Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Heads Roll....

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2004, 10:33 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

The Chairman of the BBC Gavyn Davies has resigned.

About time someone got it in the neck for something.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3434661.stm

UB[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 28 January 2004, 10:39 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Not the result I would have expected, perhaps Hutton is after a knighthood? But, no he already has one. Tone has come out smelling of roses, there you go....

UB
Old 28 January 2004, 10:57 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

A total cover up if you ask me. Dr Kelly is dead and can't come back and upset the apple cart, no one knows who any of the Govt. "officials" are so despite the fact that clearly the document was, at the very least, exaggerating the threat of WOMD, the Govt comes out in the clear.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I simply don't beleive the Hutton Report was entirely independent or accurate.
Old 29 January 2004, 10:56 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thinking back Blair would always counter accusations of 'sexing up' intelligence with "let's wait for the Hutton report's findings". Seems to me that he knew the outcome would be favourable.
Old 29 January 2004, 11:14 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

bet you a fiver the report was actually written by Alastair Campbell!!
Old 29 January 2004, 11:21 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

'Seems to me that he knew the outcome would be favourable'

Seems to me he wasn't sure if Hutton would find out that he was responsible. If he had admitted it he would have had to resign and if he denied it and Hutton pointed the finger he would have to resign. If he wasn't responsible then he could have denied it from the outset...
Old 29 January 2004, 11:24 AM
icantthinkofone
Scooby Regular

so despite the fact that clearly the document was, at the very least, exaggerating the threat of WOMD
And you'd know that - how? ISTR the aforementioned Dr Kelly didn't seem to think it so exaggerated.

(Not that I wouldn't like to see Mr B struggle a bit...)
Old 29 January 2004, 07:37 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

And you'd know that - how?
Hmm, let's see would it be:

a) I'm guessing

or

b) The coalition forces have failed to find any evidence of, let alone any actual, weapons of mass destruction and even the head of the CIA has resigned and says that he thinks none will be found.

I wonder which it could be...

the aforementioned Dr Kelly didn't seem to think it so exaggerated
Actually he did, thats why he spoke out against the document and created this whole debacle.

Are you living in a parallel universe or something?

[Edited by NotoriousREV - 1/29/2004 7:40:01 PM]
Old 30 January 2004, 11:19 AM
icantthinkofone
Scooby Regular

Sorry, that doesn't constitute knowing: even the intelligence lot seem not to *know*: you have formed the opinion / believe that.. based on what you are told by various sources. I disagree that it's all so self evident.

Ask for Dr K, istr a certain interview where he states the risk is very real and should not be underestimated - or maybe I am living in a paralell universe.

Ok, so I'm being akward, I'm just fed up of people who've seen a couple of horizon progs thinking they know better than everyone else - including those whose job it is to know. Questioning things is good IMHO, but there's s lot of "Opinions spoon-fed by media syndrome" going around..

Don't take it personally

[Edited by icantthinkofone - 1/30/2004 11:21:25 AM]
Old 30 January 2004, 11:28 AM
andrew6321
Scooby Regular

so seeing as you're so critical of everyone who 'thinks they know'...what makes you so confident that you know any different?
Old 30 January 2004, 11:39 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

bet you a fiver the report was actually written by Alastair Campbell!!
I doubt it. Alistair Campbell would have spread a bit of blame onto the government to give the report some credibility
Old 30 January 2004, 12:01 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

And also maybe because the americans have just confirmed that there was no threat from WOMD.

Codoleeeeeeza rice made a statement about it.

Can't remember where it is but the is a post about it on here somewhere maybe in CWE.
Old 30 January 2004, 12:58 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

teflon tone strikes again!!!!

Mart
Old 30 January 2004, 03:39 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

This is what I do not understand.

BBC journalist is contacted by a respected and sensior advisor to the government, he is officialy quoted and was on record making his claims of the "sexing up" of figures to justify the war with Iraq.

Isnt this the whole point about Journalism they are stories which can be verified by the person making the comments.

What did the BBC do wrong, they received a story from source and ran with it.

Just because the story affected the people in power within the current government, it doesnt stand to right that the right to free speech be affected in this manner.

Just because Dr Kelly ended his life does not take this matter away from human rights.

The BBC board and managers should be unaffected by this episode they did what journalists are paid to do report stories. That can be colleberated.

If the comments are wrong the burden lies on the person that made them, hence why they are asked to go "on the record".

The current Labout government stinks of sleaze and corruption. ANd the BBC will be here when this government has fallen to its knee's and survive the one after that and the one after that.

I fell that strongly about this I will make sure im available to vote this year.
Old 30 January 2004, 04:27 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

From Sky News...

A Guardian opinion poll today reveals that almost half the population does not trust either the BBC nor the Government - while more than half believe the report was a whitewash.

A Populus survey for The Times found Mr Blair has been harmed almost as much as the BBC.

More than a third of those questioned took a less favourable view of Mr Blair as a result of the Hutton report.

According to a YouGov poll, 56% of voters believe the Hutton report was a whitewash.

Despite his findings, the poll found 67% of people still trust BBC news journalists to tell the truth and 31% trust the Government.

Old 30 January 2004, 08:28 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Sorry, that doesn't constitute knowing
You're quite right, but I beleive the head of the CIA when he says that none will be found more than I beleive Blair and Bush when they say that some will, and I also beleive that the head of the CIA has better information than I do.

Also, if they can find a dictator hiding in a hole in the ground, why can't they find WOMD that can be made available for use in 45 minutes?