Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

sat-nav + speed camera detector?

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2004, 01:10 PM
G4RUD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sat-nav + speed camera detector?

does anyone know of any product that can do both sat-nav and speed camera detection. I would get each separately but I thought there must be something around which could do both functions.

Cheers,

Graham
Old 09 March 2004, 01:28 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Don't know of any yet, but its only a matter of time before someone combines them.

You can mark a waypoint on your sat nav whenever you see a speedcamera to get a reminder for next time, but it doesn't help if your driving somewhere new!
Old 09 March 2004, 01:32 PM
G4RUD
Scooby Regular

I've just been looking at PDAs with a navigation add-on. It is also possible to add on a speedcamera detector. Does anyone have a set-up like this? if so, is it recommended?

the saga continues....

Graham
Old 09 March 2004, 01:32 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

you have 2 options that I know of.

I went for option 1, I setup option 2 for my parents.

1. Road Angel gps speed camera detector. and A PDA running TomTom Navigator 2.
I have just replaced my 3970 ipaq fro a new 2210 reason being it has a 400mhz cpu and both SD and CF sockets.

Rough costs
Roadangel £330
Lifetime subs £100
Ipaq 2210 £ 240
128mb SD card £ 20
TomTom £115
brodit proclip £16
carcomm 2210 £ 60
active holder with serial lead (nead this to connect to the roadangel).

www.handnav.co.uk has the brodit stuff, check expansys for the pda price, www.pocketgpsworld.co.uk for reviews including the carcomm stuff, www.carcomm.nl

Option 2
Use a PDA such as the Ipaq 2210 with a proclip etc, you can use a cheaper brodit mount as you do not need the serial lead. same tomtom software and memory card. but instead of using a road angel use a normal gps mouse. there is a camera database available as a plugin for tomtom that is free !!. details on pocket gps world.

Rough costs

Rough costs
GPS Mouse £80
Ipaq 2210 £ 240
128mb SD card £ 20
TomTom £115
brodit proclip £16
brosit passive mount £30

as you can see the non roadangel route is a lot cheaper, but has a few drawbacks, the database is not as complete or accurate as the subscription ones IMHO. it takes a long while for new databses to come out. but for a freebie it is excellent.

The roadangel is the only gps camera device that offers gps output as far as I know.
Old 09 March 2004, 01:39 PM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

how does the road angel interact with the ipaq?? it flashes on the screen of the pda? or you still rely on the unit itself for warnings?
Old 09 March 2004, 03:15 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

you use them independently, the road angel works as normal put passes the gps position out of the serial port to a laptop or pda ect and can be used by any sat nav software the supports nmea v2 at 4800 or 9600 depending on road angel revision.
Old 09 March 2004, 03:39 PM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

so u need an rs232 cable?? in ur car? sounds a bit big, i would love to have an all in one option, i already have the road angel but dont wanna hard wire it all into the car, anyway good info thx

Trending Topics

Old 09 March 2004, 04:03 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

ive hardwired mine.

rs232 cable plugged into the roadangel and is run down the back of the dash, the carcomm unit is all moulded with one cable that splits into 3 plugs at the end , power , rs232 and ps2. this goes into the central console and is hooked up to power and the serial cables meet here, you do not see any cables, except the road angel laser alert and the cable coming from the carcomm holder dissapearing into the dash. no more untidy than a mobile phone car kit imho.

you just have to be inventive with how you install it.
Old 09 March 2004, 04:37 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Just swapped my RoadAngel for a iPAQ 2210 + Tom Tom Bluetooth GPS + UK Speed Trap POI.

Basically you can down load a POI (points of interest) file which overlays onto the Tom Tom maps, one happens to be a speed camera file. It works much like the RA but shows the cameras on the maps as you are driving and gives you audible warnings. So you can have a route planner and speed camera warning system all combined. The people who maintain the camera file are keen to keep it upto date and so far it seems to work very well.

Just remembered I also have the very important Shell Optimax garage overlay!

Last edited by sillysi; 09 March 2004 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09 March 2004, 04:41 PM
hybwrx2002
Scooby Regular

look on ebay. I picked up 2 great deals on there. Full kits.
Includes the pocket pc, tom tom navigator (the best gps route software around)
CF Gps receiver (Very fast tracking) with suction mount, all for 350ish
Old 09 March 2004, 04:46 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

the origin b2 also offers gps aerial output.
Old 09 March 2004, 07:54 PM
G4RUD
Scooby Regular

thanks for all the info, it's very helpful. I may go the ebay route as I think it'll work out a lot cheaper. If I can convince myself that the road angel option is worth the extra money then I'll go for it.

