Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Supermarket meat. The facts.

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2004, 08:11 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Supermarket meat. The facts.

Been rumoured that supermarkets add substances to their meat to keep it looking fresher for longer.

Was told by Sainsburys today that they add to their fresh meat:

Water
Water is added to improve tenderness and succulence. The water is lost during
cooking so that the natural moisture in the pork is retained.

Salt
Salt is added in very low levels to improve moisture retention and flavor.

Phosphates
Phosphates are added to hold moisture in the meat, and they also have a natural tenderising affect

Makes you wonder what else they put in their food doesnt it. Can only be thankful I dont buy their bright red saline, phosphated meat.

Chip.

Last edited by Chip; 01 March 2004 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01 March 2004, 08:24 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Guy i work with was a trainee butcher a long time ago for a supermarket and he said that they used to put blood in to mince to give it that nice red raw look !!!

simon
Old 01 March 2004, 08:29 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Is it not law in the UK, that the ingredients must be displayed on a label of the product?

I hardly think any of the big supermarkets are going to start ignoring the law, they have too much to loose.
Old 01 March 2004, 08:31 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Dont think so. After all, when you buy a fresh loaf it doesnt have a list of ingredients on it. May be different for packaged goods though.

Chip.
Old 01 March 2004, 08:34 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Very true, good point.
Old 01 March 2004, 08:36 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Do phosphates cause a problem to the body then?

TBH i don't care what's added to food as long as it looks good, tastes good, and doesn't cause health problems (that un-treated fod wouldn't )

Andy
Old 01 March 2004, 11:14 PM
JayPSC
Scooby Regular

Hmm, my mate works at a place that supplies the meat to tesco - put it this way, he's told me to never buy any from there, meat well past it's sell by date etc
Old 01 March 2004, 11:22 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Tesco are the most stringent when it comes to their food, IMHO. I know people who deliver for them and the amount of food that gets turned away for the slightest blemish or because the crate was open is ridiculous.
Old 02 March 2004, 01:48 AM
scoobypreza
Scooby Regular

Mr.Scoobypreza went to a cheese factory to train the lads on the forklift truck.
They told him how they get all the mouldy cheese back from supermarkets and they re-process it. They scrape off the mould and re-process to get rid of live bacteria.

If you have cheese that goes hard in the fridge and not mouldy its because its been re-processed. So its second hand cheese

I'd noticed that some cheese goes mouldy and some went hard but had never thought about it. It freaked me out big time when he told me why it happens!!!!!! uuugghhhh!!
I think if we knew half of what happened to our food before we got it we'd never eat.
I'm a bugger for not washing salad stuff or fruit. I know I should but I'm lazy!

cath
Old 02 March 2004, 07:04 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Yeah, let's go back to the days when we have to kill our own meat, I'm sure that'd be more palatable for us. Group buy on bolt guns?

And live bacteria is heavily involved in the manufacture of cheese. Doesn't stop you eating it though, does it?

Anybody here actually ill from eating supermarket meat or cheese? No, didn't think so.
Old 02 March 2004, 07:16 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I have been round a meat processing plant... it was quite an eye opener! The meat actually leaves the plant ready packaged in the livery of the supermarket it is destined for, and even has the price attached!

They also inject the packages with nitrogen to displace O2 from the meat so that the the blood doesn't oxidise and stays fresh pinky looking without darkening!
Old 02 March 2004, 07:37 AM
wideboyuk
Scooby Regular

All true, when I was a nipper working in a supermarket, the fresh dairy delivery would arrive at 6am and get unloaded off the chiller lorry, then stay out of the shopfloor fridge until about 10am ish depending on how quick the staff worked! Of course it should have been put away in the warheouse fridge but it was too much hassle taking it upstairs so it just got left out!

Out of date mince would be taken off the shelf, then chucked back in the mincer with a dash of blood and a handle of offcuts (which should've been thrown away) and hey presto - luverly bright red, fresh mince!

