Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Breitling (FAO Yoza)

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2004, 07:14 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Breitling (FAO Yoza)

In the last "i'm thinking about getting an Omega speedmaster" thread, you said you had your Breitling hat on and suggested i look at the Avenger Seawolf and other Breitling models.

All i can say is wow, my decision just got harder. I've been to look at an Avenger Seawolf in a local dealer (along with the Super Avenger and Omega Snoopy Speedmaster while i was there). I've also been inspecting a Cosmonaute flyback which belongs to a colleague at work - totally amazing!

I've read on the net that it's pretty standard to get up to 35% discount when buying in official Breitling USA dealers if you haggle. Is there a similar tradition in the UK? I don't want to come across as a total peasant!

Top of my list now are the Cosmonaute (SS bracelet), Avenger Seawolf and Super Avenger (in that order), any views/opinions on these?

Cheers!
Old 04 February 2004, 08:21 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 04 February 2004, 10:18 AM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

Wink how about an Omeaga 007 Ltd edition ???

did have a post in for sale section b4 new format, automatic ltd edition, only 10,007 in world all sold out now, only looking for £1400...................

very desirable watch, only worn 1/2 times immaculate condition.
Old 04 February 2004, 11:50 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Well I'm not Yoza, but do have a Breitling - its great; it tells the time really well

Had it about 5 years & forget which model it is - it has two LCD panels and a rotating bezel (which is no good for diving as it is not unidirectional). Great watch, made of titanium, loads of functions and loses about 1" a year - ohh and it doesnt feel like you have a Range Rover spare wheel strapped to your wrist . I bought it at Selfridges when they had a 10% off day via Amex. You may want to enjoy a free holiday in USA though to get your discount - if you can really get 35%. Warranty will be fine as you are a global international jetsetter with homes in many countries!
Old 04 February 2004, 11:57 AM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Question

I'm off to Florida to get married in May and wouldnt mind a Brietling with a 35% discount

Any one have any idea's of where to buy them in Florida???

Cheers

Bob
Old 04 February 2004, 03:07 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

I have my eye on an Avenger, I'll wait to see what Snet's resident watch expert has to say first.
Old 04 February 2004, 03:13 PM
ANDYUK300
Scooby Regular

the international plaza shopping mall in Tampa. been into a jewellery shop and tried on a $28000 solid gold breitling. totally bling bling.
Old 04 February 2004, 03:51 PM
yoza
BANNED

Thats it, youve had it now........Oh what to choose?

The Navitimer Cosmonaute is quite a bit more ££s than the original SeaMaster you were after, £2000 plus if I remember correctly.
Nice watch though, I think a chrono, ie three sub dials always looks the money compaired to a single faced chronomat, and obviously usable.

The bezel on this watch is bi-directional and not racheted, the feel is smooth a precise. The bracelet your after is known as the Navitimer bracelet, it has 7 links across its width, dont get palmed of with a 5 link band. I dislike the fact that the crown is not screwed in.

You seem to have jumped from a divers watch, to an aviation styled watch. Which means you dont actually know what you want.

I mentioned a SeaWolf because it was diver orientated, but if your open to aviation styles there is only one in this price range(ish) for me.
A Colt Chrono Avenger (if funds could stretch, WITH optional UTC watch).
Handle one you will be amazed, its huge but lightweight, due to its main composit being Titanium. It looks similar to the SeaWolf but it is a Chrono. It looks and performs miles better than the Wolf.

You wont get 35% off any MRP in the UK, if you do let me know.

PS. Im not an expert, I just like my watches and own one or two , of the brands that have been metioned.

You must also (whilst your there ) examine and handle a B1, and any member of the Emergency series.......

Later Yoza.(still in a Breitling mood)
Old 04 February 2004, 04:22 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I quite fancy an aerospace myself
Old 04 February 2004, 05:35 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Thanks to everyone who replied, been at work so couldn't reply sooner.

Yoza, you're right in saying that i don't know what i want. I did want a Seamaster, partially based on my available budget. However the company bonus has just been announced so the budget went up a bit.

I'd much prefer an aviation styled watch to a divers style watch (i have a G-Shock for diving!). All i can say for certain is that i want something of excellent quality, preferably mechanical movement, looks nice and will hopefully hold its value.

A colleague of mine has a Cosmonaute which he let me look at, steel bracelet, RRP £3100ish, it's a stunning piece of kit. I was at a local Breitling dealers at lunchtime perusing a 2001 (but still brand new) Cosmonaute with steel bracelet but without a date window. RRP was £2250ish in 2001, they said they'd do it for £2000. I also really liked the Super Avenger and B-2 models, and thought the Avenger Seawolf was rather tasty too.

