Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone use a Canon G5 or Ixus 400 cam?

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2004, 01:29 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After several centuries of reading reviews and comparing prices around the globe, I have settled on getting one of these digital cameras

Does anyone own either and have any comments good or bad? Also is getting a 512Mb mem card a bit of overkill?

Thanks for helping me nail this life changing decision

D

PS any other reccomendation welcome?
Old 28 January 2004, 03:03 PM
On-The-Wagon
Scooby Regular

Hi Diesel

I have a G5 and think it's great. I bought it just before a cycling trip through Egypt and it performed really well. It's very easy to use, with (for me) all the controls in the right places, and the results have been outstanding (within my own artistic limits). Some of my piccies have been published in a charity magazine so they are at least good enough for that!

I use it mainly for outdoors, naturally lit stuff, so can't really comment on low-light/flash exposure use; I have had prints done at A4 (12x8) size and they are great, and could easily go bigger. The battery lasts for ages which is important for me, and the build quality is also great (I have dropped it once and it also bounces around on my bike a lot).

I have entered a photo in the photo competition; it was taken at max resolution in macro, but has had to be cropped and cut down to 800x600 for the competition.

Lastly (you'll be pleased to hear!) I have a 256MB CF card and it holds about 100 images at maximum resolution. Personally I could do with more storage as I am away from a PC quite a bit, but could obviously just buy more cards to solve that.

Sorry I can't offer a better review; if you'd like any sample images I can upload some somewhere...

HTH slightly

Ian
Old 28 January 2004, 03:05 PM
ChrisB

Quickly...

I've got the Ixus 400 - super piece of kit. Great partner to my SLR - I take it so many more places as you can drop it in your pocket and not really notice the size/weight.

I'd suggest 2 x 256MB cards. Then if one gets lost, damaged, corrupted etc, you might not lose all your photo's from an event or holiday.

Will dig up some sample pics later

HTH,

Chris.

[Edited by ChrisB - 1/28/2004 3:33:26 PM]
Old 28 January 2004, 03:21 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

I have the IXUS and can't fault it I'm not a pro photographer and all I do is snap away but it allways gives me good results.

agree with above to buy a few smaller cards rather than 1 big one.

Craig
Old 28 January 2004, 04:02 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I've heard good things about both models. The final decision should rest on whether you want small and portable (Ixus) or high quality and flexible (G5). There's nothing wrong with either, they're just designed for different markets. Pick them up in a shop and have a play - you'll probably fall for one or the other.

A 512MB card probably is overkill, although this does depend a bit on how long you expect to be away from your PC. 2x256MB cards, as others have said, means you don't lose everything if you drop one (although CF cards are pretty much indestructible). If you want more capacity, consider a portable hard disc/card reader - I have a 20GB unit and have never even needed that much, and I shoot a LOT of photos.
Old 28 January 2004, 08:54 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Smile

I came up with the same alternatives for my wife ! They are both fantastic, but very different.

Basically I wanted the G5 as I'm into photography and have a D60. But I also recognised that it was considerably bigger and heavier than the IXUS 400.

After about an hour in Jessops we opted for the IXUS 400 as it was the sort of camera we'd take everywhere, whereas the G5 would often get left at home.

The most annoying thing about the G5 is that it has a lens cap that is very easily knocked off when you put it into a bag.

We got a 256Mb card which is plenty. If you want to take it on a long holiday then get a second card, but it will last about as long as the battery if you're staying local. Having said that, if we'd got a G5 I'd have gone for 512Mb as the battery is way better (& bigger).

I'd recommend a trip to Jessops to try them both out. BTW Jessops will price match a UK web site - I went in armed with evidence to get me £100 off whichever one we decided on.

Comet have the IXUS 400 at £298.99 and AJ Electronics have the G5 for £399.00
Old 28 January 2004, 09:08 PM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

I have a G3 (basically a 4MP G5 in silver) and it can be pretty impressive. It's also taken some BAD pictures that suffer from Moire effect - which was never an issue with my Olympus digital. The battery life is very impressive. You'll want more than 256MB - I have 2 256s and a 32, and ran out of room only once (on vacation).
Old 28 January 2004, 09:14 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

btw on another thread there was talk that Canon will announce near on 20 new models this year (as it's an olympic games year). There is some big show in the US in Feb (PMA????) where they often announce new models.