If I set up the road angel with the PDA, is it possible to remove the PDA for use outwith the car?

Cheers,

Graham
Old 09 March 2004, 10:06 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

You can disconnect the RA from the PDA but you will not have GPS navigation out of the car. If you use a CF Card GPS or a Bluetooth GPS then you can use the full navigation of Tom Tom when walking, biking etc. I have used both the RA and now the ipaq option and much prefer the ipaq, just in the process of getting a GSM/GPRS phone card for it so I will then have, route planning, speed camera & phone all in one neat little unit.
Old 09 March 2004, 10:37 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by sillysi
If you use a CF Card GPS or a Bluetooth GPS then you can use the full navigation of Tom Tom when walking, biking etc.
Yeah, I wish I had that when I got caught walking past a speed camera the other day!
Old 09 March 2004, 10:45 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Hope you smiled at the camera
Old 09 March 2004, 11:01 PM
Smiler1
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up iPAQ GPS for sale

Hi Guys
I am currently selling my iPAQ GPS system with Gatso detection

It consists of the following

• iPAQ 3630 No scratches, good battery, 2 styluses 2 protective cases, cradle and power pack.
• Compaq PCMCIA Jacket with built in battery - doubles the bat power
• 128MB flash card - preloaded with TomTom 2 full GB map
• PCMCIA to compact flash adaptor - also handy if you have a laptop
• USB retractable sync/charge cable
• Hiacom GPS mouse
• 2 connecting cables for the above – I hard wired one into the Scooby and used the when driving the wife’s car
• Brodit iPAQ mount with vent clip – allows you to move it between cars

Software
• TomTom 2 Navigator http://www.pocketgpsworld.co.uk/tomtomnavigator2.php
• GPS assist – used with a down load of Gatso sites and it acts in the same way as a road angel i.e. alerts you to the Gatso as you approach it, it also dose a fair bit more, have a look at http://www.pocketgpsworld.co.uk/gpsassist.php

I can send pics to anybody if they are interested, this is all ready to go and with the 2 cables you can discreetly mount one to your main car with only the wire for the iPAQ showing and to use it in another car just unplug the GPS mouse and fit the mount to the car and your away.

Cheers
Iain

Last edited by Smiler1; 09 March 2004 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10 March 2004, 09:35 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

If you go for the PDA / TomTom route, check out the link to CheckPoint on the TomTom web site. It works with standard POI files and works very nicely thank you with the Speed Camera ones, including keeping track of your average speed through SPECS and best of all it is free!
Old 10 March 2004, 09:42 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
If you go for the PDA / TomTom route, check out the link to CheckPoint on the TomTom web site. It works with standard POI files and works very nicely thank you with the Speed Camera ones, including keeping track of your average speed through SPECS and best of all it is free!
That's what I use and so far can't fault it. I got Checkpoint and the POI files from www.pocketgps.co.uk. It is them who maintain the Speed Camera database.
Old 10 March 2004, 12:58 PM
lozzaloz
Scooby Regular

The BEST system is Smartnav, which is sat nav and has an optional speed camera database upgrade too.

It'll even navigate you around traffic jams if you like

www.gps-systems.co.uk

These other PDA systems are ok if you don't mind it going wrong half the time, and from what I've heard the Road Angel cable job doesn't work either.
Old 10 March 2004, 01:40 PM
Smiler1
Scooby Regular

Smile

Never had a problem with TomTom 2, its always got me to where I want to go. Its even shown me a couple of short cuts in my home town and I've lived there for 30 years!!

The NavMan stuff (IMHO) is not as good but the TomTom setup works very well.

Iain
Old 10 March 2004, 02:07 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

I can only speak from my experience and have only used Tom Tom 2. It has never gone wrong once or got me lost, something I used to do regularly on my own
Old 11 March 2004, 08:53 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

erm road angel cable job doesnt work what where did you get that gem from, ive used it for for 18 months now and it works perfectly. And so simple, yeah sure if you try and bodge it with the wrong equipment it will not work but do things properly and it works fine.

TomTom is superb I have used it in England, France Belgium Italy and canada. and it is fantastic. and with all the POI addins you can get the world is your oyster.