So i'm definatly in a Breitling mood, bonus doesn't get paid until March so i have a while to mull over my wish list. Cheers for the advice!
Old 04 February 2004, 07:44 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

My current watch is a B-1 and I'm hoping that the Chrono Avenger I've ordered will be ready to collect tomorrow () (is this the same as a "Colt Chrono Avenger" yoza?)

Anyway, if the Super Avenger is on your list - great, but check it out in person first.
The Chrono Avenger is "big" (44mm diameter, 17.6mm thick, 100grams (Titanium))
The Super Avenger is "massive" (48.4mm diameter, 18.6mm thick, 153grams (Steel))

The Cosmonaute looks pretty good too (might get one someday). Quite a busy dial though and you'll have to adjust to being able to read the 24-hour analogue dial. (eg it looks like quarter past three, but it's actually reading 06:15 etc...)

If you can be bothered with browsing a flash based site, check www.breitling.com and enjoy!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Oh - also try here for more help: http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...eadt&frm_id=16

And lastly... (I really should get out more!) - Next time you're in the dealers, ask for a current Breitling catalogue (the Chronolog 04), if you haven't already, plus the price list.
The catalogue, because it's excellent and very drool-worthy! (Trust me - you'll like it )
The price list, because some dealers have a nasty habit of listing prices above the standard RRP.

Last edited by RichS; 04 February 2004 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04 February 2004, 07:48 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Diesel - if yours has a slide rule on the bezel, it's probably the Chronospace. If not, then it's the Aerospace.
(Emergencys and B-1's also have the screens, but don't match your description.)
Old 04 February 2004, 07:53 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I just had a look at an US discounted website and it is the Aerospace, but with a font for the 12, 3, 6, 9 numbers more like the Emergency - i.e not huge and Italicised and a bit unsubtle!!!

I think you HAVE to go to the States to buy one - you will get such a free holiday with what you save...
Old 04 February 2004, 08:05 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

True.
Even though the US prices are usually discussed excluding sales tax, the RRP price differential and bigger available discounts would justify a trip...

Group buy trip to the US anyone?
Old 04 February 2004, 08:07 PM
yoza
BANNED

Rich,
I was under the impression that the SuperAvenger, ChronoAvenger, AvengerSeawolf, and ChronoAvenger M1 were all part of the Colt range.

But I may be wrong. Anyway you have got the right watch

Colt Chrono, or just chrono.

A word of warning dont knock it about or leave it lying on the side of its case, as the 'dull' finish of the Titanium when knocked or scratched turns shiney(same for the bracelet). Dont worry though you would have to be a bit daft, or an animal to mark it up.

Enjoy it.......
Old 04 February 2004, 08:21 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Hey yoza

Thanks - I'll try my best
The B-1 has had a year's worth of beating and still looks good (although I've somehow managed to scratch the unscratchable crystal (actually probably just the anti-glare coating). It's barely visible, but I know it's there, so it'll have to be replaced!)

Regarding the names, we're probably both right.

Breitling have a habit of changing names around from time to time.
The current ranges are:
- Navitimer (which includes the Cosmonaute, Bentley model, various other Navitimers etc)
- Windrider (which includes their best seller, the "Chronomat" (which is nothing like the original "Chronomat" which was the predecessor to the original Navitimer))
- Professional (which includes the Emergency, B-1, Aerospace and so on..)
- Aeromarine (which includes the SuperAvenger, ChronoAvenger, AvengerSeawolf, ChronoAvenger M1, SuperOcean, Colt Quartz etc)

Cheers

Rich
Old 04 February 2004, 09:14 PM
yoza
BANNED

Thats that cleared up then.

Have you noticed nobody has mentioned Rolex.

I wonder why?

Something to do with the last Rolex thread, maybe.

Iwan just as a matter of interest. Visit Poljot.com and have a look at their RUSSLAN Blue Angel (models)........Ring any bells.
Whilst your there check out the specs and prices of their aviation range.

Last edited by yoza; 04 February 2004 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04 February 2004, 09:20 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Timex anybody!!!

seriously,,,

when i visit luxembourg airport, they have the breitling watch with the international distress beacon !!

never get to see the prices, cos there always flipped to the back of the display

i suppose its a case of if you have to ask how much, you cant afford it...

do like the dual face ones though

Mart
Old 04 February 2004, 09:37 PM
yoza
BANNED

They are part of the Emergency range, and not as expensive as you may imagine, £2600ish and above.

