Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Advice required regarding an assault

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2004, 08:38 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice required regarding an assault

My gfs friend was assaulted by her then boyfriend on the way home from the "Peace March" in London late last year.

The case was initially handled by the Met who basically did sweet FA about it until she contacted Kent Police to see if they could chivvy them up.

It took months to get any action out of the Met with the help of the Kent force. She was contacted a few weeks ago by Kent to say that they would be going round to arrest him.

It now turns out that either the Met or Kent police called the guy and said would he mind coming in to make a statement, but dont worry anytime in the next 3 weeks will do - FFS FFS FFS FFS!!!

Are they completely ****ing stupid or what. During the intial stages of Kent Polices' involvement they said that they would try and get hold of the clothes he was wearing on the day and also the same boots that left a foot print on her face!

So do they honestly think he's going to keep those clothes now having been given 3 weeks notice!

What should she do?

Victim Support have said they will speak to Kent. Who should she complain to, what are the channels of complaint open to her?

The guy who beat her up has now started trying to contact her - surely this would be grounds enough for Kent to go and arrest him NOW?

Last edited by Scooby96; 18 February 2004 at 08:40 AM.
Old 18 February 2004, 08:42 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Angry

Thing that really fecking pisses me off is that if I went in to a local shop and nicked a mars bar they'd be round within a day arresting me for such a "henious crime" but others are left to kick and punch the **** out of people with impunity.
Old 18 February 2004, 09:08 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

If you were doing 35 in a 30, you'd get your collar felt. Doesn't give you any confidence in the police. She could always pay someone. I'd press for a restraining order at least even if they don't nick him.

Not a lot worse than that, especially if he gets away with it.
Old 18 February 2004, 01:10 PM
lmsbman
Scooby Regular

What injuries did your girlfriend have? Unfortunately, if they were only minor bruises etc, then this is common assault, for which there is no power of arrest.
Did she have her injuries photographed?
Were there any witnesses?
Seizing his clothes would not be any use unless there is blood on them, as he would just claim that any fibres from your girlfriend were there as a result of them spending the day together. Seizing the boots is a different story.
Does she know which officer/station in the MET dealt with the original complaint. The problem is that Kent can not charge/report him, the MET will have to do it. I would contact the Detective Inspector for the area and ask what the delay is and if you don't get a satisfactory answer, complain to Professional Standards Department.
I presume that she does not want any more contact from him. She should contact Kent and make a complaint of harrassment. The least they should do, is serve a harrassment warning notice on him, so if he contacts her again he can be arrested.
Old 18 February 2004, 03:28 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless it is a serious assault, usually one officer will be dealing. - it could be that he/she is obtaining all witness statements before they bring in the suspect. I have an assault which dates back to mid December and i'm still persuing witness statements which can be a nightmare as people don't stick to appointments, dont return calls are unavailable through the day. I can't really get statements on night shifts and then remember that i have another 10 or so incidents which i'm investigating. And also bare in mind that i'm classed as a response unit - so any priority calls which come in i will have to attend, not forgetting any lock ups from these could take all shift to sort out - and then you will get lumbred with a missing from home etc etc etc.

We do try our best for the victims of crime but most forces are hard pressed for man power - however if you do feel that the quality of service you have had is not acceptable, make a complaint - belive me it will be dealt with seriously.

Last edited by Felix.; 18 February 2004 at 03:34 PM.
Old 18 February 2004, 04:16 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lmsbman
What injuries did your girlfriend have?
He did say it was his g/f's friend.