Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Advice Please - Speeding Summons Wording

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2004, 08:35 PM
Paul N P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Please - Speeding Summons Wording

Just received a summons for speeding. Managed to get caught at the GB Rally this year like many others

I was pulled by a copper on the M4, he was sat on one of the M4 police patrol points and he got me with a laser gun. My Road Angel (with supposed laser detection didn't even go off).

However the court summons says 'detected by automatic camera'. Have the CPS bolloxed up here or is it just loose use of wording on the summons?

I'm trying to sort out a solicitor at the moment, but I'm eager to know what the score might be here.

Last edited by Paul N P; 05 February 2004 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05 February 2004, 09:38 PM
SyHightower
Scooby Regular

check out http://www.pepipoo.com/

might help

simon
Old 07 February 2004, 01:01 PM
Paul N P
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately no help.

Any ideas anyone?
Old 07 February 2004, 01:26 PM
wazza2770
Scooby Regular

It is probably a play on words, but if CPS have said you have been caught on an automatic camera then they are wrong and they should re word there summonds. It all depends on what you want to do about it?
If you are pleading Guilty then let it go but if you are pleading Not guilty then speak to citizens advice and or a solicitor, because if the summonds does not read right then you have been summonds incorrectly as you said you were caught by an officer with a laser gun, that is NO WAY a camera unless of course it was from a speed enforcement van that has a video camers attached to the laser. But going on what you have said it sounds Not. Dont forget the CPS can always change the words of a summonds and make representation in court when you appear and modify the matter. If they dont then i suggest you challenge them you were summonsed by the fact you were caught by a camera "Ask to see the photo"

Only you can make your mind up, but speak to a solicitor first before taking any action.
Old 07 February 2004, 01:29 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

It was probably an LTi 20-20 speedscope which is an operator controlled laser device with built-in camera. It should have told you on your NIP what the device was.
Old 07 February 2004, 01:39 PM
Paul N P
Scooby Regular

I was actually stopped by the copper that got me and made to sit in the back of his car. First time this has happened to me so I didn't ask all the questions I should've asked.

This all happened at night time, I didn't realise they normally lasered people at night, but I do now.

Whatever they got me with just looked like a portable black box with my speed displayed on the front. It was probably 3 inches square from the front and about 10 inches long.

I asked the copper if it was recently calibrated, he said it was, I asked him when and the calibration stamp was dated June 2003. Given this was Nov 2003, I didn't consider that to be recent, but I'm not sure what frequency these things should be calibrated.

I wasn't shown any video evidence at the time, despite asking how they could prove it was me doing the speed showing on the device, the copper said he could prove it was me but wouldn't tell me how.
Old 07 February 2004, 09:09 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

for the purposes of callibration...

it depends if the sticker read

callinbration due june 2003 or calibrated june 2003

from an audit purpose, if the sicker stated due june 2003 and it was after this date,

it would throw into question the validity of any readings taken,

however if a certificate was produced and found to be within date, that would be acceptable for the purposes of the readings given,

however it would go as a non com for audit, and require corrective action by the next audit.

mart
Old 08 February 2004, 07:31 AM
Paul N P
Scooby Regular

Mart,

Thanks for your response. I'm fairly positive that the sticker was effectively 'last calibrated June 2003'. I've got no idea of the normal calibration frequency for these things though.

Paul
Old 08 February 2004, 12:00 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

Paul,

out of interest, how long did it take for the summons to come through?
how fast were you clocked at? - if you dont mind me asking.
Old 08 February 2004, 03:27 PM
Paul N P
Scooby Regular

Summons took 4 months to come through after being caught.

I'm not going to own up to the exact speed, but I could be looking at a ban here.