Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Whats the Beeb's best future in fairness to its customers?
Keep it the way it is and preserve the worlds best public service broadcasting.
25.00%
Reduce licence fee substatnially or make it an encrypted subscription.
21.43%
Scrap the compulsory licence. Let them fend for themselves, they are big boys in the real world after all...
53.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Elstein report: abolish BBC licence fee

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2004, 02:14 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Elstein report: abolish BBC licence fee

"The Conservatives will today launch David Elstein's radical proposals for the future of the BBC that will include the abolition of the licence fee and a move towards voluntary subscription".

I could see this coming a mile off after the recent and not so recent spats between BBC and government. I'm a bit torn, as I like the public service ethos of the BBC and the way they can, albeit at huge cost, do niche programming and niche channels such as BBC4. They do however get silver spooned £1billion MORE than ITV earns in the open competitive market, although unlike ITV or SKY the will take you to court & prosecute you if don’t want to watch their programmes but have the cheek to have a telly!

What do you reckon?

D
Old 24 February 2004, 03:44 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I dont see why i should have to pay for a bloated service which holds up dross like Eastenders as a flagship programme.
Old 24 February 2004, 05:15 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Totally agree mate, but it is better quality dross than that rival Coronation St (and the missus loves the long faces in it...)
Old 24 February 2004, 05:34 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Should have been scrapped a long time ago - telly tax as my US mate calls it - it's outdated and out of touch - much like their programmes

Bye bye BBC and good riddance!!!
Old 24 February 2004, 06:14 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I've thought for many years that they should scap the TV licence. Even if you never watch any BBC programmes, you still have to pay.

An encrypted service would require everyone gets a set top box. Who pays for these set top boxes though? Also adds yet another piece of hardware to an already crowded TV stand. Are TV makers expected to start including this bit of kit in TV's for the UK only. That won't push the price up at all...

How much does the admin behind collecting the money cost? They also lose a fortune in lost revenue from non-payers.

Another small plus about scrapping the licence is those weirdos that don't have tellies stop getting hassle for being different. I once didn't have a telly for a while - at the time there wasn't even a place on the licence form to put that you didn't have a telly. Cue lots of threatening letters and a visit from some officious disbelieving twanny.

I also think commercials wouldn't be the end of the world. I prefer adverts during long programmes and films. Not that I'm a slack bladder or anything...

UK adverts are so much better than the annoying crap we get here. They are much more frequent here as well. For example, they go to commercials between the end of a program and the credits FFS! The UK has got nothing to complain about in comparison.