Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTTT
Old 09 March 2004, 01:55 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

some advice / comments:

firstly, the quoted £250/day is the maximum you can "expect" to earn if you're fully utilised.. and that's BEFORE petrol/transport maintenence costs.

if you're travelling circa 500 miles a day, then i would anticipate a LOT of that £250 will get eaten up on petrol, insurance, depreciating the van, maintenence etc etc. and it's quoted before tax too.

furthermore, i have a problem with them selling a guide for £40. if there REALLY was a business model where they could earn £250/day, why are they selling "how to do it" for £40 when they could get the work themselves for £250/day (several times over) and employ a few drivers for circa £50/day each. or sub-contract the work out.

im SURE there is a business model there... but not in the £40 book. its probably more likely that for your £40, you'll get a yell.co.uk type listing of courier companies to cold-call.
Old 09 March 2004, 02:16 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I covered this question a few weeks back

The only person making money here is the author
Old 09 March 2004, 02:35 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Couple of facts that scream out there.

Firstly, as a rule, you only charge/get paid for on a 1 way basis - ie A-B, so 60p there & 40p back a fallacy. You can get paid for a wait and return if that is what the customer wants but normally return done at discount.

Rates currently to customers (not in London) for a Small Van are about 80/85p per mile. Quite often it is lower than that, I know of 66p mile being charged, so there maybe less as well. £1 mile is possible but prepare to be undercut by the next man along. Rates to self-employed drivers are @ 50/55p mile (paid by courier companies) & again sometimes less.

The average working day of a freelance courier is 6-8 hours
Yes? PMSL & certainly not if you're earning anywhere near £1k per week or half of that!

You would be your own boss and be free to choose how many days and hours you work
To an extent, but can't be arsed one day & you won't be asked the next.

There's going to be some interesting developments in the sameday courier industry over the next couple of years. Hopefully I'm developing some now

One of them is creating automatic back-loading systems o that couriers do earn in both directions. The adverse effect of that is that if you only need 1 courier to do 2 jobs, you'll need less couriers, so competition will increase, leading to lower prices etc

It is a cut-throat business out there with very tight margins and those margins are passed onto the couriers at any opportunity. To earn even anywhere near what that book is promising, you'll have to be extremely hard-working, flexible, good, reliable and lucky.

Can be satisfying and rewarding in a non-monetry sense though.
Old 11 March 2004, 11:53 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

how the **** can you earn money at 55p per mile. drive one hundred miles there get paid fifty quid then drive 100 back having spent twenty notes on diesal maintanence and insurance and thats most of the day over with.
Old 11 March 2004, 12:45 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

+ depreciation, insurance, maintenance etc etc etc

Trending Topics

Old 11 March 2004, 01:55 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I take it self employed courier drivers work all hours then a need to get return deliverys to make any cash ?
Old 11 March 2004, 02:23 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Ways & means

"Double Ups" are what are needed - taking 2 or more packages in the same direction from different customers (sometimes the same) at full rate for each. 3 packages into London from Leicester works out quite well.

Yes, then getting a return load obviously helps.

Lots of short journeys at minimum charge, so 15 short journeys @ £5 a time

Etc

Its not the £££ the above book explains but it is possible to make a reasonable living out of it, if you're good and work hard.
Old 11 March 2004, 02:35 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I have seen the adverts for how to make 1500 a week from being a courier and it had to be rubbish otherwise everyone would fo it but how much do you think good couriers can earn realistically . I assume they can be 'selective' on tax and a bit of red diesel wouldn't go amiss either. The otherthing is how many courier companies actually need drivers they can employ full time or do drivers ave to work for lots of companies and get work where they can ?
Old 11 March 2004, 06:00 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Firstly

Tax - you are self-employed and you have to fill out and register an annual tax return. Upto to you what you declare etc but the tax man is not a fool.

Red Diesel - Again, upto you but tbh there is not much point.

Right, now we've got the pie/sky out the way.

London bikers earn an average of £450-£500 per week and cover approximately 200 miles in a 10 hour day. Good ones earn £650/700 per week but will put in longer hours.

London van drivers earn £350/400 per week on average but with higher expenses.

Out of town van drivers will earn roughly the same but cover a greater mileage.

I used to average £600/650 per week last time I was on the road (bike - London) but I put in the hours & I'm good/experienced.

If you're prepared to do eves/week-ends as well then you'll earn more obviously at the expense of less time off.

So GOOD van drivers in/out of town who are hard-working £550/£650

So GOOD bikers in town (not many outside of m25) £650/750

In London, you generally work 100% for the same company all the time.

Out of London & outside major cities, then it'll be a bit more hit & miss as to whether you're 100% for one company or work for a number. At the end of the day, it comes down to whether a courier company has the work for you.
Old 11 March 2004, 06:12 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

...i saw this site today as well ..looks like a money makin possibility - for the author