Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Digital camera rechargeable batteries.(Dimage 7i)

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2004, 11:30 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Digital camera rechargeable batteries.(Dimage 7i)

OK, I have a Dimage 7i, and it EATS batteries.
Not only that, but charged sets won't hold their charge for more than a couple of weeks.

They are all NiMH batteries, from different reputable manufacturers, ranging from 1700mAh to 2100mAh, but the other week I went out with it without recharging every set, and managed 3 photos on fine, before it had had it.

Am I doing summat wrong, or is the camera just crap?

Alcazar
Old 09 March 2004, 11:50 AM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Hi mate

I don't know that particular model but check to see if there's any power saving options in the menu - does it switch itself off after a period of inactivity?

Cheers
Kav
Old 09 March 2004, 12:11 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Oh, yeah, it powersaves like mad, it's just that when it IS in use it's VERY greedy, and the batteries won't hold charge over time, even though they are new.

I can't understand it...............my camcorder battery will hold charge for a couple of MONTHS or more, The stupid batteries for the Dimage won't hold it for more than a couple of WEEKS.

Alcazar
Old 09 March 2004, 02:07 PM
BexTait
Scooby Regular

Location: Drink, drink, wherever you may be, we are the drunk and disorderly (owner of 5 fairy tokens)

have you tried the batteries in another device eg game boy or something (assuming they're AA) that'd give you an idea as to whether its the batteries or the camera?
Old 09 March 2004, 03:09 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

How are you charging them? In a NiMH designed charger, right? My Kodak DX3600 camera lasts many times longer with after market batteries charged in a proper NiMH charger than with its OE batteries charged up in its cradle, even though the Kodak ones are higher capacity. The Kodak charger charges too quickly I think. I had to make sure I was charging the Kodak battery up the night before I wanted to use it, every time. With a Uniross charger and 2Ah Frameart NiMH cells, I can leave it a couple of weeks between charges when taking 10 or so shots every few days. Even with Uniross 1300mAH cells it will last much longer than the OE.

As for the NiMHs losing charge over time, that's just a property of the batteries you'll have to live with, NiCDs do it too. You lose around 10% in 24hrs then 10% every week with NiCDs IIRC, think I read that in an r/c flying magazine article.
When the cells are new it's said to be best to cycle (always fully charge and discharge completely) them fully for the first few uses (and periodically throughout their lifetime) to get the best out of them, despite the "no memory effect" claims about NiMHs. Also don't leave a load on a flat battery, that's said to be bad for them too.

I recently bought this for my dad (and swiped 4 of the cells for myself ), very good value if it sorts your problems out.

Hope that helps.

Ben
Old 09 March 2004, 05:53 PM
Nick100
Scooby Regular

Also you should not leave a NiMH battery fully charged for any length of time (weeks / months ??). I think they have charge gauges in them and if you charge it up fully and leave it for a few months it will go flat without knowing it. When you come to use it or charge it again it all goes wrong.

Best to leave them flat if you're not going to use them much and charge them up just before you need them - pain but may get better life.
Old 09 March 2004, 06:07 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

My Dimage 7 likes batteries to, i have 4 sets but i can shot 50-100 shots depending on how trigger happy i am feeling, not sure wha media your using but iirc micro drives use up more power too

Si

Trending Topics

Old 09 March 2004, 07:05 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

I use some 2200 Batteries, and a set of 1800 in my Dimage 7 i can easily fill my memory card with a few hundred shots without any probs, i rarely use a flash tho!