They transmitt a signal on 121.5 MHz which is the aircraft emergency frequency. You unscrew a cap on the R/H side of the watch which when extended deploys an antenna and the signal is sent. It will broadcast for upto 48hrs and can reach a distance of 100miles depending on the terrain. In the case the watch comes in there is a reciever, you can test your watch by depressing a 'test' button on the back of the watch case with a ballpoint pen or similar.

When I bought mine, 'cough' years back, they told me there was a £2000 fine for miss use, so no showing off in the pub.
They know if youve fiddled with it because as soon as the cap is opened a seal is broken, and can only be re-placed by an official Breitling service center.
It even has 'USE ONLY IN CASE OF REAL EMERGENCY' stamped on the back..

PS. Not being able to get the key in the front door early on a Sunday morning does not constitute an 'emergency'. Even if it does feel like at the time.

Last edited by yoza; 04 February 2004 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04 February 2004, 10:34 PM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

Smile

So what are people's opinions on the IWC Fliegerchronograph.

Si
Old 04 February 2004, 11:24 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

yoza - that is seriously
Old 05 February 2004, 12:20 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine has a Breitling Emergency. Fabulous pub-talk tool
"If I just unscrew this bit, the Seakings come to get me..." etc etc

Probably part of the urban legend, but I believe when they were first issued, you couldn't buy one in the US unless you could produce your pilots licence

... Oh and apparently they work
Old 05 February 2004, 06:33 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Cheers RichS and Yoza.

I checked out all of the sites mentioned, the guy who runs the TimeZone forum also has a pretty good Unofficial Breitling FAQ website which is a mine of information. I'v ebeen reading up as much as possible over the last few days and trying to know my caliber 17 from my caliber 22 etc!

I've got the 2004 chronolog and price list now so i think i need to re-read it until i can narrow down what i want. Also got a few trips to Breitling dealers planned to try some more models on and get haggling for discount!

If/when i do get something, i'll post a picture on here.

Cheers,

Iwan
Old 05 February 2004, 06:39 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RichS
Probably part of the urban legend, but I believe when they were first issued, you couldn't buy one in the US unless you could produce your pilots licence
You might be right there, i think they still ask for a drivers license or social security card number in the states to track who's got them.

If you're after a distress beacon then its probably better/cheaper to get a standalone unit from somewhere like SeaMarshall like this one http://www.mrtbeacons.com/plb8lr.html, i have one in the loft somewhere - never had to use it yet!

The Breitling one is definately cooler though!
Old 01 December 2004, 06:50 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Sorry to drag an old thread up, but I was clearing out my favourites...

Iwan, if you're still here - what did you decide on in the end?
Old 01 December 2004, 07:41 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Okay,this is where i bought my breitling earlier this year.
ftp://upload.ntlworld.com/paul123/coltgmt.jpg

Basically i rang round Goldsmiths until i got the price i wanted.Then they delivered it to my local goldsmiths.

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/R684LN63...e_locator.html

I can recommend

Goldsmiths
12-16 Spurriergate York YO1 9QR
Telephone:
01904 611 630

and ask to speak to Nicola.

Got 15% off a new model,larger discounts availabe on more established models.
Old 01 December 2004, 07:57 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RichS
Sorry to drag an old thread up, but I was clearing out my favourites...

Iwan, if you're still here - what did you decide on in the end?
Yup still here mate. It's a long story but in the end i went for this:

But i wasn't 100% happy with it so i sold it on eBay and bought this instead:

Bought both in Watches of Switzerland (Cardiff Branch) and got 15% off both by haggling.

Totally happy with the Avenger Seawolf, it rocks.
Old 01 December 2004, 08:32 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

The Super Avenger is "massive" (48.4mm diameter, 18.6mm thick, 153grams (Steel))
Are you $hitting?? That's nearly 3/4 of an inch thick! Not to mention the best part of 2" diameter, never mind the weight! Be like wearing a brake disk on your wrist.

BTW I don't own and never wear a watch.
Old 02 December 2004, 11:14 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Iwan - Thanks for the pics I'm now looking at a Navitimer, but haven't decided which yet...

Jap2Scrap - yup it's pretty big. Breitling do make large watches, but the Super Avenger one of the biggest they make. I guess if you've got to have the arms and wrists to suit...
Old 02 December 2004, 12:44 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

The Avenger Seawolf is almost as big as the Super Avenger, there's not much in it really. It's doesn't feel heavy at all though being made of titanium. Only thing to watch (pun) is if you wear shirts with tight cuffs - it's hard to do them up round the watch.

So i've been wearing shirts with the sleeves rolled up a bit more recently, Clarkson style.