Mind you it still hasn't put me off my meat!
Old 02 March 2004, 07:46 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Yeah, let's go back to the days when we have to kill our own meat
Let's go back to the days where we support our local butcher / farmers' market.
Old 02 March 2004, 08:42 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

wow...cheese that goes hard....do you know what i heard? some of the bacon used by tescos comes from pigs..yeah, real pigs- and they are filthy so that must be bad.

and as for adding blood..thats gross, its not like the meats been near blood before then
Old 02 March 2004, 09:40 AM
blair
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
and as for adding blood..thats gross, its not like the meats been near blood before then
LoL !!

If i've had a really heavy night the black pudding in my Sunday fry up can sometimes cause me to pause for thought if I think about whats in it

Saying that, I usually eat it anyway
Old 02 March 2004, 09:43 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Tesco's bacon - how nice is all that white crap that comes out of it eh - ends up the size of a postage stamp.

I got some fresh bacon from a quality butchers shop up north and it was wonderful - fecking cheaper that Tesco's also.

Go to any supermarket meat counter - watch as the pleb behind the counter puts their hands amongst the meat - you should notice their hands turn a nice shade of red due to trick lighting they use
Old 02 March 2004, 11:47 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What a bunch of whimps you lot are - Come over to Baku and you'll see beasts being slaughtered in the street .Guts and blood everywhere .The carcass is then crudely butchered and hung up in the open air -no refrigeration .Plenty of flies though.The worst part of this is to see the fear in animals as there is no attempt to shield the creatures from witnessing the throat cutting of th
Old 02 March 2004, 11:52 AM
BexTait
Scooby Regular

Location: Drink, drink, wherever you may be, we are the drunk and disorderly (owner of 5 fairy tokens)

We support local butchers most of the time, tho it is more expensive, but the meat is nicer and we know where it's come from. We get lamb from our own sheep tho (we have a few in our field and get some slaughtered for meat)
Old 02 March 2004, 01:52 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

http://www.realmeatco.sageweb.co.uk/

Here's a fiver off for you to buy decent, organic, no hormones, no growth promoters, no unecessary antibiotics, free range, meat that has watched telly and had a cuddle!

Once you buy their bacon you will NEVER touch that compassion free supermarket cr@p. It doesn’t shrivel up and you can eat it knowing it is natural and the animal was treated decently.

Their chicken is bloody expensive (£13 each) so I tend to buy supermarket free range (£6), but you can buy such TOP steaks there and not worry about eating them!

I'm lucky to have one near me but they do deliveries.

D
Old 02 March 2004, 02:05 PM
King RA
BANNED

Originally Posted by RobJenks
What a bunch of whimps you lot are - Come over to Baku and you'll see beasts being slaughtered in the street .Guts and blood everywhere .The carcass is then crudely butchered and hung up in the open air -no refrigeration .Plenty of flies though.The worst part of this is to see the fear in animals as there is no attempt to shield the creatures from witnessing the throat cutting of th
...of the worms. But you do realise worms have no throats! no throats, no throat cutting. No throat cutting, no fear. Everyones happy.
Old 02 March 2004, 02:45 PM
ChrisB

LOL What makes you think that the people supplying your local butcher are any better? (Unless it's somebody like the people Diesel has linked to).
Old 02 March 2004, 02:48 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

Our local butcher is free range/organic meat and you can really taste the difference between that and supermarket meat. It's actually cheaper than the supermarkets too
Old 02 March 2004, 02:58 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Further to all the remarks about butchers - I used to work as a Saturday Boy in a quality butchers (regarded as the best one in town) and used to see/do far worse things than I ever saw happen in the Tescos I subsequently worked in.

I once dropped a huge (and expensive) steak in the sawdust/blood floor of one of the fridges. It was simply brushed off and place on display.

Last edited by Jerome; 02 March 2004 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03 March 2004, 03:16 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jlanng

I already do.

Chip.
Old 03 March 2004, 03:29 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I was in Sainsburys the other day and saw this this:

Fresh Cod Fillets
8.99kg

Previously frozen . Do not re-freeze.

Chip.