TINY risk and is not even proven. Measles is FAR worse potentially.

Last edited by imlach; 11 March 2004 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11 March 2004, 11:10 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

The worrying trend is that all this £hit makes parents wary of their children having ANY jabs!
Old 11 March 2004, 11:12 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Yep all 3 done, and the 4th will be too
Old 11 March 2004, 11:35 AM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

MMR to the first one and the tiddler will have it soon. Only proviso we made was that they wouldn't have it if they weren't 100% healthy on the day.
Old 11 March 2004, 11:46 AM
blair
Scooby Regular

Definitely plan on giving my daughter the MMR jab

I'm starting a campaign at nursery as well to get kids who haven't had innoculations (either triple or single) excluded as they pose a threat to the younger kids who aren't old enough yet to have the jab
Old 11 March 2004, 12:51 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

first one had it 11 years ago ..........ok

second one had it 3 months ago .......ok

i know its a tough one but the way we looked at it was...

you can catch measeles (spellink) mumps and rubella from contact with

infected persons...

you cant catch autism...

there are some very good books about autistics who have overcome there problems and now lead normal lives,,,

i believe you have got to look at where you are today did you have the jab??

MArt
Old 11 March 2004, 01:00 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

The worry is this: "what if I allow my child to have the MMR jab and then they develop Autism". All the talk in the world won't make you change your mind that its a coincidence and you feel responsible. This was my way of thinking when it was our turn to make the decision.

Our daughter had her jab early last year when the debate over MMR was still at the front of peoples minds and it was a very hard decision to make. She did have the MMR and shes absolutely fine. You must way up the pros and cons and make your own decision but either singles or all in one they must be inoculated.
Old 11 March 2004, 01:02 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I'm in a similar position to mart360 : eldest had it done 11 years ago, and the newbie was done not so long since, despite all the press controversy. The benefits far outweigh the risks.
I think the whole MMR/autism link is just coincidence : the age when kids are ready for the jabs is also the age when autism can be first diagnosed. So irrespective of having the MMR jabs a child with a propensity to autism will get it regardless of any injections.
Old 11 March 2004, 01:56 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

No age limit
Old 11 March 2004, 01:59 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

My daughter had it, no hesitation at all.
Old 11 March 2004, 09:14 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

I have many doubts about the MMR vaccine, and the Private Eye Special Report - "MMR - The Story So Far" (See http://www.private-eye.co.uk/ for purchase details) only confirms my fears.

I also think that the government spin machine, whilst trying to destroy Andrew Wakefield's credibility by any means whatsoever, is also over-emphasising the danger of Measles, Mumps and Rubella.

Just for the record - as a child, i had Measles, Mumps and Rubella (i actually had measles and rubella simultaneously) - and i am here to tell the tale.

Sure, take measures to protect babies, children or adults from danger - but don't introduce other, potentially unknown, dangers at the same time!!!

I would go for single vaccines!!

mb
Old 11 March 2004, 09:57 PM
BexTait
Scooby Regular

Location: Drink, drink, wherever you may be, we are the drunk and disorderly (owner of 5 fairy tokens)

Both myself and my 2 fellow siblings had it when we were little, with no effects.
Old 11 March 2004, 10:40 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
I have many doubts about the MMR vaccine, and the Private Eye Special Report - "MMR - The Story So Far" (See http://www.private-eye.co.uk/ for purchase details) only confirms my fears.

I also think that the government spin machine, whilst trying to destroy Andrew Wakefield's credibility by any means whatsoever, is also over-emphasising the danger of Measles, Mumps and Rubella.

Just for the record - as a child, i had Measles, Mumps and Rubella (i actually had measles and rubella simultaneously) - and i am here to tell the tale.

Sure, take measures to protect babies, children or adults from danger - but don't introduce other, potentially unknown, dangers at the same time!!!

I would go for single vaccines!!

mb
If you choose to believe the hype of Private Eye over real world NHS health professionals that ARE seeing increased incidence of measles, you are bonkers....the point is, all this scaremongering is putting people off getting ANY jags. This is SERIOUSLY bad news. Articles like those do not help.

Last edited by imlach; 11 March 2004 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11 March 2004, 11:11 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Garry
we are in the same situation, i heard a report on R4 or 5 live stating that many of the doctors that flaggd up the problems had withdrawn their support and thought it was fine (last week i think)

I am still erring on the side of caution and we are enquiring about seperate jabs.

I want to do the right thing by our daughter, i would not be able to live with myself if i had done or been party to anything that had done her harm.

I will watch this thread with much interest and i am looking into the options and what they entail.
Old 11 March 2004, 11:17 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

....until the next report comes out that states that, funnily enough, the risk of autism is the same with the separate jabs (ie, no connection in reality), or even worse, there is a risk of something ELSE with the single jabs.

You'd all do well to worry more about the chemicals in the food they eat, the water they drink, and the environment they have to live in! MMR is a tiny worry compared to all of those.....most drugs/medicines come with side effects of one form or another. Most are trivial, or if non-trivial, affect only a tiny tiny percentage of users. That's why drugs are thoroughly tested before use. OK, some slip through such as thalidomide, but withdrawn as soon as problems became apparent. MMR has been around for a while.

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own free choice, and can make their own minds up, but I am continually disappointed by the innaccuracy of the UK press.

Newspapers, hype, copies, sells.....rearrange.

Last edited by imlach; 11 March 2004 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11 March 2004, 11:29 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Us poor parents, holding the most precious thing in the world... Christ! I am angry about this conjecture/misseducation/partisanism; how is the layman to decide?

Ohh I'm sure it will probably be alright... And then I look my gorgeous bright healthy smiling 6 month old in the eye and try to 'decide' for her...

Help...
Old 11 March 2004, 11:45 PM
787b
Scooby Regular

Autism and the related Aspergers is almost exclusively suffered by boys.

The trouble with single jabs is that parents forget.

If it's a girl get an MMR jab. If it's a boy get single jabs but for pitys sake don't forget.

I've never heard of anyone recovering from Autism. It's a life sentence for parents and sufferers. It ain't like Rainman either. Less than 10% of children on the autistic spectrum have any kind of gift.

Tony Blair refuses to confirm whether his son Leo had an MMR jab. If Leo had the jab I suggest it would be in Blair's interest to say so. Make of that what you will.
Old 11 March 2004, 11:48 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 787b
Tony Blair refuses to confirm whether his son Leo had an MMR jab. If Leo had the jab I suggest it would be in Blair's interest to say so. Make of that what you will.
...and this just adds to the hype. Whether he did or not, would you base your judgement on that fact!?

If he did have MMR, you think it's probably untrue.
If he didn't have MMR, you think it's unsafe.
If no comment is made, you assume he didn't.
If he protects the privacy of his kids, everyone again thinks it is a cover-up.

Add some spin, and who the f**k knows what the hell he had!

For what it's worth, I don't personally base my decisions on those of the prime minister.

Last edited by imlach; 11 March 2004 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12 March 2004, 08:12 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

did blair drive leo to the gp in his car?

i hear these car things can crash...to much risk!

Quick Reply: MMR jab would you?