Hence I was going to get a 400 and am hanging on.

regards,

greg

[Edited by gregh - 1/28/2004 9:18:02 PM]
Old 28 January 2004, 11:07 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Just saw this thread.

Both are cracking cameras. Sister has the IXUS (I used it a lot over Xmas) and I've played with the G5 for a couple of days.

If you want a camera to take anywhere, take shots in most situations etc. then the IXUS is the right choice.

If you want to spend more time composing shots and playing with all manner of manual settings the G5 is more suited. The G5 is very much like a proper digital SLR but without the interchangeable lenses.

Yes, PMA show in Feb in Las Vegas. Cameras announced there are usually in stores in the UK by April.

Anyway, both cameras are very good and you wouldn't go wrong with either IMHO.

Cheers

Ian
Old 29 January 2004, 12:58 AM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

don't forget the s50 - all the manual capabilities of the g4/5 (ixus doesn't and also has less accessible menu system)but 'girlfriend friendly' and pocketable - quite cheap now too.

Paul
Old 29 January 2004, 07:47 AM
J1nxy
Scooby Regular

I tried the S50 and found that it really struggled to focus in anything other than good light. I went to the Sony V1 which you can get for almost the same price as the G5 and it produced really nice pictures and because of its laser focus light i'd focus in total darkness.

Steve
Old 29 January 2004, 11:36 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

It was all going very well till you said that jinxy!!!That Sony does get cracking reviews, but not mad on the square retro styling.

So thanks to all of your advice I’ve just gone for the G5 for £285 ($509USD) and a couple of 256 mem cards. I should have gone for the Ixus as its more girlfriend friendly, but, TOUGH!!! It gets delivered to an American mate and he’ll bring it over on Tues.

Thanks again for your help & advice.
Old 29 January 2004, 03:38 PM
On-The-Wagon
Scooby Regular

£285?!? B*gg*r! I paid twice that last July!

Good choice though; I tried the Sony V1 and it took great shots but the ergonomics were awful for me, just couldn't get on with it.

Enjoy the G5
Ian
Old 30 January 2004, 12:04 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

[When it came to pressing the online order ‘submit’ button I went for the Sony; it’s cos it was smaller (its for the missus really), focuses in the dark night with no bother and has much less chromatic aberration than the Canon. Ergonomics ARE bad for me but her hands are smaller . £280 + £50 for a 256MB memory stick duo pro that will fit in my phone too (probably!)] It is now all over
Old 30 January 2004, 12:26 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Have to say that the portability of the ixus edges it for me. (I bought an Ixus V3 for the Good Lady last Christmas, and it goes everywhere).

The results are fantastic, especially when printed by a commercial printer - Asda do 7x5 prints for 20p each, and I can't fault 'em.

Quality-wise, I reckon that on some aspects the output is markedly better than my Fuji 6900z.

The 400 has increased pixel count and a better zoom. Recommended.
Old 30 January 2004, 12:51 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Really Chris, "it goes everywhere"

The mind wanders

Darren
Old 30 January 2004, 01:01 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Darren,

Yup

And it's "Nick", not Chris

Cheers,
Chris
(short for Nick)
Old 30 January 2004, 01:26 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Sorry Nick, I looked through post and saw Chris (ChrisB) post. I then assumed you were the same mod My bad

Darren
Old 30 January 2004, 01:58 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

We are really. We just don't tell people. In fact, we're all just aspects of SDB's persona, as is Shaun
(Back on topic with my apologies)
Old 30 January 2004, 06:36 PM
J1nxy
Scooby Regular

Diesel

Was it the Standard Mem Stick Pro or the duo?? as the duo is smaller and wont fir without the adapter...

Steve
Old 30 January 2004, 07:16 PM
londonpaul
Scooby Regular

I got the 400 its excellent. I bought a 1 gig card (total idiocy) and found the following problem - the access time was quite long so it increased the delay between pressing the button and the picture being taken - incredibly annoying.

moral of the story - check the card speed as well as the memory size
Old 31 January 2004, 06:55 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Yep I have the Duo to full size adapter Steve - still slightly crossing fingers that it will fit the camera... Also unsure that the phone handles 'Pro'. Someone has to be a trailblazer cos no one else I asked knew

I checked the price for the 236k memory in UK - its an absurd £170. Might bring a handful back!